SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th July 2017, 10:26

Default Not sure if I have social Anxiety

Hi my name is John, I am 34, have a beautiful wife and daughter. I have a fairly decent job, life is good.

I noticed a few years ago I didn't like going out on my own, I used to make excuses like I don't like shopping, I didn't think anything of it I just liked company. This was even before I met my wife.

A couple of years ago I noticed that I would start to sweat If I had to go anywhere where there was a lot a people, even gatherings at friends, I'd sweat loads, I'd go to the bathroom to cool off and come back, then I'd be ok after a while, it was like it never happened.

Then I noticed it with people, even some I knew, I didn't mind talking to them but all the way through the conversation I would sweat. I try to avoid people now so I don't get in that situation.

I was at a meeting the other day and I started sweating before we'd even started, just in case they came to me.

The thing is is I am a social person, but I've never liked being the centre of attention.

My wife laughs it off and says I just sweat but I'm not convinced.

In the meeting I felt like screaming, like I was going to explode as its getting so frustrating now.

So do I have Social Anxiety or am I just going mad??

Thanks for the time.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:36

Default Re: Not sure if I have social Anxiety

Is it just the sweating, or is there some emotion that goes along with it? I guess it sounds like some of the hallmarks of social anxiety (assuming anxiety was present). For me, this all started way back at the age of ten or so and I was a blusher, not a sweater, so I can't relate to that part but I can relate to late-blooming fears (in my case, flying. I used to love it. Now I dread it). I think in your case it might be good to just go over, in your mind, what you fear and why. Then, make a plan for it. In a way your fear sounds rational - no-one likes being the centre of attention in meetings unless they have planned for it. So you can rehearse, in your mind, how you want the meeting to go if they call on you. And - have an escape plan. By that I don't mean have a clear path to the window (though God knows I have entertained that thought many a time) but simply how to handle it if someone calls attention to your sweating (or even if you become hyper-aware of it). For me, I have a ready phrase. I just say "Oh, yeah, I'm just a red, sweaty mess" and that diffuses things, takes the sting out. Good luck
Old 20th July 2017, 10:49

Hello, thanks for getting back to me. I too used to blush when I was younger, but I could just laugh that off. I find the sweating part not as easy. I'm not sure about emotions, anger and frustration are one, never fear. I just feel people are looking at me and this uneases me. I also find when I am stressed I sweat. But now I notice it (and other people too) it concerns me more. I will even go as far an wearing cloth colours that won't show sweat as much.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Old 20th July 2017, 16:25

Mood
Fine

Sounds like a combination of Hyperhidrosis and Social Anxiety,

Have a look at this link

http://www.social-anxiety.com/area-o...-hyperhidrosis
Old 20th July 2017, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm
Sounds like a combination of Hyperhidrosis and Social Anxiety,

Have a look at this link

http://www.social-anxiety.com/area-o...-hyperhidrosis
Yes it does seem to be this or some sort of form of this. thanks for the link, I will read up on it

Old 20th July 2017, 18:45

Can anyone recommend any self help books that have helped them?