SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd September 2018, 02:05

Default Opinions on drugs for specific SA symptom

Hi all, I'm wondering if some of you on this forum would have any advice for a drug that works well for a specific symptom of SA. Don't hold back, this thread shouldn't constitute medical advice and everyone who's reading it should consult their doctors but I'm interested in some real life experience from people who have lived it.

The symptom I'm struggling with is a chronic self consciousness I often have in public that impairs my ability to function, such as speaking. My mind clouds over and I physically have reduced ability to use my voice and sometimes going so far as to struggle to use my voice at all.

The best way to describe this is probably when I'm in shops/restaurants/pubs, etc. I am normally fine, probably even masquerading as a confident/friendly person when I come face to face with one person. So when places are quiet I can "be myself". And have quite a pleasant experience.

The problem I'm continually having is walking into places and interacting with others when there are other people witnessing it. Perhaps when someone is at the bar next to me, or people in the queue behind me at a checkout. Or people at the next table to me in earshot when eating out.

This is when I become incredibly self conscious, when I have to actively fight against feelings and thoughts (with varying degrees of success). But very often, I withdraw, tremble, stutter and it results in a bad experience that chips away at my self esteem and I walk away feeling small and telling myself this is why I spend my life avoiding these situations.

Because of this, I often prefer very quiet places where it's just me and someone else. Or the opposite, a very loud and busy place (if music is playing all the better) where I can interact and be myself because it's loud enough for people around me not to really hear and witness the interaction.

So I suppose I'm asking, is there a drug that helps with self-consciousness? Although, I realise therapy would probably be better because this self-consciousness probably stems from having a deep rooted anxiety about how I sound and pronounce words. But it would be really interesting if anyone suffers this to such an extent as me and if they have had any success with a drug for this.
Old 2nd September 2018, 15:52

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Opinions on drugs for specific SA symptom

I don't think there's any specific drug that would solve this problem completely, although other posters might know of something that's helped them.

Anti-depressants can help to take the edge off and lessen the over thinking that you're talking about, ofcourse it sometimes takes people trying a few different ones before they find one that helps.

Beta-blockers can help with physical symptoms like shaking and sweating, which can help people feel less self conscious if they feel like those symptoms are letting other people know that they're anxious.

There's a book you might want to have a look at called 'The Happiness Trap' by Russ Harris which talks about a different approach rather than constantly fighting against your own thoughts and feelings.
Old 2nd September 2018, 16:37

Thank you Dougella, I'll take a look at your book recommendation :-)
Old 2nd September 2018, 16:41

Thanks @HermannHesse. Straight to the class A's lol. Thinking about it alcohol also gets me the results I need so I could become reliant on that if all else fails but I don't abuse it and don't have an addictive personality luckily.
Old 2nd September 2018, 18:53
Global Moderator

Mood
Sluggish

If you find alcohol helpful then Pregabalin could be worth a try, it works in a similar way to alcohol in the brain to help you feel less inhibited and has been used to good effect in anxiety patients.
It is something worth discussing with your GP anyway.
Old 3rd September 2018, 02:04

I have that too, with my voice. I do feel very self conscious in situation where other people are in earshot distance, and that's one reason I find it so hard to relax at the school gate when picking up my son.

My voice plays up mostly when I have to talk to someone (GP receptionist, teacher, bus driver) and I am scared of not being understood. Scared that I am not saying the words right (I'm foreign), or that the way I explain things is just so muddled, that the person won't understand me and make me repeat.

On my worse days, my voice will go high pitch and "jump" or my throat will feel so tight that I'll just start gagging and coughing.
Old 3rd September 2018, 17:23

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by a piece of poo
The problem I'm continually having is walking into places and interacting with others when there are other people witnessing it. Perhaps when someone is at the bar next to me, or people in the queue behind me at a checkout. Or people at the next table to me in earshot when eating out.

This is when I become incredibly self conscious, when I have to actively fight against feelings and thoughts (with varying degrees of success). But very often, I withdraw
not sure a drug can treat such a specific aspect of something like self-consciousness,
a drug would be taking away your own ability to overcome this though and getting you reliant / hooked on that drug, rather than looking at it from a different angle, and working through it, and thus empowering yourself in the process,

only thing I can think of is that your sense of separateness, your sense of being distinct / different from other people is severe, and is causing some form of neurosis around it.

so,.. perhaps seeing how similar you are to everybody else in society is something that's going to rescue you from this plight.?
everyone basically wants the same things in life, everyone goes through the exact same feelings and experiences as everyone else,
look for all those similarities, all those thousands of things we all share and we all have in common with each other,
this knowledge could possibly allow you to accept yourself and relax in other people's company?
there's nothing different about you, and no need to feel different.
so, it may seem that people are 'witnessing' you, but they're simply tuning into what yet another human being just like them has to say,. it's all without threat or malice.

if you think about it,. no one can really be that different anyway,
Old 4th September 2018, 00:01

I've been reading up on Pregabalin and this sounds like a possible drug that could help, thanks D1662.

@speakfriend it's good to know someone has a similar experience to me. If English is not your first language I can understand how this could be part of the cause of your anxieties of speaking in public. Equally, I could see it as helping and resulting in the exact opposite. Being bilingual or English not being your first language puts you in a unique position. Speaking multiple languages is not common in this country and you have an advantage over many people. As it's a second language people don't expect the words you speak to be perfect but respect and envy your ability to speak multiple languages, even if satisfactorily.

Also this reminded me of a situation where I'm slightly less anxious and more confident. When speaking to people who's first language isn't English. I think I have a deep inferiority of speaking and therefore English being my first language this inferiority comes out most when speaking to people who's first language is English. My (hopefully only perceived) inadequacy is highlighted and so I become anxious.

Thanks Vasco Da Gama, this way of thinking does give me some light relief and perhaps would be part of a therapy that would hopefully "retrain my brain". Although, thinking like this consciously during every day activities is hard and although does help a little doesn't seem to last long unfortunately. But it's certainly and good coping mechanism that I can hopefully remind myself of and think through when anxiety gets the better of me.
Old 17th October 2018, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lump of Excrement
Hi all, I'm wondering if some of you on this forum would have any advice for a drug that works well for a specific symptom of SA. Don't hold back, this thread shouldn't constitute medical advice and everyone who's reading it should consult their doctors but I'm interested in some real life experience from people who have lived it.

The symptom I'm struggling with is a chronic self consciousness I often have in public that impairs my ability to function, such as speaking. My mind clouds over and I physically have reduced ability to use my voice and sometimes going so far as to struggle to use my voice at all.

The best way to describe this is probably when I'm in shops/restaurants/pubs, etc. I am normally fine, probably even masquerading as a confident/friendly person when I come face to face with one person. So when places are quiet I can "be myself". And have quite a pleasant experience.

This is when I become incredibly self conscious, when I have to actively fight against feelings and thoughts (with varying degrees of success). But very often, I withdraw, tremble, stutter and it results in a bad experience that chips away at my self esteem and I walk away feeling small and telling myself this is why I spend my life avoiding these situations.

Because of this, I often prefer very quiet places where it's just me and someone else. Or the opposite, a very loud and busy place (if music is playing all the better) where I can interact and be myself because it's loud enough for people around me not to really hear and witness the interaction.

So I suppose I'm asking, is there a drug that helps with self-consciousness? Although, I realise therapy would probably be better because this self-consciousness probably stems from having a deep rooted anxiety about how I sound and pronounce words. But it would be really interesting if anyone suffers this to such an extent as me and if they have had any success with a drug for this.
Hi Lump,

Beta-blockers might be something of interest to you. Propanolol is the most common for anxiety I think. It won't change your thinking pattern but it will help your physical symptoms e.g shaking, rapid heart beat etc. This can be just as problematic as the neg thoughts, and being able to control the physical side can be a huge help.

I took them recently for an interview and thought my performance was really good (got rejected but that's not what matters!). Didn't tremble, was calm all throughout. It was a strange experience. Just being able to keep physically calm throughout actually allowed me to put my responses across properly, as opposed to the panicky mess I usualky am.
Old 21st October 2018, 11:37

Mood
Bashful

I don’t take drugs no more, but for social situations propranolol was most useful.