SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 20th October 2008, 09:23
Banned at own request

Mood
Blah

Default Clear segregation of groups

I'm waiting at my train station for off peak time and there's evidently a school trip or something going down. To the casual eye it just looks like a mess of people however, from my observational position each group is clearly segregated. You've got the attractive girls (from the stereotype) in a group, the geeks in a group, the goths in a group, the troublemakers in a group and I reckon I've even spotted one or two 'shy' people trying to vanish. Nothing particularly special about that except how easily noticeable it is. I'm just mentioning it as I never really noticed it before and it just fascinated me how we try so hard to differenciate ourselves from others. What this has to do with SA I don't know, But I felt I had to mention it.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:21

Mood
Inspired

Default Re: Clear segregation of groups

I think it helps to combat SA to carefully observe how people REALLY behave and not how your fears tell you they behave .
Of course its also a good idea to not jump to conclusions too quickly as to why each group behaves as it does.
Old 20th October 2008, 13:25

Mood
Curious

When I was at school there was never any differentiating labels for groups. Chavs didn't exists, there wasn't a goth in sight, no geeks, just a big bunch of people.

But of course, they did find their own group. Not so much as a way of differentiating themselves from others, but mingling with like minded people where they'd feel comfortable. Something that's happened throughout civilisation I'm sure.
Old 20th October 2008, 13:53

Mood
Fine

Yeah, I always notice things like that, it's funny how wherever you are people always seem to be split into certain groups.
Old 20th October 2008, 14:34

Mood
Cool

I'm usually a reasonable observer of human behaviour and i've never really noticed this. It usually seems to me to be a good mix, it's not often i come across an obvious "segregation" of people.
Old 20th October 2008, 17:48

Mood
Inspired

Well, it is like that at school..all the groups
And there's the lil loner standing in the corner. Tis pure sad.
and I don't even fit in with the goths.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:11

i sat with the drug heads in high school lol to me they were the closest i could relate to
Old 20th October 2008, 19:10

In preschool I was very popular, I remember I had this small group, all 3 of us and I was like the leader. I was always the one who "kicked" people out of the group and then invited them back the next day once In break time I was being chased by these group, we were just playing but for some reason when they caught me and were tapping me and stuff I had some sort of a panic attack. I don't know why, there was just so much going on in front of me I couldn't breath and paniced and started crying. After that the 2 guys in my group said that they were going to kick ME OUT of the group but decided to give me 1 more chance! I felt bad for always kicking them out lol

In my 1st primary school I was just the wierdo, my selective mutism was in full power, teachers didn't even bother helping me and I got teased alot.

2nd school I was the same, teachers gave me plenty of grief instead of helping me, students were very mean to me. And this was suppose to be a christian school.

3rd primary school was AWSOMEEE I was still very shy but I had a small group again. For the first few months my selective mutism was still strong but I managed to defeat it with my passion for pokemon. Everyone was really really nice to me, didn't want to leave at all, I was having so much fun.

Secondary school I went back to my old ways but not as bad....I was labled at the wierd quiet one who noone liked but teachers didn't give me grief(This is why english education is the best) instead they tried to help me.

Now I'm at sixth form at the same school, I'm still the loner but noone gives me any grief and I talk more than before.

There is this boy who is exactly like me, I guess he is handling his problems better than me but I'm pretty damn sure he also has social anxiety disorder. like me he walks home instead of waiting in the common room and he doesn't say much. Spoke to him several times but I don't have any clue how to "make friends" anymore unless people spoon feed me with invitations like "come hang with us" but noone does that anymore
Old 20th October 2008, 20:07

Mood
Amused

I remember my year at school being fairly segregated in that people formed themselves into groups based on what they had in common, as you would expect. Not the sorts of groups you could identify just by what they looked like though so much, though that was probably because I went to a school that were there not legal issues, would probably have carried out executions for deviation from the uniform policy.

In retrospect I find it quite funny to recall how people were both promoted and demoted between the social groups as the years wore on. This one guy who was at first a bit of an oddball and in one of the lower social castes had by upper 6th managed to become a fully fledged member of the rugby playing jock brigade with all the benefits that entailed, by becoming essentially the group clown. I now appreciate what a great achievement that was to have been promoted so far, I sat content in one of the lowest castes, 'the nerds and other misfits who couldn't blend in anywhere else' group quite happily watching my teens sink beneath the waves.

I think school is a unique opportunity to see social segregation in practise, never again in our lives are we in a setting like that with so many people we have nothing whatsoever in common with. Because similar kinds of people tend to gravitate towards similar kinds of jobs you never quite get to see it so blatantly again in the workplace I think.
Old 20th October 2008, 20:45

Mood
Grumpy

There's definitely segregation in schools. When I went you could actually see the groups were divided by tables (groups), such as the 'it' girls/guys, the clever ones, etc. and me who didn't really fit in anywhere!
Closed Thread