SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th January 2006, 17:23

Default the genetic effect

ive sat and thought about what has made me like this so much and i think back to when i was a child. my mother was always critacising other people for some reason and i think as i was so young, it dented my own feelings towards people, combined with me being bullied at school i think this has been a massive contribution. now im having the same effect on my own kids, my daughter imparticular, as she sees me crossing the road to avoid people and sees my anxiety when i have to go out. because of this she has developed selective mutism. i always wanted my kids to be everything im not, but it isent going that way. i wanderd if anyone else has thought it could be a genetic thing or if im just letting my head run wild.
Old 27th January 2006, 17:52

Default Re: the genetic effect

Hi

When I found out more about sa I talked to my dad and he said he felt the same way when he was younger. So it might be genetic or your enviroment. Like my mum like to compare me to other family members which never helped growing up.

take it easy
Old 27th January 2006, 19:42

all of the women in my family worry alot (not all about the same things)
Old 28th January 2006, 09:59

I'm not sure if it's genetic, but I believe environmental and social considerations way heavily on past behaviour repeating itself in successive family generations.

I know the bitterness and depression that certain members of my family feel are echoed in myself, and vice-versa. It's likely a viscious circle.
Old 28th January 2006, 10:54

SA hasn't been proven to be genetic but learning disorders, aspersers, autism, specific mindsets and personalities, etc are and they can contribute to SA.
Old 28th January 2006, 12:36

SA is not genetic. The predisposition toward anxiety is. Your daughter didn't inherit your SA but is probably mimicking your behaviour. I don't know what you could do to change this, maybe other SA people with kids could give you some advice. Good luck to you.
Closed Thread