definately 10 13.89%
I need a dictionary!! 4 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th March 2011, 20:44

Default Re: realize or realise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiegirl1980
Never mind that- when is it inquiry and when is it enquiry?
There's no difference; they are just alternative spellings of the same word. Most dictionaries (either side of the Atlantic) prefer inquiry, but either is acceptable.
Old 28th March 2011, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasonable Doubt
I'm ridiculously pedantic when it comes to Americanisms creeping into British English, so 'realize' is a big no-no. Mind you, I hate being referred to as 'guy' so perhaps I take it to unnecessary extremes. 'Can I get' instead of 'can I have' gets right on my nerves as well.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not 'I'm gonna take a shower'

It's 'I'm gonna have a shower, or get in the shower'

You don't take the bus to work, you catch the bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azi
But we do pronounce it with a hard 'z' sound (the same one as in zip, rather than sip). Try saying Real Ice then realise, do they sound the same in your dialect?

Listen to a British person say it, then an American. They have more emphasis on the Z.

Nope, they do not sound the same, but when I say realise, it sounds like a S... like in the word cars... but an American says 'cars' and it sounds more like Karrzzs.

A lot do come from German decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmazing
my computer only lets me type realize without the squiggly red line, so to make him happy, i just type that instead.
you use Google chrome too? it's a bugger, it always tells me I'm spelling things wrong, and you can't change the setting to any other kind of English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
I'm the same, I don't care if the Oxford dictionary says it's ok to use or publishers like it.

I agree with Becky, it looks 'American', therefore it looks shit
that's just it... what next? will it be ok to spell colour color? or start pronouncing aluminium aluminum? think of the children.

This morning I was listening to me mother talking and she said 'the other night I dreamed...'. I waited until she finished, and I was talking about how Americans also say dreamed, but as far as I'm aware, most British people say dreamt.

Then she thought up a very old Irish song, which contained the word dreamed in its lyrics. So there you have it. Language thieves.
Old 28th March 2011, 13:43

I should of known this forum was full of grammer nazis.

Old 28th March 2011, 14:20

Sigh... if yer gonna take it literally at least correct the 'grammer' bit too! Haha
Old 28th March 2011, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1789
Listen to a British person say it, then an American. They have more emphasis on the Z.

Nope, they do not sound the same, but when I say realise, it sounds like a S... like in the word cars... but an American says 'cars' and it sounds more like Karrzzs.

A lot do come from German decent.
Cars is with a hard 'z' sound too.
Old 28th March 2011, 18:03

do you know what it is?

where I'm from, we don't say car, bar, bath and what not the way Southern people do. So words naturally sound very different.

In my head, that sentence just read as

Wer am frum, we don't se kar, bar, bath, an' wot not the way Suven peeple do.

The accent is very flat, and lazy... a bit like me aha.
Old 28th March 2011, 18:17

Vowels are slippery little suckers - that 'a' sound has been shifting about in the oral cavity for over a thousand years. (Yours is more front than mine I think for those words.) Listen to newsreaders from the 1950s and they say words like cat almost like ket. Fun stuff.
Old 28th March 2011, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azi
Vowels are slippery little suckers - that 'a' sound has been shifting about in the oral cavity for over a thousand years. (Yours is more front than mine I think for those words.) Listen to newsreaders from the 1950s and they say words like cat almost like ket. Fun stuff.
Lol I always like how they talk in them WW2 announcements, you know, our boys on the Western Front type talk

I also think that Americans sounded so much nicer in them really old films.

I bet everyone around here sounded like exaggerated versions of the cast from Kes

You study linguistics as part of your degree don't you? I bet it is quite interesting actually.

Guess what as well. I talk very well compared to some of the people around here. I do... I'm a Mrs Bucket in the making. What actually happened is this...

I left sixth form and went to university. I did not see any people from my school anymore except for one girl. I felt sooooooo broad speaking compared to these people, so I adapted my accent to fit in more with them... I didn't even mean to do it, I didn't even notice doing it... but for example, I stopped saying dunt instead of don't because basically I didn't wanna sound a dick.

Then the other year I got involved with my girlfriend, who is American. Sometimes I tried (and still do) say things to her without really trying to speak proper, but I get a 'what?', so it's hopeless.

Whereas I never really have trouble trying to understand people with regional accents. Anyway, that was a pointless exploration into my life (sorry eek lol).
Old 29th March 2011, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1789
Lol I always like how they talk in them WW2 announcements, you know, our boys on the Western Front type talk

I also think that Americans sounded so much nicer in them really old films.

I bet everyone around here sounded like exaggerated versions of the cast from Kes

You study linguistics as part of your degree don't you? I bet it is quite interesting actually.
It's awesome, if you like that sort of thing. I graduate in a couple of months - I'm gutted, I could study it forever!

Quote:

Guess what as well. I talk very well compared to some of the people around here. I do... I'm a Mrs Bucket in the making. What actually happened is this...

I left sixth form and went to university. I did not see any people from my school anymore except for one girl. I felt sooooooo broad speaking compared to these people, so I adapted my accent to fit in more with them... I didn't even mean to do it, I didn't even notice doing it... but for example, I stopped saying dunt instead of don't because basically I didn't wanna sound a dick.

Then the other year I got involved with my girlfriend, who is American. Sometimes I tried (and still do) say things to her without really trying to speak proper, but I get a 'what?', so it's hopeless.

Whereas I never really have trouble trying to understand people with regional accents. Anyway, that was a pointless exploration into my life (sorry eek lol).

It's amazing how much our accents (unconsciously, mostly) shift according to who we're with. The associations we have with certain accents is weird too, and how it's all tied up with identity and social class.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azi
It's awesome, if you like that sort of thing. I graduate in a couple of months - I'm gutted, I could study it forever!

It's amazing how much our accents (unconsciously, mostly) shift according to who we're with. The associations we have with certain accents is weird too, and how it's all tied up with identity and social class.
awww lol you're cute, well you'll always have your memories, and maybe the chance of going back to further your study in the future

Yeah definitely. It's silly really, but I'm glad that it's more common now to hear newsreaders with regional accents. You should hear my dad on the phone, I always laugh in my head, because he tries to sound posh, and instead sounds like Frank Spencer (shh don't tell him, he's grumpy).
Old 29th March 2011, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfemptyglass
love it
Closed Thread