SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 14th October 2008, 14:44

Default introverts superior to extroverts?

Extroverts seem to think (on the whole) that they are superior because they talk all the time and they think that introverts are somehow dibilitated because we "can't" communicate as well as them....WHATEVER!!!!......i'm starting to believe that we are the better ones because we are strong and silent>>>did anyone ever think of the fact that maybe the reasons extroverts talk a lot is because they don't feel comfortable in silence and it makes them feel out of control to not know whats going on in our heads???? HAHA .....EVERYONE GIVE URSELF CREDIT FOR BEING THE STRONG SILENT TYPE! ............what yalll think?
Old 14th October 2008, 14:55

Default Re: introverts superior to extroverts?

I don't think either are superior. People just have different strengths.

When it comes to SA its not so easy to label people introverted or extroverted. Someone with SA could be naturally extroverted.

Some people can be seen as introverted because of their anxiety, the same as some people can seem extroverted because of their anxiety.
It may not be their natural disposition.
Old 14th October 2008, 14:56

Mood
Dreaming

Well being able to talk when you want to and having control over that is an advantage. I don't think it makes them superior people, but they have superior skills in confidence.
I think being too much or too little of anything is usually bad. People who are TOO loud and can't keep quiet also can suffer in life and be looked down upon. There is a middle ground which is deemed the best, being able to state your point and to talk confidently when you want to, but not being overly loud or annoying people! I don't think any of them are 'superior' to the others though, just different levels of a particular skill.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:00

I would rather be an extrovert. I'd love to be outgoing and loud and not give a damn what others think of me.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
Well being able to talk when you want to and having control over that is an advantage. I don't think it makes them superior people, but they have superior skills in confidence.
I don't think introversion necessarily means there is a lack of confidence. Being naturally introverted is different to SA.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:09

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSwan
I don't think introversion necessarily means there is a lack of confidence. Being naturally introverted is different to SA.
I didn't say it was SA or anxiety was involved. Many introverted people are shy and lack confidence (I'm talking about very introverted people here really). But things are not the same as SA. You can be an extrovert and have SA.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:12

wow im confused .....i think i just dont like talking to people just because i dont like them ................not even a confidence factor involved, its just lack of interest...........what is that called?
Old 14th October 2008, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
I didn't say it was SA or anxiety was involved. Many introverted people are shy and lack confidence (I'm talking about very introverted people here really). But things are not the same as SA. You can be an extrovert and have SA.
I have already said similar in a previous post.

I was just pointing out that being introverted doesn't mean you have a lack of confidence.

I was also responding to you writing this-

"Well being able to talk when you want to and having control over that is an advantage."

That sounds like SA rather than introversion.
Old 14th October 2008, 15:46

Mood
Angelic

I don't think that it is a question of superiority. I think that is a bit like seeking reassurance.

We are all equal. Some of us are equal at home, others at the pub.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:01

Mood
Pensive

I'm afraid I secretly sometimes feel superior to people who talk too much because some people just seem to talk for the sake of talking. They need to learn moderation.

I also feel sorry for some people who talk too much because they don't seem to realise that it's annoying and people often say behind their back: "She never shuts up does she?" Just like they might comment on our silence behind our backs. I suppose there is no right or wrong. The best position to be in I suppose would be to be someone who is capable of both talking and listening in equal measure.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:20

Mood
Crappy

I've known so called 'extroverts' who are quite insecure underneath and talk a lot because they are uncomfortable.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:22

Mood
Cool

Well there may be extroverts who believe themselves to be superior, in fact probably quite a few in my experience but i don't see how either intros or extros can claim themselves superior.

Superior at what exactly?
Old 14th October 2008, 20:27

Mood
Pensive

Just to clarify - in my post I said I feel superior sometimes. I didn't mean I was superior. It's just an unconscious involuntary feeling. I know I'm not superior to anyone.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:28

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie57
Just to clarify - in my post I said I feel superior sometimes. I didn't mean I was superior. It's just an unconscious involuntary feeling. I know I'm not superior to anyone.
That wasn't a pop at you Winnie.
Old 14th October 2008, 20:30

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
That wasn't a pop at you Winnie.
I just thought I'd better clarify as people might take my post the wrong way Also I often feel inferior so it makes a change to feel superior sometimes

Edit: don't know why I put that banana there. Think I clicked the wrong smiley there
Old 14th October 2008, 23:47

know what you mean mark

Get the feeling people can think people with anxiety issues are weak people also

or silly
Old 15th October 2008, 15:36

There's a guy in my building who loves himself and he always seems to have a shady smurk when he goes and is talking to me. I definitely believe he thinks he's superior to me, he's a dumb chav scally though .. wanker.

have a banana
Old 15th October 2008, 16:42

Mood
Sad

If you're really interested in the differences between extraverts and introverts this is difinitely worth a read http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm. I stress really because it's a hell of a read...
Old 15th October 2008, 16:46

You know a thread's getting serious when someone mentions Jungian types.
Closed Thread