SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th January 2006, 14:45

Default The Alexander Technique

has anyone else tried this? I have been having a few lessons now and finding it useful.

Im starting to iron out all my bad habits.

My teacher noticed that whenever he asks me a question I instictively went "Errrrrrrrrr....." then bit my lip had a bit of a fidget and a wiggle in my chair. Im now starting to say no to these habits which is more difficult than you might think. im slowly starting to sit still and answer the question with a reply. half the time, you dont realise you are doing your bad habits until someone points it out to you.

Ive also noticed when im tensing my muscles in every day situations, which adds to your feelings of stress. eg I noticed that when im walking through the town center i tense my shoulders up into a bit of a shrug. Ive stopped doing that now when i notice it, and it makes me feel more relaxed.

I would recommend it.
Old 27th January 2006, 15:28

Default Re: The Alexander Technique

Whats involved in this technique ive heard bout it b4 but dont know what u have to do and things? luv candi x
Old 27th January 2006, 15:59

Its about using your body correctly. Relearning how to use it properly by getting out of bad habits we have picked up throughout life. How to sit, stand, walk, everything we do really. So that you are not putting your body under any stress or making it do too much work. Its not aimed at people with anxiety, but it can help. Actors and musicians use it a lot for stage fright and correct posture etc.

see this link...http://www.alexandertechnique.com/at.htm
Old 27th January 2006, 16:46

I do this! I make sure i walk with my shoulders back and I look staight ahead, not down.
Also, I always hold something (eg. a bottle, magazine, paper, some gloves, an umbrella).. so i don't fiddle with my hair.
Also I try not to cross my arms whilst walking or talking to people.
Also I have tried to stop saying 'erm..'
Theres probably more but I can't remember.

Now I have had people comment on how good my posture.. so thats good.
Closed Thread