SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 17th May 2006, 23:38

Default Most bonkers thing your SA made u do?

Hello,

Last week there was a leaving presentation at my work. I knew the person leaving and wanted to go but knew there would be about 100 people there. So I decided I wasnt going to go. (which was quite upsetting really). Unfortunately i knew that people in another office would come into my office to see if I was going to the presentation and if i told them no then i would get alot of grief for being selfish and ignorant etc.
So what did I decide to do?...........

thats right

I hid under my desk........HID UNDER MY DESK!!!

anyone else done something mental?
Old 17th May 2006, 23:56

Default Re: Most bonkers thing your SA made u do?

ok .. thats pretty impressive :D
Old 17th May 2006, 23:59

Mood
Pensive

When I was living at my parents' I hid under the bed so the window cleaner wouldn't see me.
Old 17th May 2006, 23:59

I tried to break my arm with a hammer to avoid going into school.
Old 18th May 2006, 00:02

I waited 15 minutes in a bank queue, getting almost to the end but then panicking and leaving. Embarassing because of the amount of people in the queue (LOTS) and their bemusement at my hasty retreat.
Old 18th May 2006, 00:05

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerspace
I tried to break my arm with a hammer to avoid going into school.
that's really grim innerspace. i used to cry before school, but i wasn't that bad
Old 18th May 2006, 00:10

u are defo winning dannygirl!
Old 18th May 2006, 00:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullenskink
that's really grim innerspace. i used to cry before school, but i wasn't that bad
Yep, they were grim times though, so it felt like a rational thing to do at the time. I put my arm on two blocks of wood and hit the middle bit with the hammer. The arm did feel like it bent but it wouldn't break though.

I got sent on a course with work once and promised myself I'd commit suicide if they forced me to go. They didn't, so I didn't.
Those were desperately SA times though. It sounds dramatic now, but I meant it at that time. Scary isn't it?
Old 18th May 2006, 00:22
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
I got sent on a course with work once and promised myself I'd commit suicide if they forced me to go. They didn't, so I didn't.
Would you really have gone that far?
Old 18th May 2006, 00:22

iv crept round my school dogding all the teachers so i didnt have to go in the school photo. an lied to my friends so i didnt have go in their car an left a different way so they didnt see me
Old 18th May 2006, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occultus
Would you really have gone that far?
In the state of mind I got into over my SA in those days... yes, probably.
Old 18th May 2006, 00:29

Mood
Sneaky

i know what you mean about it sounding dramatic. personally i find it can be really embarassing admitting how much things have upset me, it makes me feel silly and indulgent. when of course people do get upset by things. you just aren't SUPPOSED to talk about it, which i why i love this place.

well done for making it through all that innerspace.
Old 18th May 2006, 00:35
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
In the state of mind I got into over my SA in those days... yes, probably.
Poor you (and every other person that has found themselves in a similar position).

I figured that I had SA pretty bad over the years: it's pretty much destroyed my social life, but I never, fortunately I think, ever contemplated suicide. In my honest opinion there is nothing in this world that could force me to take my own life; I refuse point blank.
Old 18th May 2006, 00:48

Thanks, sullenskink and Occultus.

I'm a lot more 'together' now than I have ever been, so even I have difficulty understanding how messed up my mind was back then. The things my SA and general anxiety put me through in the past were horrendous. Looking back it is hard to comprehend just how powerful it was, and at times still is.

If I'd not have experienced it myself then I'd have though it melodramatic and exaggerated, but it isn't. That is just the way it was. I was clinging onto life by my fingertips and it wouldn't have taken much to push me over the edge.

Even in my own home I've been known to go out of the back door, round the front then let myself in with my key just to go up to the toilet rather than go through the front room when we had visitors.

In those days I'd rather have took an overdose than have to meet people.
Old 18th May 2006, 00:58

I have avoided people by walking down back-allys and hiding behind fridge-freezers at work.
Old 18th May 2006, 00:59

the great escape springs ta mind.me well i got my willy stuck in a milkbottle....waits for laughter...wot...no...[blushes] no u dont think i would...no it was a hoover.?
Old 18th May 2006, 01:22

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinksrmad
the great escape springs ta mind.me well i got my willy stuck in a milkbottle....waits for laughter...wot...no...[blushes] no u dont think i would...no it was a hoover.?
Why were you trying to hide in a milkbottle ? That's almost as good as trying to have sex lying down in a phone box
Old 18th May 2006, 02:18

i guess i didnt do my maths or things just got out of hand.>
Old 18th May 2006, 08:34

Cowardlylion that is a gem!

Next time, I suggest you say you are having a nice walk in the fresh air. Thats what works for me.
Old 18th May 2006, 09:08

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinksrmad
i guess i didnt do my maths or things just got out of hand.>
Old 18th May 2006, 09:58

Mood
Worried

One morning when I couldn't face going to school I fake puked. My mum knew I was feeling a bit ill anyways (like real-ill) but I didn't feel like I was gonna puke...But to make it look like I'd been sick I chewed up some pretzels and spat them on the floor ...And it worked...

Sorry if I just made anyone hurl lol
Old 18th May 2006, 11:42

ive just remembered another. :D

At my sisters wedding I hid in a cleaners cupboard so i couldnt be found to go in the family wedding photograph.
Old 18th May 2006, 14:24

Mine are all college related, going back to when I was about 20. I'd been attending college for about a month and my one 'friend' who I normally ate lunch with was off sick, so I went to the canteen, but there was no space to sit and I was terrified of eating in front of all these strangers, so I went and ate my sandwiches locked in a toilet cubicle (how unhygienic was that!) so nobody could see me eat...

A couple of months into the course, I decided to leave cos they wanted me to do two presentations to the class, but I didn't even feel able to talk to my tutor, so I just stopped going.

I would still catch the bus as if I was going to college, but would walk round the shops or sit in the park or by the river for five hours, then go home. Then Mum started a part time job, so when she went to work, I stayed at home. Just before she was due back I would leave the house and wander round for a bit, then come back, pretending I'd been to college. One day she came back early, so I had to hide in the cupboard in my room for over an hour until she went out again, not daring to move in case she heard me! I didn't tell my parents I'd left college until six weeks later, so was hiding/pretending for that long!
Old 18th May 2006, 15:42

Mood
Bored

at seconday school i was late for a art lesson,when faced with having to walk into a quiet,packed room..i chickened out,and made out i was ill to a teacher& went home also sat in a field practically all day long in winter lol 2 not go to school and waited till my mum had gone to work,i think ihad frostbite that day.
Old 18th May 2006, 16:38

Smile Re: Most bonkers thing your SA made u do?

Haha you some of you guys are crazee! lol Just wanted to say thanks for those stories coz they well made me smile. Have felt SO sick of SA recently so its good to see the funny side
Old 19th May 2006, 11:21

I used to do the same - before meetings so I could arrive late and sit on me own down the back, and during breaks. Used to slink off before lunch and drive around for the hour too. Anything to avoid the canteen.
Old 19th May 2006, 13:46

Mood
Inspired

Am I wrong to suggest that those things were not "mad" at all but completely rational tricks considering your anxiety at the time ?!
You won't have to use such tricks when youve got rid of your SA but in the meantime they are reasonable way of escape and therefore nothing to beat yourself up about.
You will never defeat Sa by just being ashamed of the symptoms.
Old 19th May 2006, 14:06

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy
Am I wrong to suggest that those things were not "mad" at all but completely rational tricks considering your anxiety at the time ?!
You won't have to use such tricks when youve got rid of your SA but in the meantime they are reasonable way of escape and therefore nothing to beat yourself up about.
I really like that statement,and admire anyone who isn't ashamed of their Sa symptoms! I have to admit I do feel slightly embarassed at times by mine. Very few people know about it though. Anyone who can openly admit how they feel and not be ashamed by it ( not that they should be) is well on there way in my opinion :D
Old 19th May 2006, 14:19

God I can so relate to all the comments re: avoiding a canteen at school or work. In the 6 yrs I've worked with my company I've eaten in the canteen exactly twice. It wouldn't be a prob if I had someone to go with, but I don't! For me it's a throwback to college days when people eating alone in the canteen were considered losers with no friends. I remember not eating for an entire year at boarding school except bread or apples, because I had no friends to sit with.
Also, when I was in a psych ward for 1 month, my ex (bless him) would come to visit every evening so he could come & sit with me at dinner - if he hadn't, I would've hidden in my room every night and eventually starved to death or something.

Last edited by scarlet_diva; 19th May 2006 at 14:53.
Old 19th May 2006, 14:40

Quote:
I think the fact that people are revealing these things means they're not ashamed! It's encouraging that we're all seeing the funny side of our affliction.

I've got another one - about an hour ago I quit the best-paid and best-prospects job I've ever had. It took me five years to find but just being there was so painful it made me do bad things... I won't go into details. Chances are I'll go back to the shop I used to work in and earn half the money in a miserable work environment. It's sheer lunacy of course, but given the chance I'd do it again.

... ****ing SA
Closed Thread