Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th February 2014, 21:03
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

Default Re: I Didn't See That Comming

That smoking would become as socially unacceptable as it is, with laws being passed against it.

Back in the 90's all the pop stars, some footballers and cricketers, and loads of politicians could regularly be seen chuffing away. (I think even Tony Blair was caught having a crafty fag but I may have dreamt that). It would be unthinkable that within 15 years it would be banned in all public buildings, on trains and in cars with children. How times change. If a member of One Direction were caught smoking these days, there'd be a furore , whereas I saw loads of pictures of Take That and East 17 in the tabloids with a fag on. I think East 17's official pictures had them with cigarettes as they were meant to be more 'hard' than Take That.

I remember the smoking carriage on trains in the 80's!

I feel quite sorry for smokers sometimes, being made into such pariahs and having to huddle outside the front steps of buildings whereas 10 years ago you could sit and have a fag with your pint.
Old 1st March 2014, 10:03
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

That the whole gay culture would become as accepted and as mainstream as it is now.

The other week, Marcus and Todd got it on in Corrie, with their shirts off, at 8.00 in the evening. There is no way that would have been shown even 10 years ago, let alone 20 years ago, and 30 years ago in the culture of Section 28, forget it! It was not so long ago that we hounded poor Alan Turing to death for being gay.

I remember 15 or so years ago, The Sun ran a story in which they outed the lead singer of Ocean Colour Scene. OCS had the image of being a blokey band, with cigarettes and pints etc and I don't think they were expecting the reaction of the fans and the public at large to be a massive : 'SO?'. That was the sea change for me.

That is one way in which we have changed for the better since I was young.
Old 7th March 2014, 11:50

Mood
Alienated

Not sure if this has gone, i think it has made a comeback like CLACKERS as a cheap kids toy.

Old 7th March 2014, 20:49

^ Haha, I had a Slinky. I think they still make them but they're made of crappy plastic instead of metal.

My dad was a primary school caretaker and the school had the metal ones in some of the classrooms.
Old 8th March 2014, 02:57

Mood
Apelike

Default Re: I Did'nt See That Comming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossieman
This is a more personal one for me being from Sheffield, tho anyone who has seen THE FULL MONTY will have seen the hole in the road on the "sheffield, a city on the move" film at the start of the movie

AND THIS IS IT NOW

I defo never thought i'd see the day that that was filled in and gone
I remember the hole in the road. According to Wikipedia, it was filled in in 1994, so I'd have been 10 or 11. I thought it way longer ago than that! (I can clearly remember being 10, but the hole in the road is a very vague memory). For some reason I thought it was much further up than that as well, nearer to west street.
Old 9th March 2014, 12:39
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

Don't know if he's been mentioned before, but the rise of an evil genius named Simon Cowell.
Back in the 80's and 90's, talent shows were seen as the naffest of naff, naffer even than magic shows. Any TV exec pitching that would've been laughed out of the room.
And Simon Cowell was bankrupt and living with his Mum.
I thought this when I was watching My Mad Fat Diary and Rae was ranting on about the Backstreet Boys. We thought that boy bands and Home Taping were killing music. We hadn't reckoned on boy bands, girl bands, boy and girl singers and dancing dogs, all managed by this one Svengali.
How on Earth did that happen?
Old 9th March 2014, 13:50

Mood
Alienated

On the up side at least his rise to superstardom has stopped him doing this

Old 7th May 2014, 19:31

Mood
Balanced

The kids these days have it so easy with their immediate access to online filth. They never had to go through this sort of mortifying experience:

I never did that sort of thing of course. Just too embarrassing

Ok, maybe I did buy the odd copy of FHM. For the interesting and informative articles. And the pictures of ladies in their undies, they were quite good too.
Old 31st May 2014, 19:05

Mood
Sleepy

What a great thread. Made me so happy and nostalgic reading all the posts. These are a couple of things I remember.

Old 31st May 2014, 19:07

Mood
Sleepy

And this
Old 31st May 2014, 20:03
Global Moderator

I suspect you and I must be a similar age Gnus....I loved little professor
Old 31st May 2014, 21:11

Mood
Sleepy

Really? Cool. Here are other things, this time shops that have been and gone. I am loving this thread!

And not really gone but just changed immensely, good old St.Michael.

I used to own one of these

Oh god, I can't stop posting, it's an addiction, sorry about this. The eyeshadow reminds me of the weird bath cubes you used to get. Does anyone remember them? They were horrid and grainy and didn't smell pleasant at all. Here's some random ones

Ok sorry to dominate the thread, I just got carried away.
Old 31st May 2014, 23:17

Mood
Alienated

God yes i remember those bath cubes, every female member of my family would get them for xmas from distant relative that i prob never met. Of course they did not want them so me and my sister ended up having them chucked in the bath when ever we had one.
Old 31st May 2014, 23:24

Mood
Alienated

Old 31st May 2014, 23:29

Mood
Alienated

Talking of long gone shops how about these from the days when families still could not afford to buy a tv, ours was rented until the mid 1970's.

Old 31st May 2014, 23:48

Mood
Sleepy

LOVE this thread. My best friend had this, I was so envious.

Right now though I am downloading cheesy 90s dance songs onto my 160GB Ipod, the storage is INSANE!! I was given the Ipod as a gift and it's only recently I have been interested in understanding it. Things were much simpler back then, I realise that is uttered like a truly ancient person.
Old 31st May 2014, 23:51

Mood
Sleepy

And God yes Mossieman I remember TV rental. I also remember having a wooden screen type door on our TV which got pulled over at night. It was in a kind of box which was designed to disguise the TV as some item of furniture. Hahaaaa!
Old 1st June 2014, 01:28
Global Moderator

I loved this :

Old 2nd June 2014, 01:19

Mood
Balanced

I think you lost the plot of your own thread Mossieman, because I am pretty sure you can still get Gameboys, and you can play Tetris on them

I had one of the big old clunky original gameboys. Ah, such happy memories from my childhood of many wasted hours fitting variously shaped blocks into rows. Sometimes I also played Tetris.

that joke doesnt make much sense, oh well
Old 4th June 2014, 14:10

Mood
Tired

I never thought that getting a passport photo done would become the digital screen talk through it is today. And there used to be no choice of photos at the end, if your eyes were closed, tough! There were 4 different photos at the end which used to blow around in the little cage until they had (almost) dried. If you were lucky one of them might actually be usable...

I think this old Hamlet Cigar ad just about sums it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0SbVFxl64A&feature=kp
Old 5th June 2014, 16:56

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
I think you lost the plot of your own thread Mossieman, because I am pretty sure you can still get Gameboys,
You could be right olly but according to wiki it was Discontinued March 23, 2003
Old 5th June 2014, 17:06

Mood
Sleepy

This popped into my head.
Old 5th June 2014, 17:15

Mood
Sleepy

And then I was watching a film last night, part of which was set in a video rental store. I remember spending the early parts of Saturday night in there deciding what to get out, it was so exciting. There was always a tingle of antcipation as you wondered whether you would be quick enough to get your hands on the popular film of the moment or whether you would get beaten to it, haha, so weird to think about it now.

And then there's phone boxes. I heard a story of a kid asking if phone boxes were there in case you forgot to take your mobile with you I remember the days of arranging to meet someone and then having to wait ages and ages for them as there was no phones to say their train was delayed or whatever....

This says it all now though...
Old 5th June 2014, 19:38
Banned at own request

2000s

I can remember thinking this was amazing and advanced back in 2005

2010s

Old 5th June 2014, 23:24

Mood
Alienated

With the posts relating to record shops, if I'm visiting a town I often try and find a proper record shop. Its a much better experience in my view than just clicking away online.

On the top of my head the only record shops I can think of are those in Herne Bay and Whitstable, and also one in Walthamstow (north-east London). Although I haven't been to Walthamstow for about 2 years so it may have gone now (It looks so out of place!).

Charity shops have loads of CDs and vinyl, although most of it is understandably rubbish.
Old 8th June 2014, 16:16

Mood
Alienated

What i did not see coming was the near end of of british steel and coal mines. In the last years of school our careers advisor basically told us that would be our options and the only two careers trips we had from school were to the sheffield steel works and eckington pit.
So i picked the post office just so i could at the careers advisor .