SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th December 2017, 22:50

Default Facebook cold turkey

I hate Facebook, it's not only got my mother in law who is so nosy and likes to stick her nose in, but my 'friends' who all seem to be happy and have perfect life, so I'm thinking of quitting Facebook, anyone done it with no implications, I know it sounds pathetic

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Old 9th December 2017, 01:34

Default Re: Facebook cold turkey

Not actually removed my profile but not posted or even gone on it for months at a time, yeah. Social media and particularly Facebook brings out the worst in people I think. Many people just post things to try and get attention or likes or prove how great/good they are or to be dramatic/shocking or make themselves out to be over-important etc etc.

I've never had much interest in doing any of the above so never indulged that much with Facebook aside from sharing photos and sometimes messaging in private. It's OK for those things which was sort of it's original purpose before it morphed into the realm of memes and "status" updates.
Old 9th December 2017, 02:03

Been on facebook a couple of times, always end up closing account after not too long. just made me feel worse about myself and my lack of a life. If you feel quitting it is the right thing for you to do then you should just do it, especially if it's not contributing anything positive to your life or is making you feel bad.
Old 9th December 2017, 04:31

Thanks everyone, I just wanted to know if you had ever done it for a kind of the same reason and wanted to know if Facebook ever made you feel the same way or if it was me just being weird lol

Old 9th December 2017, 12:36
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

I tend to leave it alone for a while every now and then (mainly when I'm getting low on data on my phone). I left it alone for three weeks after the Brexit result as didn't want to read everyone shouting at each other.
Going cold turkey for two or three weeks at a time works for me, then I can catch up on what I've missed.
Old 9th December 2017, 15:43
Membrane

I deleted my account. Feels good.
Old 9th December 2017, 16:11

Mood
Relaxed

I haven't deleted my Facebook as I chat to a couple of people on Facebook messenger, but I hardly open the main Facebook app. It feels fine, on the odd occasion I am on the main app, none of the posts make me feel like I'm missing anything (other than cute animal/pet photos).
Old 9th December 2017, 16:16

Awww thank you all, I'm still not sure what to do with it at the moment, it makes me upset and jealous and angry that some of the posts at the perfect life some people have and the amazing jobs that they do

Old 9th December 2017, 18:54

Mood
Lurking

Never been of facebook for years. It didn't help me years ago when I was going through a really rough patch.
Old 9th December 2017, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkprincess 11
Awww thank you all, I'm still not sure what to do with it at the moment, it makes me upset and jealous and angry that some of the posts at the perfect life some people have and the amazing jobs that they do

I understand why you feel that way, I used to feel like that too.

Remember that no one's life is perfect and on social media people will only show you the parts of their life that they want you to see. No one is happy 100% of the time.
Old 9th December 2017, 22:45

I used to feel that way but now I don't care, no-one's life is perfect as Facebook would suggest, people just don't like to put negative stuff about themselves on there. If you randomly glanced at my profile you'd probably think my life was pretty rosy with few issues too - but that isn't really true. There is no harm in cutting it out though, you aren't missing much if you do, I only use it as a time killer.
Old 10th December 2017, 18:34

Thanks I have now downloaded a app that is working well and blocking my Facebook for 24 hours imgoing to see if I can do that first, I think I should as on here is much better for support with like minded people

Old 11th December 2017, 09:38

Facebook really is one of the very worst tools for people with the likes of Social Anxiety and Depression to use. I do urge anyone who has an account and finds themselves almost entirely ignored on there to either close their account or very much limit it's use.

I closed down my original account back in early 2014 simply because I could say I was flying to the moon and would be completely ignored. Meanwhile, anyone else who put so much as a 'full stop' in their status and would end up with comments and 'likes' into double digits within half a day. Easily. I become so disillusioned with it all that it had to go. I was making the effort, I was even commenting on other people's updates - only to remain ignored 99% of the time.

I set up a second account at the start of 2016 (for reasons I won't get into here - it'll take too long!) but under some strict rules. I'd only 'friend' those who were close to me or people I deal with most days. As a result, I have about 12(ish) 'friends'. All those 'friends' are unfollowed so none of their status updates appear on my timeline. All that appears on my timeline are the few companies I follow. I can count on one hand anything I put on my own wall in any given year and even then, I only make them visible to certain people. I make no comment or 'likes' at all on anyone else's wall - merely repaying the same favour I got with my old account.

I might look at my Facebook once a week or so, but that really is it. It's just not designed for people who are 'left behind' in life, who are simply trying to grab some scraps of the positivity that come to others by the bucket-load, regularly.

I know it can be argued these people aren't happy all of the time and I do genuinely understand that. However, my point still stands that they can still put anything up on social media (not just Facebook) and get a mass of positive attention, congratulations e.t.c for what they do. No additional effort, or any, required. They still will have made plenty of progressions in any given year - such as partners, marriage, children, new jobs, new larger houses, foreign holidays e.t.c - and I can't see how they can 'fake' any of those things...