SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th January 2016, 19:44
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Stockholm Syndrome

I may end up deleting this thread cause I'm not even sure what I think and doubtful it will get any replies in any case. But....

So had a counselling session today and my counseller out of the blue brought up Stockholm syndrome (fairly gently though). And was pretty much indicating that she felt that this was along the lines of me and my parents (not in the being abducted sense! but in the chronic domestic abuse sense and in my case also combined with living/growing up in isolated places). After I left I thought about something someone else (a recovery worker) said to me once upon a time - that I defend / stick up for my parents and it's confusing to listen to, because I shouldn't.

It's not something I've ever thought about tbh or considered and I don't really know what to think.

Just wondered if anyone else has been told this? or thought about it? I normally relate my lack of emotional connection when talking to others on the subject (of my parents in the past) or emotionally loaded topics to AvPD (not officially diagnosed) and of being loyal/defending my parents, but now I'm like .

Actually I've never really thought about Stockholm syndrome and never really related it to emotional abuse, more hostage situations!

Edit: just been googling http://counsellingresource.com/lib/t...elp/stockholm/
Old 21st January 2016, 15:10

Default Re: Stockholm Syndrome

I've only really thought about it in relation to hostage situations too but thinking about it more of course the same principles apply.

That article is really interesting, in particular the stuff about it being a survival strategy for victims. It just becomes the norm and something you don't even realise you've been caught up in, really scary stuff reading that actually.

Perhaps now it's been mentioned you can have a look more into it and a think about it in relation to your own situation. I hope you find some answers either way, it sounds like quite a confusing situation.