SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th September 2022, 17:12

Mood
Balanced

Default Accessing support from university/college for SA

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had the experience of trying to access extra support while doing some studying either at a university or college.

The wellbeing team at my university have persuaded me to apply for Disability Students Allowance (DSA). I previously did four years of study without asking for DSA because I felt I was an imposter and because I thought I didn't have a visible condition or disability that made me eligible for it.

Thanks to the wellbeing team for giving me the confidence to start believing that I am eligible for DSA.

I'm just going through the process now and the next thing I need to do is get medical evidence which will mean approaching the doctors.

I feel stressed/nervous about this as I haven't had a single appointment with my GP about my social anxiety for what must be 13 years. They might be surprised to think why I am suddenly contacting them to ask for evidence about this after 13 years. It puts me off wanting to do it or at least makes me want to find other methods of making an approach such as sending an e-mail.

It's just crazy times for me as a whole at the moment as I'm doing this in a period where I'm also waiting to be assessed for autism so I'm having to confront what I already know and also what may become my reality in the future.

Any who I'll stop there for now.
Old 7th September 2022, 19:40

Default Re: Accessing support from university/college for SA

Hello

I was terrified of talking to the GP once so I wrote them a handwritten letter! He rang me and invited me to come in.

I was going to change doctors to the uni doctor (at the time) so he printed out some of my records that I could give to the GP surgery at uni whilst waiting for the records to be sent over - in case I needed a prescription.

Maybe sending the surgery an email will help. You could ask how you go about requesting the information. I think you can request your medical records, but going to the GP will be much quicker. That's one way to look at it; a moment of anxiety and worries will speed up the help you can get.

Another way is to write a little script of what you want to say to the receptionist over the phone.

Hope you get the info you need
Old 7th September 2022, 21:31

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Hello

I was terrified of talking to the GP once so I wrote them a handwritten letter! He rang me and invited me to come in.

I was going to change doctors to the uni doctor (at the time) so he printed out some of my records that I could give to the GP surgery at uni whilst waiting for the records to be sent over - in case I needed a prescription.

Maybe sending the surgery an email will help. You could ask how you go about requesting the information. I think you can request your medical records, but going to the GP will be much quicker. That's one way to look at it; a moment of anxiety and worries will speed up the help you can get.

Another way is to write a little script of what you want to say to the receptionist over the phone.

Hope you get the info you need
Hello Biscuits....our paths cross again

The letter idea is not one I have thought of before that is an inspiring idea.

My local surgery does have an e-mail address that they advertise on their website. My dad has also suggested that I contact them that way. I think I'll ask for dad's help in writing the e-mail and knowing what to say.

DSA are looking for me to send them a written statement from a doctor which confirms long term effects your disability or health condition has on your ability to carry out day-to-day activities including education.

This will be what I need to request from them.

I've began to adopt the script idea recently to help with telephone conversations. I've done well with it so far. I will continue with that idea moving forward.

I will always look for a method of communication that isn't picking up the phone. The phone is always the last resort after all other avenues have been exhausted.

Thanks, I'll have to update the thread when I've made progress.
Old 24th September 2022, 02:57

Well done for reaching out to the wellbeing team and getting started with the DSA process!

How are things going with it? If you've not already met with your GP, Student Finance has a form that you can ask your GP to complete that prompts them for the info they need: https://assets.publishing.service.go...orm_2223_o.pdf. It might help with making sure you get something that DSA will be happy with.

What support are you hoping you'll be offered through DSA?

I also don't like talking on the phone, especially to busy receptionists! I find it helps to focus on getting what I need and try to put the social aspect (i.e. they'll think I don't know how this process works, they think my problem isn't worth their time, they might sense I'm feeling anxious etc.) out of the picture. You're not calling up to make a new friend after all.

Don't worry about going back to the GP about this after a long time. Possibly they'll want to go through one of the anxiety questionaires again, but there are all kinds of reasons why you might not have gone back to them. It's not at all uncommon for students to need to go back to their GP after some time just to get some documentation for DSA.
Old 24th September 2022, 17:48

Mood
Balanced

^ Thank you

There has been some updates since I first posted about this.

My first approach to the doctors was on the 13th September. I sent an e-mail to the doctor and the receptionist sent it onto the admin team so they eventually put it in the doctors to do pile.

This week I decided to send off the DSA form as my wellbeing advisor at the university suggested that it might make me feel better if I send the form off while I'm waiting to obtain evidence. Therefore, I posted the form in the post box on Tuesday.

On Thursday, I summoned the courage to ring the doctors to ask for an update on my e-mail and to cut a long story short, my phone call helped to speed the process up and the doctor wrote me a letter that afternoon and signed it. I collected it yesterday and sent it off to Student Finance Wales.

I did prepare a script before my phone call which proved to be a good strategy. It's just mad how I felt my whole body shaking while I was on the phone. I was almost teary coming off the phone just feeling sad at how things have turned out.

Nevertheless, I hope I have done everything I can now and next week they will process my application and tell me to book an assessment with a need's advisor.
Old 24th September 2022, 17:51

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotionalPumpkin
Well done for reaching out to the wellbeing team and getting started with the DSA process!

How are things going with it? If you've not already met with your GP, Student Finance has a form that you can ask your GP to complete that prompts them for the info they need: https://assets.publishing.service.go...orm_2223_o.pdf. It might help with making sure you get something that DSA will be happy with.

What support are you hoping you'll be offered through DSA?

I also don't like talking on the phone, especially to busy receptionists! I find it helps to focus on getting what I need and try to put the social aspect (i.e. they'll think I don't know how this process works, they think my problem isn't worth their time, they might sense I'm feeling anxious etc.) out of the picture. You're not calling up to make a new friend after all.

Don't worry about going back to the GP about this after a long time. Possibly they'll want to go through one of the anxiety questionaires again, but there are all kinds of reasons why you might not have gone back to them. It's not at all uncommon for students to need to go back to their GP after some time just to get some documentation for DSA.
In terms of what I'm hoping for....honestly I'm not sure I have never done this sort of thing before. I always felt an imposter...that because I don't have an obvious condition/disability then I don't qualify for it. The university have persuaded me this time to give it a go.

I guess my needs assessment will open my eyes to what support I can potentially access.
Old 24th September 2022, 23:05

Well done for calling in, that's really awesome! It can take a long time sometimes to get this sort of thing from GPs so it sounds like you've done great. Sounds like a total victory to me.

They often offer regular sessions with a mentor which I think can be really good, also possibly a laptop and some software that can help with studying. I'm assuming though that SF Wales offers the same kind of support as SF England.

I think this support should be made available to everyone given how expensive university fees are! In any case take all you can get
Old 5th October 2022, 23:56

Mood
Balanced

Update: Earlier today I was approved for Disabled Student Allowance.

I felt very emotional because for the first time in my life outside of my family, friends and doctor...It was the first time that any sort of public body or organisation has recognised that I live with a condition that is classed a disability.
Old 6th October 2022, 10:18

Mood
Cynical

Brilliant news