SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 29th April 2019, 17:55

Smile online communities for the middle aged?

I am almost 50 so definitely count as middle-aged. I'm wondering if there are online communities for discussion or support for people my age. I looked at one called www.over50sforum.com and felt a bit meh about it, there was a lot of moaning about political correctness and the occasional joke literally saying things like "Johnny Foreigner" which I found quite off-putting. What I am really looking for is interesting discussions and in particular support relating to the issues of living alone in midlife.

The best things I have found so far are the site of the Washington Post newspaper, which isn't solely limited to a particular age but has lots of thoughtful articles and comments below, and The Guardian online which again has interesting comments below some articles. I am thinking of buying a Washington Post subscription for a year so that I can participate there as well as see archived articles.

Outside of newspapers, are there online magazines or communities which anyone has found suitable for someone in my age category? Recommendations please!!
Old 30th April 2019, 13:47

Default Re: online communities for the middle aged?

I took advantage of an offer for 4 weeks of Washington Post online for just $1, and it's great! It has a whole section called "Solo-ish" with a great archive on articles about either living alone or seeking community (and ones on dating, which don't really apply to me but might interest some). I asked this same question elsewhere and got an interesting response which is that the people on sites where they are self-selecting by age can be a bit backwards looking and boring, and I should focus on looking at communities based around my interests.
Old 30th April 2019, 20:29

Old 3rd May 2019, 20:57

I don't have any recommendations, because I don't tend to have much in common with other people my age (other than some music, but even then I find that most people who like bands from "back in the day" are stuck in a time warp and haven't heard of anyone who started making music in the last quarter of a century); I think looking for communities based on interests rather than age is a good idea.

Apart from anything else, I don't really want to be reminded just how old I am (although they do like to do that in the SAUK chatroom)!

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
Old 20th May 2019, 20:56

Just bumping this up in case anyone else my age has suggestions. Googling something today relating to difficulties making friends over 50 and the best results were from Mumsnet and Gransnet but I don't think many guys join in there