SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th July 2020, 18:15

Default How do you feel about masks?

Do you find a bit unnerving everyone wearing masks? Do you feel socially anxious wearing the masks?
Old 14th July 2020, 18:27

Default Re: How do you feel about masks?

No. I've been in Poland for a week, where they're compulsory in all shops as well as on public transport, so since starting my journey here (bus to the station, train to the airport, the flight itself and then the bus from the airport), I've become used to having two or three in my pocket and whipping one out whenever necessary.

I don't really give it much thought now, although I was looking forward to not having to wear one after I get home tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Old 14th July 2020, 19:16

Mood
Cynical

^ You'll only have a short reprieve as it is becoming compulsory in shops here too on 24th!

I don't feel uncomfortable anxiety wise with other people wearing them. I wore one in a shop for the first time today as I thought I should try to get used to it, it was more physically uncomfortable than anxiety provoking really.
Old 14th July 2020, 19:22

I'm not bothered at all by wearing masks, but I am bothered by people who still don't know how to wear them properly. Four months of government advice and people still aren't covering their noses.
Old 14th July 2020, 19:36

Or they are simply using them as chin hammocks
Old 14th July 2020, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ You'll only have a short reprieve as it is becoming compulsory in shops here too on 24th!

I don't feel uncomfortable anxiety wise with other people wearing them. I wore one in a shop for the first time today as I thought I should try to get used to it, it was more physically uncomfortable than anxiety provoking really.
Yes, I know - that's why I said "was". They do seem more comfortable the more you wear them, but I still get too hot (less noticeably so now though).

@Indigo: I wear mine as a chin hammock, if I've just come from somewhere where I need to wear it and know I'll need it on again shortly (eg. just come out of a shop to wait at a bus stop). I thought it was a bold fashion statement!

Old 14th July 2020, 19:53

Mood
Cynical

^ Oh I'm sorry, I misread your post. That was the trouble I was having, I was getting hot under the mask.
Old 14th July 2020, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ Oh I'm sorry, I misread your post. That was the trouble I was having, I was getting hot under the mask.
No need to be sorry, I didn't make it clear (I was trying for ambiguity and it worked). As I said, it does get easier. Today, though, I had to walk up 600 steps whilst wearing one and realised my breathing was becoming heavier, with the ratio of oxygen to carbon dioxide being lower than normal.

Old 14th July 2020, 22:31

I've been wearing a mask almost every time I go outside, unless it's just to empty the bins or something. When cycling though I often pull it down if I'm not near anyone and I'm getting out of breath from the exercise. I've seen very few other people wearing one though, it seems to be quite uncommon in this part of London.
The other day I was in a shop and I started coughing heavily as I think my mask somehow got some pollen under it and set my hayfever off. It was really embarassing. I was fine when I left the house... mostly they've not been a problem though, just that one time.
Old 14th July 2020, 23:02

Mood
Tired

With a face like mine they should be compulsory all the time lol

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Old 15th July 2020, 06:47

Strangely enough the wearing of masks has helped with one aspect of my SA. To combat my SA I wear glasses - be it shades, coloured lense glasses or reading glasses - even though I have 20/20 vision.

Its something I have been doing since I was eighteen and would love to stop more than anything in the world but I feel so self concious and anxious without them.

Figure this? Whenever I wear a Covid mask, I don`t need glasses!!

Quite liberating but still not ideal.
Old 15th July 2020, 08:33

Mood
Mellow

Hate them, I can't breathe properly, feels like I'm being suffocated with a pillow.

I only see a few people wear them where I live (small town).
Old 15th July 2020, 09:06
Banned at own request

I haven't worn one, and was hoping it wouldn't be compulsory. I know I will feel self-conscious wearing one.
Old 15th July 2020, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo_
Or they are simply using them as chin hammocks
I'm chin-hammocking right now, outside the airport!

Old 15th July 2020, 12:58

SA heaven I would have thought...possibly. Sometimes us SAers set our mouths in unnatural ways if we think we’re being observed, a self-conscious nervous reaction. A mask, properly worn, plus a pair of sunglasses and SA-free anonymity is yours, covering up all the SA ‘problem areas’ on your boat race, thereby allowing you to cartwheel and moonwalk to the shops, places of interest and local conveniences completely unhindered. Marvellous.
Old 15th July 2020, 13:00

No more than the masks everyone was wearing before. At least now people seem more respectful. Even if it's done behind a veil of pretense and fear. I see more good coming from recent events than I had before. I say that as someone who was recently attack with a pickaxe and still struggling. What will happen will happen. I do my best not to judge those whom are non-compliant as well not judge those who are overly anal with the rules.
Old 15th July 2020, 16:31

^ has your mask got a nose wire? It helps stop the glasses steam.
Old 15th July 2020, 17:29

I have been using a mask when I go shopping since the lockdown started, it seemed the socially responsible thing to do. I was a bit self-conscious in the beginning when I was almost the only one but now I have no trouble with it.
Old 15th July 2020, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious_introvert
I'm chin-hammocking right now, outside the airport!

Haha, pull the mask up dammit!
Old 15th July 2020, 17:35

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattEvs

Figure this? Whenever I wear a Covid mask, I don`t need glasses!!
I'm not listening to you again, tried this and walked straight into a lamp post!

I struggle with a mask, can't breathe wearing it and although I can say I'm exempt on medical grounds it's not worth the hassle of having to explain why I'm not wearing one.
Old 15th July 2020, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo_
Haha, pull the mask up dammit!
It's been up most of the day. One bus, one flight, now on my third train with a bus ride to come. Those brief moments of chin-hammocking have been my only relief.

Old 15th July 2020, 18:25

My dad made me wear one to the shops, but I chin-hammocked when going outside. I felt self-conscious because no one else was wearing one. Also I did not enjoy the not being able to breathe properly factor, but at least that stopped me from dawdling like I normally would. I want to get a nice one so I can make a fashion statement out of it.
Old 15th July 2020, 18:27

^ I've seen some really pretty ones while I've been away - floral designs, rainbow colours etc. Mine are blue and disposable.

Old 15th July 2020, 18:52

Surely now is the best time ever to go rob a bank.
Stop that guy!
Who??
The one with the face mask!

6 year old me wants to use this time as an opportunity to finally walk around everywhere in a full on, full size Darth Vader mask.
Stand outside a sandwich shop.
First person who's eating a bit too quickly and starts choking....look at them directly and raise my hand.

Yes!
Old 15th July 2020, 18:59

Mood
Fine

Weve had to wear them in Scotland since Friday in all indoor places (except our own homes , and pubs, cafes etc)

Personally I find them uncomfortable (but not quite as uncomfortable as Id feared) They fall below your nose a lot so theres a lot of readjusting to do, which of course means touching the face a lot more.

Probably the biggest problem has been my glasses steaming up a lot, so Ime struggling to see things whilst Ime indoors and read signage etc.

Ive only ever worn them in airconditioned supermarkets, so dont know if they would be any worse in more stuffy indoor places, I certainly hope not.

Overall theyve made me less likely to go into shops than before (because of all the faffing about and vision issues. Ill have to find some way round these problems though because its obvious that these things are here to stay and look likely to be a fact of life for (possibly) years to come .

At least we dont have to wear them outdoors ..... yet
Old 15th July 2020, 22:59

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Bookworm
I popped out to Greggs this morning which gave me the opportunity to try a mask for the first time. My glasses did steam up but I was near my home so it wasn't a problem. I read if you put the glasses in soapy water and let them dry naturally it creates a thin film which reduces the issue. Still not sure what's supposed to happen in a cinema though, should people keep their masks on during the performance or not?
Have you tried the Soapy Water thing yet Colin?

I meant to do that the other day but forgot. Best try to remember next time, if i want to see anything when Ime next in a shop!!
Old 18th July 2020, 16:29

Mood
Cynical

Some useful information on masks, and making your own.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...st-coronavirus
Old 18th July 2020, 17:23

Mood
Alienated

When I first tried one on, it was horrible and I felt like I couldn't breathe properly. I thought i'd probably try and avoid going places where I needed them.
However, even by just the second time of trying one, I had got used to it and I don't really find it a problem.
I have been using the bus and train again this week, and I almost forget i'm wearing one.

Communication with other people hasn't been a problem like I thought it would. Also, I strangely feel less self-conscious while wearing a mask. I'm quite sensitive about my face, so I feel better covering it up!
Old 18th July 2020, 19:54

Mood
Alienated

We dont bother with them at work (probably should) and I don't go anywhere else..so I've never needed one.

Were going to need transparent ones if we start at work though as we have a deaf bloke in the factory, I can just picture myself miming something to him for 5 minutes before realising he can't even see my mouth
Old 18th July 2020, 21:34

I'm happy that their use is finally mandatory in shops as well. I wonder what nations like South Korea think of us, we decide to start using a way of controlling corona after the worst of an outbreak. Like putting on your seatbelt after a motorway pile up!