SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th January 2019, 13:43

Default Are there any favorite books you turn to when you feel sad or unhappy?

I'm thinking of those books that always cheer you up. It could be poems, novels, non-fiction...anything that always inspires and uplifts you. Are there specific chapters/ passages of those books?
Old 11th January 2019, 16:54

Default Re: Are there any favorite books you turn to when you feel sad or unhappy?

I love a bit of Tolkien, especially when I feel low. The most comforting books are the ones that take me out of the here and now – fantasy, sci fi, etc. Weirdly, I also find Philip Larkin's poetry comforting! Oh, and pretty much anything by Dickens or Hardy.
Old 11th January 2019, 17:04

Mood
Insomnious

Default Re: Are there any favorite books you turn to when you feel sad or unhappy?

I go to Tolkien, Pratchett and Bryson. Audio books usually.
Old 11th January 2019, 17:45

Mood
Cynical

Any of the Adrian Mole diaries by Sue Townsend.
Old 12th January 2019, 20:38

Basically any good children's books from my childhood. Or Harry Potter, in fact I first read HP when I was quite down.
Old 14th January 2019, 13:21

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea
I'm another who turns to books I read when young - some of Enid Blyton's "Adventure" or "Mystery" series; also P.G. Wodehouse's stories of dottiness in stately homes; Gerald Durrell's "My Family and Other Animals"; pony stories. And Alan Coren's humour.

Generally things that take me to other, sunny, carefree places and make me smile.
I love the Durrel books. I wish id found them as a kid but I only came across them in my later 20s.
Old 15th January 2019, 14:49

I often read out loud from my favorite books. It's the best therapy I know. The following always cheer me up:

P G Wodehouse: Right Ho Jeeves. A flawless masterpiece. Beautiful language, brilliant dialogue, and possibly the funniest piece of writing in English.

Patrick Leigh Fermor: A Time of Gifts. Fermor was a travel writer who seems to love everyone and everything. Amazing antidote to the blues.

Aldous Huxley:Crome Yellow. Huxley at his best - sharp, clever, witty and brilliant.

I can dip into any of those three and random, read them out loud and feel happier.