SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 16th January 2011, 21:15
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: The Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AQ) Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by erase&rewind
I scored 15, I think you could score quite highly with SA and Introverted traits alone.

By the way what is NT.
NT is neurotypical. Basically it's anyone who isn't AS. Unfortunately it's a non-sensical phrase when applied to people with mental illness, who clearly are not neurotypical.
Old 16th January 2011, 22:45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medea
NT is neurotypical. Basically it's anyone who isn't AS. Unfortunately it's a non-sensical phrase when applied to people with mental illness, who clearly are not neurotypical.
Neurotypical just means a person with a standard type of brain ie 'the normal people'. A person with mental illness can still be neurotypical as mental illness is usually a psychological not a neurological thing.

An exception to this is schizophrena though as that is probably neurologically-based (in my opinion).

An autistic person isn't neurotypical because they have a differently-wired brain ie a non-standard model of brain.

I use neurotypical to mean 'not autistic'. It's a way of differentiating the non-autistic people from the autistic.

AS is Asperger's Syndrome, a form of Autism, which is not a mental illness; it's a neurological condition; the brain is differently-wired.

People often seem to lump autism in with the mental ill-health category - it's nothing of the sort. It's not an illness, it's
just a neurological difference. You are born with it.
Old 16th January 2011, 22:57

Mood
Alienated

I scored 36 in that test but I've not been diagnosed as having Aspergers. I think that quite a few of my personality traits are a little autistic. For example, I find it very hard to remember people's faces and names, I am obsessive about a few subjects and have no interest in others, I am bothered by excessive noise, I often find some social behaviours incomprehensible and being around people, any people, is tiring for me after a while and I need to be alone to "recharge" myself.

On the other hand I some Aspie traits DON'T fit me. I think my sense of humour is OK and by and I am quite empathic to others. I wouldn't be surprised if I am mildy autistic and that this problem is tied up with my social anxiety and depression. Where one ends and the other begins I have no idea.
Old 16th January 2011, 23:08
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescing Elephant
I scored 36 in that test but I've not been diagnosed as having Aspergers. I think that quite a few of my personality traits are a little autistic. For example, I find it very hard to remember people's faces and names, I am obsessive about a few subjects and have no interest in others, I am bothered by excessive noise, I often find some social behaviours incomprehensible and being around people, any people, is tiring for me after a while and I need to be alone to "recharge" myself.

On the other hand I some Aspie traits DON'T fit me. I think my sense of humour is OK and by and I am quite empathic to others. I wouldn't be surprised if I am mildy autistic and that this problem is tied up with my social anxiety and depression. Where one ends and the other begins I have no idea.
This thing about people with Aspergers not having a sense of humour is rubbish - some of the diagnostic criteria is very dodgy. I think it means we can sometimes not 'get' a joke immediately or not immediately realise when someone is having us on ie pretending. It's the tendency to believe what anyone says a face value while others will be more likely to work out that they are joking or lying.

Empathy and sympathy aren't the same thing. Empathy is almost or actually feeling what the other person is feeling. I think people with autism/Aspergers
lack the brain function that enables this ie it's not a result of being callous or uncaring - we just lack the brain functionality. Also we are often not very imaginative so it's hard to put ourselves into another person's shoes full stop.

I didn't think I had AS when I first read about it as I didn't feel I had all the traits - that's quite normal. Basically none of it is an exact science; it's a syndrome - this is an umbrella term that covers a number of traits that a person might have to varying degrees.
Old 16th January 2011, 23:20
Banned

Here's a definition of Neurotypical

http://isnt.autistics.org/
Old 16th January 2011, 23:47
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa456
Neurotypical just means a person with a standard type of brain ie 'the normal people'. A person with mental illness can still be neurotypical as mental illness is usually a psychological not a neurological thing.
most people with a mental illness have a chemical imbalance in their brains, which is a physical condition of their brain. Neurology is the study of the brain, spine and central nervous system. Mental illness can be both neurological and psychological.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa
An exception to this is schizophrena though as that is probably neurologically-based (in my opinion).
there are a plethora of mental illnesses that have a neurological as well as psychological base.

Quote:
I use neurotypical to mean 'not autistic'. It's a way of differentiating the non-autistic people from the autistic.
it would be much easier to say someone non-autistic. There are many conditions, such as brain injuries, that cause someone to no longer be neurotypical, it does not, however, suddenly make them autistic.

Quote:
AS is Asperger's Syndrome, a form of Autism, which is not a mental illness; it's a neurological condition; the brain is differently-wired.
my apologies, I used AS as a shorthand when I ought to have said ASD.

Quote:
People often seem to lump autism in with the mental ill-health category - it's nothing of the sort. It's not an illness, it's
just a neurological difference. You are born with it.
Illness is an interesting word. I have several conditions I was born with, some mental and one physical. They are usually refered to as illnesses albeit, perhaps, incorrectly. It seems the definition of what an illness is is broad.
Old 17th January 2011, 00:52

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer.
Hmmm, that's gotta be one of the most ignorant comments I've read in quite a while.

I've been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and do NOT suffer from any of the issues that people with autism (or asperger's) struggle with, but I DO experience anxiety in social situations.

Social anxiety is markedly different from autism. The presence or absence of anxiety is one key factor here. Autism is NOT defined by anxiety - having anxiety is NOT a part of the definition of autism. The diagnostic criteria for autism in DSM-IV is very clear on this:

(I) A total of six (or more) items from (A), (B), and (C), with at least two from (A), and one each from (B) and (C)
  • (A) qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
    • 1. marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
      2. failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
      3. a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people, (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
      4. lack of social or emotional reciprocity ( note: in the description, it gives the following as examples: not actively participating in simple social play or games, preferring solitary activities, or involving others in activities only as tools or "mechanical" aids )
    (B) qualitative impairments in communication as manifested by at least one of the following:
    • 1. delay in, or total lack of, the development of spoken language (not accompanied by an attempt to compensate through alternative modes of communication such as gesture or mime)
      2. in individuals with adequate speech, marked impairment in the ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
      3. stereotyped and repetitive use of language or idiosyncratic language
      4. lack of varied, spontaneous make-believe play or social imitative play appropriate to developmental level
    (C) restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least two of the following:
    • 1. encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
      2. apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
      3. stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
      4. persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
(II) Delays or abnormal functioning in at least one of the following areas, with onset prior to age 3 years:
  • (A) social interaction
    (B) language as used in social communication
    (C) symbolic or imaginative play
(III) The disturbance is not better accounted for by Rett's Disorder or Childhood Disintegrative Disorder

Hurrah - thank you! I read something similar to this after getting a score of 34 and thought 'but I don't recognise this ' I have mild problems with eye to eye contact and obviously prefer solitary activities - but none of the rest of the other characteristics apply at all.
Old 17th January 2011, 02:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer.
Social anxiety is markedly different from autism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phool
I read something similar to this after getting a score of 34 and thought 'but I don't recognise this '
Although Asperger's Syndrome is on the autistic spectrum, it's quite different from classic autism though (or less functioning cases of autism) so this list of symptoms is not the best to represent AS. For example, that list mentions delay or failure to develop spoken language. That is not present in AS.

Anyway, I agree that autistic traits have nothing to do with Social Anxiety so this AQ test doesn't say anything about the level of Social Anxiety of anyone on here.
Old 17th January 2011, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_mittens
Although Asperger's Syndrome is on the autistic spectrum, it's quite different from classic autism though (or less functioning cases of autism) so this list of symptoms is not the best to represent AS. For example, that list mentions delay or failure to develop spoken language. That is not present in AS.
Here's the AS list, to compare:

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.
Old 17th January 2011, 11:20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_mittens

Anyway, I agree that autistic traits have nothing to do with Social Anxiety so this AQ test doesn't say anything about the level of Social Anxiety of anyone on here.
It was never meant to!

I put the test on here so people could consider whether their SA might be linked to a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome.

And that diagnostic information given previously is for Autism; the diagnosis for Asperger Syndrome is different.
(I see someone has already posted it above).

"DSM-IV DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR ASPERGER'S DISORDER

A.Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

B.Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(1) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(4) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

C.The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D.There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

E.There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

F.Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GILLBERG'S CRITERIA FOR ASPERGER'S DISORDER

1.Severe impairment in reciprocal social interaction
(at least two of the following)
(a) inability to interact with peers
(b) lack of desire to interact with peers
(c) lack of appreciation of social cues
(d) socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior

2.All-absorbing narrow interest
(at least one of the following)
(a) exclusion of other activities
(b) repetitive adherence
(c) more rote than meaning

3.Imposition of routines and interests
(a) on self, in aspects of life
(b) on others

4.Speech and language problems
(at least three of the following)
(a) delayed development
(b) superficially perfect expressive language
(c) formal, pedantic language
(d) odd prosody, peculiar voice characteristics
(e) impairment of comprehension including misinterpretations of literal/implied meanings

5.Non-verbal communication problems
(a) limited use of gestures
(b) clumsy/gauche body language
(c) limited facial expression
(d) inappropriate expression
(e) peculiar, stiff gaze

6.Motor clumsiness: poor performance on neurodevelopmental examination

(All six criteria must be met for confirmation of diagnosis.)"

http://www.aspergers.com/aspcrit.htm
Old 17th January 2011, 11:27
Banned

Quote:
Hurrah - thank you! I read something similar to this after getting a score of 34 and thought 'but I don't recognise this ' I have mild problems with eye to eye contact and obviously prefer solitary activities - but none of the rest of the other characteristics apply at all.
No one is trying to force a diagnosis of anything on anyone!
People with Asperger's Syndrome usually recognise themselves in the diagnosis criteria ie they don't fight the idea they actively seek answers.

Fighting the idea of being autistic would put a person in the neurotypical camp almost by defualt I'd say as it indicates a strong desire to conform to normality and not be one of the '*******'.

Asperger people are usually far more open-minded as regards the possibility ie they see it as interesting from a self-knowledge perspective not some terrible possibility that might ruin their social standing amongst the other NTs.

So please, spare us your agonising - I really don't think you're in the AS camp.

You sign yourself up to the Gifted camp if that suits you better.
Old 17th January 2011, 12:04

Are people with Autism or Aspergers (obviously depending on level of) likely to be suffering from SA though? Or has it just got some similarities because of how it affects social interaction? (This is meant as a genuine question by the way - no sniping intended).
Old 17th January 2011, 12:26

Mood
Mellow

[QUOTE=nessa456;1178843]No one is trying to force a diagnosis of anything on anyone!
People with Asperger's Syndrome usually recognise themselves in the diagnosis criteria ie they don't fight the idea they actively seek answers.

Fighting the idea of being autistic would put a person in the neurotypical camp almost by defualt I'd say as it indicates a strong desire to conform to normality and not be one of the '*******'.

Asperger people are usually far more open-minded as regards the possibility ie they see it as interesting from a self-knowledge perspective not some terrible possibility that might ruin their social standing amongst the other NTs.

So please, spare us your agonising - I really don't think you're in the AS camp. You sign yourself up to the Gifted camp if that suits you better.[/QUOTE]

That's really rude - I did the test because I am genuinely interested in various mental health issues. A qualified psychologist of 30 years standing put me into the 'gifted' camp after seeing me every week for two years - the diagnosis came about a year in. You have no right to judge whether you think I am AS or NT (or not) as you do not possess such qualifications.

As I said in an earlier post online tests and armchair pscychology are more harmful than helpful, in my opinion, as they can make you think you have all sorts of things wrong with you when you don't. My advice to anyone taking these tests is to be aware of the outcomes as a point for discussion with your GP/counsellor/psychiatrist and get some professional advice.
Old 17th January 2011, 12:50

I agree- it's a bit drastic to say if you notice reg plates, and like spending time on yourself...you must be autistic kind of thing.
Old 17th January 2011, 12:54

Phool:
Quote:
That's really rude
Isn't rudeness an unintended problem for people with autism of various sorts? Something to do with their empathy problems? I assume it's rather like deaf people yelling at each other. They don't realise that they are giving everyone in earshot a headache.

I scored 17 on the test which means I'm completely normal...or neurotypical. I'm an NT! I'm one of them! Beware you Aspie's, we're coming to get you. Mwahahahaha.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:19
Banned

[QUOTE=Phool;1178892]
Quote:
No one is trying to force a diagnosis of anything on anyone!

So please, spare us your agonising - I really don't think you're in the AS camp. You sign yourself up to the Gifted camp if that suits you better.[/QUOTE]

That's really rude - I did the test because I am genuinely interested in various mental health issues. A qualified psychologist of 30 years standing put me into the 'gifted' camp after seeing me every week for two years - the diagnosis came about a year in. You have no right to judge whether you think I am AS or NT (or not) as you do not possess such qualifications.

As I said in an earlier post online tests and armchair pscychology are more harmful than helpful, in my opinion, as they can make you think you have all sorts of things wrong with you when you don't. My advice to anyone taking these tests is to be aware of the outcomes as a point for discussion with your GP/counsellor/psychiatrist and get some professional advice.
Yes and if you read my posts the test itself states that it isn't diagnostic.
It's hardly armchair psychology either - Simon Baron-Cohen, who devised the AQ test, is at the forefront of Autism research in this country ie he's 'very respected' too.

I am having a great deal of trouble trying to work out what you do want - it seems so far that it's to be seen as gifted but not on the autistic spectrum.

I said fair enough didn't I?

I don't see what your problem is.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicium
Phool:

Isn't rudeness an unintended problem for people with autism of various sorts? Something to do with their empathy problems? I assume it's rather like deaf people yelling at each other. They don't realise that they are giving everyone in earshot a headache.

I scored 17 on the test which means I'm completely normal...or neurotypical. I'm an NT! I'm one of them! Beware you Aspie's, we're coming to get you. Mwahahahaha.
I'd say it's more frustration with this attitude towards autism as if it's the plague that people are desperate not to have.

I knew when I posted that test that there would be all these people getting high scores on it but desperately trying to prove that in no way on God's earth were they autistic.

They may well be so - read the test information!

For all the people wanting to prove they aren't autistic, a lot are proving themselves incapable of the basic task of reading and understanding the information provided.

And as for coming to get us - payback time is coming just you wait!
Old 17th January 2011, 13:27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoS
I agree- it's a bit drastic to say if you notice reg plates, and like spending time on yourself...you must be autistic kind of thing.
The test isn't diagnostic.

"The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives."
Old 17th January 2011, 13:28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by W!llow
Are people with Autism or Aspergers (obviously depending on level of) likely to be suffering from SA though? Or has it just got some similarities because of how it affects social interaction? (This is meant as a genuine question by the way - no sniping intended).
Social Anxiety is common amongst people with Asperger's Syndrome. Possibly less so for those with classic Autism.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:38

Mood
Bashful

I scored 33
Old 17th January 2011, 13:39
Banned

[QUOTE=Phool;1178892]
Quote:
I did the test because I am genuinely interested in various mental health issues.
Autism is not a mental health issue. It's a neurological disorder; some would say a neurological difference.

For a gifted person you are surprisingly uninformed.

Look I'm sorry, this is all bringing out an antagonistic streak in me and I know that's not healthy.

I am just very defensive of the Asperger Syndrome diagnosis having been categorised with it myself.

I frequently see people posting on here who almost certainly have AS but stigma means they're never likely
to get a diagnosis or accept that they are autistic so they will keep going round in circles, never being fully
understood by many of their non-autistic peers on here.

It's all about finding a level of self-understanding, not about being stigmatised, but that is what people invariably
make it about.
Old 17th January 2011, 13:56

Mood
Bashful

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveANiceDay
There are only about 12 questions out of the 50 which would fit a stereotypical SA person; the rest have nothing obvious to do with SA, for example "I like to collect information about categories of things (e.g., types of cars, birds, trains, plants)."
I have a fasination with numbers/statistics and i sometimes try to make names out of number plates when i'm in my car
Old 17th January 2011, 13:59

Mood
Mellow

[QUOTE=nessa456;1178974]
Quote:
Look I'm sorry, this is all bringing out an antagonistic streak in me and I know that's not healthy. I am just very defensive of the Asperger Syndrome diagnosis having been categorised with it myself.
That's OK - I get defensive when people at work 'pooh pooh' stress and/or depression implying people who are off sick with these things are making it up. I really am trying my best to understand me a bit better, that's all.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:00

Mood
Bashful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescing Elephant

Me too
Old 17th January 2011, 14:06

Mood
Spaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by W!llow
I think the correlation often comes from the fact that people with ASDs will find school particularily hard and are bullied more than the average, and I don't think anyone will contest that bullying can trigger social anxiety.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastra
I think the correlation often comes from the fact that people with ASDs will find school particularily hard and are bullied more than the average, and I don't think anyone will contest that bullying can trigger social anxiety.
Yes that's a very good way of explaining it. Ironically though I've been actively bullied far more as an adult than as a child. I was just left out of things and generally overlooked at school.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie
Me too
The term for not being able to recognise faces is Prosopagnosia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia
Old 17th January 2011, 15:00
Banned

[QUOTE=Phool;1178982]
Quote:

That's OK - I get defensive when people at work 'pooh pooh' stress and/or depression implying people who are off sick with these things are making it up. I really am trying my best to understand me a bit better, that's all.
I know. I am dealing with several issues currently that are making me angry and this is affecting how I post. Apologies.
Old 17th January 2011, 15:05

Thanks Nessa, Kastra.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:49

Mood
Bashful

Quote:
The term for not being able to recognise faces is Prosopagnosia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia
Ok, you started it though