SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd May 2019, 18:38

Default Re: RIP Natasha Abrahart

If we are using the cake analogy, I pay you money for the ingredients and you then decide to cut corners and miss out the key ingredients and then give me something that sort of resembles a cake but can hardly be called that and I'm expected to be grateful and not feel cheated? I think not.

Anyway water is a better comparison as you 'need it' its not something you can just take or leave and I wouldn't be deciding to create poor quality sub-standard water to give to the sick, if you cared one iota you would want to find ways to give people the best possible chance of getting well.
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:40
Global Moderator

Mood
Elated

^ Very nicely put.
Old 24th May 2019, 06:41

Very sad but doesn't surprise me. Back when my SA kicked off in 99 I went to my docs they threw antidepressants at me which I was too scared to take for the exact reason as has happened here, I was referred to CBT I'm still waiting 20 years later. Luckily I am 90% better and this stage thanks to self-help books and time, time really is a great healer. But yeah that's the quality of service you get on the NHS
Old 24th May 2019, 07:41

Mood
Balanced

It has to be said the quality varies across the UK. Here in Wiltshire it took one appointment with a pdoc in October 2018 for a referral for an autism assessment to be made. By mid May 2019 I had a diagnosis.

That contrasts with the incompetents in Essex who never took me seriously when I raised the subject. They also had no idea of how badly I was coping . I get much more support here than I ever got in Essex.

Yes a lot of it is due to being near my stepdaughter and having her in my corner. Having said that good mental health care shouldn't be dependant on having family/stepfamily in your corner . For some that is not possible, and as a result they get substandard help and treatment.
Old 24th May 2019, 16:12

^ its good you managed to get some support, but it really shouldn't be a situation where its a postcode lottery with people's health. I also think theres a vast difference between diagnosing but then not following it up with adequate treatment, as often there simply is none available or its a case of one approach fits all.