SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd March 2019, 23:08

Mood
Bashful

Default Antidepressants making you worse not better!

I've been on various antidepressants since age 16, hoping to make me feel better (escitalopram, citalopram, sertraline, paroxetine, fluoxetine) for social anxiety. I've tried them because I thought they are invented to make my condition better so I took them.

I've researched studies a bit and those on antidepressants do worse than those given no antidepressants! Their rates of relapse is higher and their depression worse and longer than people who don't take medication.

Why? I'm not sure, but I surmise two reasons 1) people given antidepressants are conditioned into a way of thought (because they have medication) that there really is something wrong with them so they need !medication because they really are sick , and 2) SSRIs increase serotonin or damage neurons which by compensation decreases other neurochemicals such as dopamine and glutamate.
Old 4th March 2019, 13:49

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Antidepressants making you worse not better!

I have read studies that show that antidepressants only have a small impact on people's depression/anxiety, although this can be helpful to give people a little boost when they're starting therapy or just when they're in an extremely bad place.

Personally I've been on one type of antidepressant for over 5 years now and it's definitely helped, it's not taken away my depression or anxiety but it's certainly made a difference, along with other things. I think that everyone is different, what works for one person might not work for another so all you can do is try and see how things go. Medication isn't right for everyone and that's absolutely fine.
Old 4th March 2019, 17:56

Mood
Nerdy

They also tend to push some loons over the edge into mass murder. Probably when mixed with that other safe drug: cannabis.
Old 4th March 2019, 18:03

Well personally Ive found that they worked very well in dealing with my depression. Less so with the anxiety, mind.

And if used long term they can be very addictive, and have nasty side effects.

It does seem rather to depend on the individual though, they are helpful for some , less so for others
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:57

Iím not a fan. My anxiety and depression have been much worse since I stopped SSRIís.

I think for some with clinical depression they can be of use but are prescribed far too often imo..
Old 26th May 2019, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear
Iím not a fan. My anxiety and depression have been much worse since I stopped SSRIís.
Is that in comparison to how you felt before you started taking them?
Old 26th May 2019, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear

I think for some with clinical depression they can be of use but are prescribed far too often imo..
I think this is so true.
The trouble with prescription medication is that itís very very big business. Thatís why thereís a huge heroin problem in the US, because ordinary people with quite minor injuries were prescribed strong opiate based pain relief, causing so many people to become addicted to opiates.
Pharmaceutical companies peddle their wares and the more they peddle the better for them

Meaning a lot of people who could probably cope without drugs, if their circumstances were addressed instead, would be fine. For me, if I could easily access practical, emotional and financial support due to my ASD, I wouldnít need medication because I wouldnít have to face work and work placed bullying

But drugs are probably cheaper
Old 26th May 2019, 17:05

Argued that since the 1990's and most people tell me I'm wrong. It's well known that when Prozac was being marketed, for example, all of the studies showing minimal benefit and suicidal thoughts etc were covered up. All of this is documented in books such as Toxic Psychiatry.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toxic-Psych.../dp/000637803X

Anti depressants can benefit some, and do, and for those who find such benefits that's brilliant. But there is no evidence that depression is even actually a real illness at all (as opposed to a psychological reaction to social circumstances or problems in living), yet alone that it can be remedied with synthetic Big Pharma toxins. Most people would benefit most profoundly by spiritual or social support - love, meaning, recognition, etc. - not pills.
Old 27th May 2019, 00:28

Quote:
All of this is documented in books such as Toxic Psychiatry.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toxic-Psych.../dp/000637803X
Aye, I've just finished The Inflamed Mind A radical new approach to depression
by Edward Bullmore
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inflamed-Mi.../dp/1780723504

He argues quite clearly that as there is no actual way to measure serotonin in the brain, we don't actually know how or why Prozac et al are offering relief - if you can't measure "low" serotonin pre medication, how can you measure serotonin post medication. The only measure is asking the patient, so how do you feel?

In the book he's more positive about blood tests, specifically levels of
CRP (C-Reactive Protein)
Cytokines

Both are inflammation markers
The argument being - lowering your inflammation increases your resilience to depressive symptoms/episodes/longevity
Old 27th May 2019, 14:02
Global Moderator

Mood
Sluggish

It is interesting to note that several of the popular SSRIs only just fared better than placebo in research studies, I think Sertraline actually was less effective than placebo in several studies.
Back when I was first prescribed antidepressants in 2005 there was the big theory of anxiety and depression being merely a chemical imbalance that could be magically cured by popping a pill every day, there was no talk about psychological treatment instead.
If I had my time again I would have preferred to try psychological therapy before having pills shoved in my hand but I guess we live and learn.
Old 1st June 2019, 21:36

Mood
Bashful

^ I was diagnosed with OCD when I was 16 and put on escitalopra! !u doctor called it the new drug and I took it basically because I thought it would get me high and I was in that mindset of wanting to get high back then. I'm not sure if it helped or not, later around 21 I was diagnosed with SA and put on sertraline (200mg). I was doing my masters atnthe time and was getting worse I dropped out and sertraline seemed to have no effect. I came off it a few years later I was going to study again I said I might quit because of SA I was put on paroxetine then citalopram. I wondered why I'm putting foreign substances into my body that are based on a theory pushed by drug companies that made me sweat, unable to have sex, and unable to dream...then my research began
Old 2nd June 2019, 18:10

I'm not sure I agree. They do work, no matter what anyone says. But my god they are hell to come off of! Also, they only seem to work for the first few months. After that, you just turn into a zombie.
Old 2nd June 2019, 20:33

Mood
Bashful

Tardive dyphoria
Old 2nd June 2019, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy77
I'm not sure I agree. They do work, no matter what anyone says.

Amen.
Old 3rd June 2019, 18:25

Mood
Lurking

The right antidepressant can help for sure.
I have experienced a reduction in my anxiety symptoms taking medications at different times during my life and they have helped enabled me to work on myself in a progressive and positive way.

However I recently started on an antidepressant that previously helped me which doesn't seem to be helping this time and it has spiked my anxiety rather than calm it, so it can be a bit hit and miss until you find one that helps.