SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st March 2022, 22:33

Default Re: Random Questions (3)

But thank you (from me but not from anyone around me) for putting this song in my head:

Old 4th March 2022, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ aw thank you, Percy. How sweet!

^^^ achieving balance is a challenge. Our priorities change as we go through life, we have to learn how to manage and divide up our time in a way that is healthy. It’s difficult to speak about in general terms because it’s different for different people and different people have different responsibilities.

Working towards achieving a goal is something that we can do without sacrificing the things that we value. It means learning how to manage our time and recognising that we might need to put some things temporarily on hold. It’s adapting how you go about things so you have time for the things you love. It’s also about changing your way of thinking so that it doesn’t feel like a sacrifice. It feels worthwhile.

Not sure I’ve explained that very well haha sorry
Yeah I can understand what you mean by balance.
Old 4th March 2022, 09:12

Mood
Tired

Why do human beings not have an entry requirement for becoming a politician?

I'm thinking of a strict but fair form of psychological evaluation,

If you want to become a teacher, for example, you have several years in college and disclosure vetting, before you can work just teaching people,

If you want to become a doctor, to treat people physically, then it's about 6 years in college,

If you want to be a joiner, (which is really just handling materials like wood plastic and metal etc) then it's about 2 years in college alternating with paid employment as part of the coursework.

If you want to be a pilot, there are now more rigorous checks on psychological evaluation and teamwork, problem solving etc. not to mention the rigorous entry criteria and flight training,

But, here we come to the uniquely peculiar point of political office,

Money, popularity, slogans, ability to NOT answer a straight question, bluster, arrogance, a sense of entitlement,.
(these would appear to be the requisite qualities)

No psychological evaluation, no training, no years and years at college, no evaluation of key fundamental human qualitites or principles, or values.

I'm sure that at least after this latest horror show playing out in Russia that humanity must radically re-think this subject and put stringent controls in place.

I mean, how many of these grasping, power-hungry, inadequate, psychologically defective, tyrants does humanity need to suffer before it gets the message?
Old 4th March 2022, 09:57

Mood
Cynical

^ Unfortunately the people who most often seek power are the people who shouldn't have it.
Old 14th March 2022, 16:18

Do certain people necessarily have tougher lives?

I agree certain people do but then I also question if this balances out. Because when you have a lot of things it seems more likely that the struggle can start to become more of a mental struggle or your perspective changes that things that seem small to others can become actual issues. Just look at modern society for this. Issues such as BDD are setups and can come out of tough lives where one is picked in for there appearance but it can also come if someone is always complimented for how they look but feel they don’t look like enough due to how accessible so much stuff is nowadays.

There is a generalisation than men today don’t know how to be men due to sheltered childhood, single parent households. Idk how true this is? But a man who is told that he doesn’t know how to be a man would face that struggle despite being told he has lived a cushy life.

Someone with a genuinely tough life faces struggles and less control than the former people but then it’s also easier for them to voice their struggle as it’s more easily noticeable. Maybe this can cause further struggle cause they know others had it better than them but they also have their struggle legitimised I’m thinking. There won’t be people telling them how good they have it unless they hide their struggles really well.

Some people think I’m innocent. A temp the other day at work said how I was innocent and I shouldn’t let people take advantage of me. She also said I was socially awkward. Idk if I’m innocent, maybe I am in certain ways, but that doesn’t mean my life hasn’t been a struggle or that I haven’t experienced anything bad such as my mums mental illness and family members distancing theirselves from us.
Old 31st March 2022, 12:37

Which is best walking track app?

Someone told me of an app called Stravo, which i downloaded and used yesterday. I was quite impressed with it until i got back online/laptop and realised it's essentially for running and/or cycling. I can't seem to search for anyone's walking activities even though you can classify a recorded activity as a 'walk'. I then looked up a site called Alltrails, which looks ideal for the walker but, from what i can tell, has no track app... or perhaps is a membership only thing.

Anyways, what are you using?
Old 31st March 2022, 18:16

oh my goshness , I misread walking for something else beginning with w

Do you mean a music playlist, or a guided mindfulness walk… “take time to listen to the twinkling of the leaves in the tress. Whoops, mind the trail of dog shit,” sort of thing?
Old 31st March 2022, 18:28

Haha, no, not that!

No, i'm after a walking/hiking tracking app to record and/or follow walks. The Strava one i used again earlier and recorded and uploaded another walk. It's okay to use in that sense, to keep an account of your own activities but i'd like one where i can see other walking trails, which is what Alltrails is - the only thing with that one, i think, is that it's a membership jobbie.
Old 31st March 2022, 19:08

Is there are free version of Alltrails? Sounds good I’m going on holiday next week, so this could be brilliant. Thanks for bringing to my attention.
Old 31st March 2022, 20:28

What is included in an AllTrails free membership?

That should provide you with enough info to decide whether it'll aid you or not. There is a free weeks trial for 'pro' but the free membership may suffice (i haven't looked into it).

I'm not sure how good this is outside of the UK. Are you heading abroad?
Old 31st March 2022, 21:35

Cheers!

I’m heading to Somerset. I don’t even know where Somerset is I do know that it’s in the UK though

Just hoping to find some Jurassic places and going on some nice adventures.
Old 31st March 2022, 22:19

Dude, the Jurassic Coast is in Devon - i've just checked. Somerset only has Bristol Channel coastline.

Unless there's other Jurassic .. places O_o

Either way, the Alltrails site has you covered for walks. I think all the walks are verified before they're put on the map, which is assuring.
Old 9th April 2022, 08:38

DIY question

My bedroom wall is lined with lining paper, but I wanted to repaint it to freshen it up as it's dirty in places, the paint will be the exact colour, does any have any suggestions of how to start?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Old 9th April 2022, 09:59

Mood
Tired

Clean the wall first, but nothing too wet as it may affect the paper,
Allow it to dry out,

You only really need a small brush and a roller and roller tray,
Preferably a 9" roller sleeve, medium pile

You can use masking tape around the skirting and sockets and switches, and coving,
Use the small brush for painting the small detailed areas around sockets and switches and around the perimeter,

Then use the roller and tray for the main wall areas,
It's always a good idea to use newspapers or some old covering/ dust sheet on the floor to catch any drips,

Your wall will probably need at least 2 coats.

Don't be too forceful with the roller, just light steady movement to minimize any spray.
Old 9th April 2022, 10:55

^ Thank you for your help what would I need to clean it with?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Old 9th April 2022, 11:28

Mood
Tired

No worries
Just use a damp sponge, like one you'd maybe clean your car with?
and a bucket or plastic basin of water with a very small amount of detergent just to clean
Make sure you squeeze it out a good bit so all the water doesn't run down the walls,
.if the wall isn't really clean then any dirt left will change the colour of the paint and create streaks.
Old 9th April 2022, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
Dude, the Jurassic Coast is in Devon - i've just checked. Somerset only has Bristol Channel coastline.

Unless there's other Jurassic .. places O_o

Either way, the Alltrails site has you covered for walks. I think all the walks are verified before they're put on the map, which is assuring.
Thank you, spud. Sorry my geography is not great! I stayed in a place in Somerset that was about 25/30 min drive from the Jurassic Coast :D so could drive down there to get my fossil on. I had the best time
Old 9th April 2022, 16:49

No, it surprised me too, i wasn't sure. I really did think Somerset has Southern coastline - now i know!
Old 9th April 2022, 18:43
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

^^ Glad to hear you had fun, biss. I wish I had been there with you, I love me some fossil hunting!
Old 9th April 2022, 21:00

^ & ^^

aww I would have loved for you to have been there too :D

it's one of the most calming things. I've returned home feeling refreshed and chilled. (I'm sure I'll find something to anxiety over by 2pm tomorrow )
Old 9th April 2022, 22:39

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs
^^ Glad to hear you had fun, biss. I wish I had been there with you, I love me some fossil hunting!
Is that you in your avatar Tubbs?
Old 11th April 2022, 09:45

My internet contract comes to an end in a month and i want to sort out a new one with them/Virgin because they're the only one's who offer fibre in my area (). Standard internet services only offer speeds of 2-4mb/s, which is pathetic and i refuse to pay the same price as someone only a postcode away who gets, say, 10-15mb/s.

My question is this: if they wanted to negotiate a new contract at a higher price (likely), would saying, 'fine, i've spoken to my neighbour and they said i can use theirs', hold any sway? I'm fairly certain downstairs is with Virgin and they won't want to lose my custom and have two separate addresses using the one service.
Old 11th April 2022, 09:53

^ check the deal you can get on a price comparison website (including what you'd get as a new V customer) and maybe that would make them more likely to knock it down. Sometimes the mere mention of considering somewhere else gets them to reconsider their price.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/br...customer-tips/
Old 11th April 2022, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
My internet contract comes to an end in a month and i want to sort out a new one with them/Virgin because they're the only one's who offer fibre in my area (). Standard internet services only offer speeds of 2-4mb/s, which is pathetic and i refuse to pay the same price as someone only a postcode away who gets, say, 10-15mb/s.

My question is this: if they wanted to negotiate a new contract at a higher price (likely), would saying, 'fine, i've spoken to my neighbour and they said i can use theirs', hold any sway? I'm fairly certain downstairs is with Virgin and they won't want to lose my custom and have two separate addresses using the one service.
There's not really any way you won't end up paying a lower price for the same thing if you contact them to negotiate going onto a new contract. It's even easier now because you can do it all on WhatsApp, including when they put you through to retentions (it just takes a while, I think my last one took about 24 hours in total). You should definitely be able to save a few pounds a month. I don't think saying you'll use your neighbour's broadband would be any different to them to saying you want to cancel it for any other reason.

I've been doing this dance with them every time the contract is up for years now, and it's always the same. Firstly, they tend to ignore the quoting new/other customer prices thing. If you have some figures to hand you can mention them, but they'll know even more figures than you and have excuses ready ("Ours costs more because it's more reliable/faster/you don't need a landline," etc). Secondly, even if you go too hard and refuse every offer you have a month to change your mind about the cancellation, and they'll almost definitely contact you within that period and offer you an even better price. Even if they don't, you can just wait until the day before it's due to end and say you've changed your mind and try to negotiate again (they'll know the best price you were offered when you told them to cancel it, and either match that or try to beat it).

Their usual routine is this: say you're currently on 200mb broadband only with them, paying £35 a month, their first step is to offer you a service that's less than you're currently on for less money, e.g. 100mb broadband only for £25 a month. You can then ask how much 200mb would be and they'll give you a new price less than you're currently paying, e.g. £30. This has happened every time. Sometimes they might offer you more stuff than you want, e.g. "If you add TV to that it'll be £50 a month", but even then you can say how much is it if I don't have the TV and stick with what I've got, and they'll give you a price less than you're currently paying.
Old 11th April 2022, 10:27

^^ Yeah, the neighbour idea is the only 'considering somewhere else' bargaining chip alternative i've got. We're a cornered market here (annoyingly, even though i'm a stones throw from the city.... almost like it's deliberate .. ). They know there's no alternative for the everyday, big data, modern internet user. I'll have a look at what's being offered to new customers, but....
Old 11th April 2022, 10:50

^^ Okay, that sounds good, i'd be happy just to continue at the same price really, though cheaper would be great. I've not got Whatsapp, so i'll use the live chat and just make an enquiry.
Old 11th April 2022, 10:57

Lol, live chat wants me to carry on in Whatsapp
Old 11th April 2022, 11:31

^ Maybe because they want to exchange nudes.
Old 11th April 2022, 11:49

Maybe, it's possible, though i don't want to jump the gun - i shall wait until i'm actually asked for nudes.
Old 11th April 2022, 11:51

If they do, say you attempted to send them but the speed and reliability of your broadband meant they failed to go through, and ask for a reduction in your monthly bill as compensation.