SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 9th May 2006, 13:23

Default Nice to see you!

I love reading about people's triumphs over SA and now i have one of my own to talk about !!!

For years i've struggled with SA, trying to cope the best way i can (usually by avoiding situations!!) until i recently i sought help from a therapist. I've only had a few sessions so far and i still haven't made my mind up if i like it or not, although i keep going back for more! However yesterday i suprised myself by doing something i've feared doing for a long long time and had it not been for a little encouragement from my therapist i don't think i would ever have done it. It was my homework mission, to confront a few fears and write about how it made me feel, my fears and the outcome. The mission i chose was to wear my glasses to work. It might not sound like a biggy to anyone but to me it was something i felt i could never do. The thought of people staring at me and asking me qeustions!! I would just draw too much attention to myself and so i chose to struggle with my poor eye sight. But i did it! I worried about it all weekend and i felt sick to my stomach when i got up yesterday but i did it, and it wasn't that bad either! I felt very proud of myself yesterday so i just wanted to share it with other people. Hopefully it will be the first of many accomplishments!
Old 9th May 2006, 15:24

Default Re: Nice to see you!

Well done munch! Did you have many people ask you about them? If you continue to wear them, nobody will notice after a few days.

I have to wear glasses all the time, or I couldn't get anything done!

Godfather - nobody asked to try my glasses on at school after I gave them a withering look and told them to p*ss off a few times. Each pair costs around £200, so they're just too expensive to be letting people try them, plus I didn't wanna be wiping other people's greasy fingerprints off them!
Old 9th May 2006, 19:12

I guess i should count myself lucky that my work colleauges didn't want to try them on! The attention i received wasn't half as full on as i expected, in fact when people didn't mention them it started me thinking that maybe they didn't suit me and wishing that they would have commented! I had a few stupid questions like "why are you wearing glasses" and "what's with the specs" (quite obvious i would have thought!) but on the whole people just commented on how nice they looked.
Old 9th May 2006, 20:10

WD! Glasses make you even more sexy and sophisticated Yay!

I dont wear mine anymore so I cant be sexy.

Seriously tho, People who ask to wear them I find easier to simply say fck off, its annoying.
Just a suggestion.
Old 9th May 2006, 20:37
Intro Guy

Well done, munch
Closed Thread