SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th October 2018, 04:03

Default Do you have experience of Samaritan or CALM?

I contacted the Samaritans and CALM this week (not over the phone, just emails/online chat).

I'm wondering if anyone has found these useful. I went into a little detail about my problems and my life going back a decade. I must say CALM were pretty useless and simply bombarded me with links to websites.

Samaritans appear to be much better at being a rock of support and being there, listening and asking subtle, suggestive questions. I don't think they'll offer any specific support or advice though.

So this leads me to here, how have you found support services like these? I'm also wondering if anyone has any experience of using the self-referral Psychological therapies (IAPT) services provided by the NHS? I'm trying to pluck up the courage for some sort of therapy/CBT help.
Old 17th October 2018, 11:28

Default Re: Do you have experience of Samaritan or CALM?

Many years ago when I was going through a work crisis due to hassle from my colleagues, I phoned the Samaritans. The woman basically told me quite openly to grow a thicker skin. Not helpful...
Old 17th October 2018, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lump of Excrement
I contacted the Samaritans and CALM this week (not over the phone, just emails/online chat).

I'm wondering if anyone has found these useful. I went into a little detail about my problems and my life going back a decade. I must say CALM were pretty useless and simply bombarded me with links to websites.

Samaritans appear to be much better at being a rock of support and being there, listening and asking subtle, suggestive questions. I don't think they'll offer any specific support or advice though.

So this leads me to here, how have you found support services like these? I'm also wondering if anyone has any experience of using the self-referral Psychological therapies (IAPT) services provided by the NHS? I'm trying to pluck up the courage for some sort of therapy/CBT help.
I STRONGLY urge you to pluck up the courage and fill out a self-referral for therapy. There is absolutely no support that can compare to having someone listen to you week on week and help you over a long period of time. Samaritans/CALM/even the GP will only provide a snapshot of support and will never be able to get to the bottom of your problems.

For years and years I debated about getting help as well but I am very glad I did in the end. I am now actually on the waiting list for a second course of therapy (I first did it about 1.5 years ago). I've found that once you talk to someone the first time about your problems, it gets much easier to do e.g to line managers, doctors etc.
Old 17th October 2018, 20:42

^ Thanks, is this self-referral through IAPT? I keep reading about it but I'm not sure how to go about starting something trough that initiative. Do I phone for an appointment (there seems to be an IAPT clinic in most areas) or is this done via my GP?
Old 17th October 2018, 21:02

Quote:
^ Thanks, is this self-referral through IAPT? I keep reading about it but I'm not sure how to go about starting something trough that initiative. Do I phone for an appointment (there seems to be an IAPT clinic in most areas) or is this done via my GP?
You can always go via your GP.

I am not sure how common or uncommon a self-referral system is. In my area there is a website where you can self-refer yourself online or alternatively you can call them up. I never actually knew about the website option until after I went to my GP who referred me. Check the IAPT website of your local council to see what the mechanisms are.
Old 17th October 2018, 21:21

Quote:
^ You can self-refer through this click here

You click on the green find help button and go through the steps there
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:14

I've used the Samaritans line several times over the years, and it has always been a helpful experience (bar one) for me in the moments that I really needed it.
Sometimes I've been in tears and feeling despair, and just having someone to listen naturally calmed me down and gave me space to think.

I think it's very good that you are seeking therapy though, I'm sure you will get much more help from that. Good luck with it x
Old 23rd October 2018, 20:37

Mood
Sad

I've used the Samaritans email service in the past and have found them supportive and helpful.