SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th January 2006, 18:51

Default Group Therapy

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with group therapy and how did you find it, I shall be starting this soon and wonderd if you found it usefull.
Old 27th January 2006, 19:41

Default Re: Group Therapy

yeh i would like to do S.A group theropy. Coz ive done theropy in groups before (with my mates at a group with 'people who cant go to school') and i could talk more in that situation then anywhere else!
Old 27th January 2006, 20:02

I tried it about 4 years ago and although I only went twice, I did find it helpful. It was a strange feeling to be in a room full of strangers who were also having problems. Although, it seemed most in the group suffered from OCD, so I couldn't really relate to what they were talking about. At least I felt that no-one would laugh at me for feeling how I do and that in itself was a nice feeling.

Group therapy isn't easy, but then, no therapy is, and I would imagine it gets somewhat easier as you progress because it does improve your confidence and gets you used to talking in groups. I had to quit mine because I felt the tasks I was set were just too much for me, but I would say it had a positive effect on me after only 2 meetings.

I think it's worth a try for anyone; there isn't really a lot to lose, but a lot to gain.

Ben
Old 27th January 2006, 20:13
Intro Guy

I've done a fair bit of group therapy and always found it difficult talking about my problems in front of a room full of people, as speaking in public is already one of my problems.

The worst part was when we had to do role-play
Old 27th January 2006, 20:17

Mood
Notamused

I did group analytical therapy for four years, it didn’t work. I still have depression and SA but can analyse mine and other people’s behaviours easier, as for my own behaviours I dunno maybe they are too deep seated or this wasn’t any good for me. The group I went to was very 'in you face' and difficult, I ended up leaving because I was mentally exhausted. Maybe it just wasn’t the right group or therapist for me, you can only really find out for yourself how it will be because all group dynamics will be different as well as therapists.
Old 27th January 2006, 21:41

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how it went in a few months.
Old 27th January 2006, 22:04

Mood
Notamused

Good luck, I hope it all goes well and helps you.
Closed Thread