SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th October 2021, 14:09

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: Do you know any narcissists?

Or try to fill that void by being mean to others.
Old 20th October 2021, 14:33

^Yeah, exactly
Old 20th October 2021, 17:52

There's actually quite a lot of uncomfortable similarities, but I guess the most crucial difference is that narcissists mostly vent their frustrations outwards rather than inwards.

I think it's a similar type of neuroticism. Look at (and I absolutely despise this term) "nice guy syndrome" (urgh!) That sort of behaviour involves a number of narcissistic traits, but most wouldn't fit the stereotype of the flash, overbearing type who thinks they're god's gift. It's very similar behaviour but manifested in a different way. On the surface it seems the opposite, but there's a lot of similarities in those behaviours if you analyse it.

In fact I'd say that's closer to my idea of narcissism than some "influencer" flaunting themselves all over Instagram, which to me is more vanity than narcissism.

I think the problem in society these days is that people strive to be self-confident, but because deep down they're not they come across as more narcissistic because they feel a desperate need to prove themselves. People see life as too much of a competition.
Old 20th October 2021, 18:58

^ Well said
Old 20th October 2021, 20:15

^^ Spot on.

As its been said, only a professional can truly diagnose someone with an actual disorder, eg NPD. But if you observe some narcissistic traits in the people around you - friends, family, work colleagues - I think the qualifier (on a personal level) is to see if there is a consistent wake of human destruction behind them. And if so, adapt your behaviour accordingly so you do not suffer their wrath. They can destroy people's lives because of their lack of self worth. And if you are going to go into battle be prepared, because a narcissist hell bent on revenge is a very dangerous person.

As a slight tangent, The Goldwater Rule is a great idea in theory. It's just hasn't moved with the times. Mary Trump (Donald's niece) is a qualified psychologist and grew up around him, but because she hasn't physically sat down with Trump in sessions she ain't officially allowed to diagnose.

We have a very maladjusted relationship to the people we elect into leadership. Medical professionals getting together such as the Duty To Warn group is very much a good thing

https://twitter.com/duty2warn
Old 20th October 2021, 20:33

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
^^ Spot on.

As its been said, only a professional can truly diagnose someone with an actual disorder, eg NPD. But if you observe some narcissistic traits in the people around you - friends, family, work colleagues - I think the qualifier (on a personal level) is to see if there is a consistent wake of human destruction behind them. And if so, adapt your behaviour accordingly so you do not suffer their wrath. They can destroy people's lives because of their lack of self worth. And if you are going to go into battle be prepared, because a narcissist hell bent on revenge is a very dangerous person.

As a slight tangent, The Goldwater Rule is a great idea in theory. It's just hasn't moved with the times. Mary Trump (Donald's niece) is a qualified psychologist and grew up around him, but because she hasn't physically sat down with Trump in sessions she ain't officially allowed to diagnose.

We have a very maladjusted relationship to the people we elect into leadership. Medical professionals getting together such as the Duty To Warn group is very much a good thing

https://twitter.com/duty2warn
Amazed its taken this long in the thread, for 'Trump' to be mentioned

Surely the worlds Number one Narcissist?