SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 13th February 2018, 12:02

Default Do you dye your hair?

Fess up

My hair is going grey, which is normal for my age. My eyebrows are very weird, because they have lots of white hair in them, but have been like that a long time, I blame stress. If I want to look like I have eyebrows I have to draw them in, I don't mind that.

My hair isn't very grey, not like my sad eyebrows, it's mainly dark blond and is past my shoulders, probably too long for my age, but I can't afford to keep it cut to shoulder length. It does have quite a few white hairs around my temples though. Weirdly, I'd like for my hair to be completely grey/white. I like that, but I don't like this 'a bit grey', I feel like it looks scruffy somehow. Especially as the white hairs are mental.

I'd like to dye it, but I won't buy normal hair dye as it's been tested on animals. I've seen one that hasn't in Holland & barret, but I'm not sure what it will look like or if I'll regret it. I used to dye my hair with henna & I liked that, but it only covers in one block colour, so roots are really obvious..I'm wondering if I can just colour the white hairs...

don't know why I care. I'm a mess anyway
Old 13th February 2018, 12:07

Default Re: Do you dye your hair?

No. I have big grey streaks in my hair but I'm just glad it hasn't fallen out. I seem to have dodged that bullet.
Old 13th February 2018, 12:16

^o, but you're a man. It looks different on men.

Dyed hair looks a bit weird on a man.
Old 13th February 2018, 12:18

^^Are you a man?

I am making that assumption...but women loose their hair too..
Old 13th February 2018, 14:47
Co-Administrator

Been dying my hair since I was about 20 I think. Began with box dyes but I get it coloured in a salon every couple of months now
Old 13th February 2018, 15:07
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I wish I was brave enough to dye my hair. I'm just scared how it may turn out, my hairs rubbish as it is and is impossible to do anything with. My counseller has suggested that hair dye would help to thicken my hair. But i'm still not sure. (slightly random conversation for a therapy session, lol)

I have the same issue with grey hairs as you jinny. They look more prominent on some days than others but they are peppered through my hair and a bit mental as they have a different texture . I kind of feel it makes me look scruffy too.
Old 13th February 2018, 16:37

Mood
Sad

^ My hair is a nightmare, too. I once shaved it all off to see if that would look any better. Having a shaved head is even more annoying than sticking your hair in a ponytail, though!

I keep thinking about dyeing my hair, as I'm 33 and have quite a few grey hairs that I feel self-conscious about, but then if I start dyeing it, I have to keep dyeing it and I'm generally a low-maintenance (lazy) person. Plus, hair dyes have a lot of chemicals in them and I don't want to have an allergic reaction. I've thought about henna, but it looks a lot of hassle. It's so much easier to do nothing!
Old 13th February 2018, 17:40

Mood
Shoveit

No, though I might one day, the George clooney look won't look so debonair on moi, I can tell. I was gonna dye it blonde/ish at one point but someone talked me down lol
Old 13th February 2018, 19:58

The last few years I've been going to the hairdressers to get it high lighted. Really needs doing again , my Fringe is all back to it's natural dark colour and so is half my hair length.
I think dark hair makes me look older.
I have noticed a few Grey's too
Old 13th February 2018, 20:06

A mobile hairdresser comes to my house and does it every three to four months. I have darker roots and blonde ends.
Old 13th February 2018, 20:13

I don't dye my hair anymore, but I dyed it for years (decades).

I have quite a lot of grey, and also quite a lot of brown. The reason I dyed it was to cover the grey, but it became such a faff and a chore and the colour always went a bit orangey. Growing it out was really hard, as it was a solid colour. I think you're right to steer clear of that.

I've not tried colouring the whites, but sometimes I think I'd like a little blue streak or something like that. I'm kind of scared to now, because I've spent so long growing dye out. I think my hair is nicer now than it was when I dyed it, it's softer and more healthy, the orangey colour was not nice at all.

My hair is longer than shoulder length too, but I think that's OK.
Old 13th February 2018, 20:51

thanks for the replies,

I think you're right, Messer, if I dyed it myself it would likely be a block colour that would start to annoy me because of roots. I get a bit obsessive about things, which is one reason I leave my hair quite long. It's a bit wavy, so whenever I have it cut shorter or in a style, it never sits right, because the wave in it makes it go asymmetrical & then I get annoyed & obsessive about it & start chopping little bits off If I had roots I'd start fussing about them.

@Michelle, I had mine shaved once too! It was actually to get rid of the Henna. I'd had it long & dyed red for quite a few years, & wanted to go back to my natural colour, so I got it cut shorter, then shorter & after a couple of weeks thought **** it & went & got it shaved off. I quite liked it, so easy to dry!! Though I did spend a few months wearing more makeup than usual & dresses to compensate, & I was only about 22...so could get away with it.

maybe I should just live with the grey. Unless there's a wash in wash out dye I could use?
Old 13th February 2018, 22:20

Mood
Paranoid

I dye mine. Have done since I was 25. Probably wouldn’t have bothered left to my own devices, but mum thought I should cover up the white strands that were starting to come through. We bought a black dye, coz my hair is naturally dark. It came out horribly black!!! I mean, awfully, obviously dyed and it didn’t suit me at all. I went into work the next day and jaws just dropped open! Really great experience for someone who was (and still is) terribly self conscious anyway. I went on to dark brown after that which was a lot better. Then, years later, a hairdresser said I should warm my colour up a bit, and he put red streaks in it. I didn’t mind that but mum wasn’t impressed!!! Nowadays I sometimes dye it black currant which comes out quite purple on top, and is NOT a good look !!! And much more regularly I use deep reddish brown which I quite like. I’ve got longish, naturally curly hair, which is a bit like wire wool and I should probably wear it a lot shorter but I like to hide behind my hair. Roots are def. a problem though and I have to colour my hair every four weeks.
Old 14th February 2018, 02:03

Mood
Lurking

I do also, I buy tubes of dialight and bottles of the mixer.
I used to go to the hairdressers and get highlights or different colours but this is cheaper and what they use in hairdressers anyway so i just go there for trims now.
And I've also got some greys too that I cover shhhhhhhh
I can't remember if its semi permanent or permanent but it covers all me hair anyway.
Old 14th February 2018, 15:14

Have dyed my hair a few times over the years, wouldn't mind doing it again as don't really like my hair colour, and would be nice for a change, spect I've got a few grey hairs in there as well, have noticed one or two but just pull them out :/ have always fancied deep red, but not sure if I would suit that. seen this a little while ago, thought it was pretty cool, hair dye that changes colour depending on what temperature it is

not sure if they're selling it yet or not, think they were trying to get funding or something. they should make a 'mood hair' dye, where it changes colour depending on what mood you're in, not sure if that would be a good idea tho, might be too much information, sometimes want to keep that kind of thing to yourself. would be interesting tho I suppose, bit of variety.
Old 14th February 2018, 18:31

Quote:
I have the same issue with grey hairs as you jinny. They look more prominent on some days than others but they are peppered through my hair and a bit mental as they have a different texture .
Yes, its the pigment that contains the moisture. Decrease in pigment = decrease in moisture. So hair can begin to feel & look coarse.

A quality unrefined raw coconut oil, massaged in, & left overnight will benefit.

Scalp massage, to stimulate blood flow/circulation to the follicles, done regularly, can also help.
Old 14th February 2018, 20:48

You were such a cool teenager HH, always suspected so
Old 16th February 2018, 05:43

I’ve only ever dyed my hair once and I still shudder at the experience. It was during my 20’s, a time when I was trying to find my style. Although I had already conquered my wardrobe style during that time, as I was wearing plain and itchy homemade jumpers. But back to my hair dye catastrophe, I had already ruled out a trip to the barbers, as I figured I was only capable of making small talk for about 10 minutes. Although it would probably be less than 10 minutes if the barber wasn’t interested in talking about the weather. So I decided a DIY hair dye was the best solution and I proceeded to the nearest Boots chemist. Now this is where I became overwhelmed, because I was confronted with a plethora of hair dye products. Before I continue. I’m not really a fan of the word plethora, but I thought it might make me sound smarter. Anyway, I was finding it difficult to choose which product to purchase. So then I decided to simplify the process and I based my hair dye purchase on the fact that the guy on the packaging looked overly happy, like really happy. I can only imagine what was going on during that hair dye photo shoot. But if he’s anything like me, he probably saw a chocolate cake at the exact moment his hair dye photo was taken. Anyway, as I got home I questioned whether I should read the hair dye instructions, but I overruled this decision as I figured what could go wrong.

Before I continue, this story is taking longer than I thought it would, so why don’t we all take a break and listen to some of my favourite lift music.

Say what you like, but that is the best lift music there is!

Where was I? Oh yeah, I didn’t read the hair dye instructions. Oh and before I continue, it sounds like I’m really building up this story. You might even be expecting a spectacular ending to this story. Which is why you need to lower your expectations. That way you might not feel like you have wasted your valuable time reading a story about a guy who purchased a cheap hair dye product. So back to the story, I started applying the hair dye product and I was happy with the results so far. I forgot to mention that I started off as a light blonde and I was hoping to transition into a jet black. But as the hair dye was doing it’s thing, I was busy making myself a sandwich, which took longer than I thought, what with defrosting the bread and grating the cheese. Grated cheese might taste better but it’s such a hassle to wash the cheese grater afterwards. Anyway, back to the hair dye story. So I must have had that hair dye product on me for over an hour before I realised I needed to wash it out.

Before I continue, anyone who has a nervous disposition can continue reading this story.

So as the water was washing out the dye, I was at first taken aback at how different I looked. I then dried my hair and I was still taken aback at how different I looked. My eyebrows were as pale as snow but my hair looked like it was coated in shoe polish. It was then that I consulted the hair dye instructions and I learned several valuable lessons that day.

Lesson one:

Don’t make a grated cheese sandwich, as the hair dye will need to be washed out earlier than you realise, as well as the time you spend sobbing uncontrollably afterwards.

Lesson two:

Realising the hair dye product you purchased was permanent and all the washing your hair in the world isn’t going to help. Have I already mentioned the uncontrollable sobbing? Well in any case, I sure had fun shaving off all of my hair afterwards.

So the moral of the story is don’t grate your cheese sandwich as there is just as much flavour in an ungrated cheese sandwich.
Old 16th February 2018, 10:25

Thanks for sharing your story
I am guessing that you have never dyed your hair since! To be fair, I would always put the quality of a sandwich over my appearance.
Old 16th February 2018, 10:47

I dyed my hair black for years. I haven't done it in about a year, due to having really bad dandruff and being unable to find an anti-dandruff shampoo that doesn't strip the dye out of my hair. My hair's pretty much back to its natural reddish dark brown and I fancy a change, but can't decide between red or purple.
Old 16th February 2018, 11:57

I think you would suit either, maybe both?

I'm wondering whether just to leave mine and let it turn into dreadlocks my kids don't like the idea & they might be a bit itchy, but I do like dreadlocks.
Old 6th April 2018, 15:52

Nope. Just let my hair go lighter naturally and luckily it's just reached the light blonde stage. Hopefully that's how it will stay for some years before it goes white.
Old 6th April 2018, 16:13

I am a geezer admittedly, but I've never considered dying my hair; it was always dark brown but with flecks of red, lighter brown, blonde and whatever which weren't immediately apparent to anyone but me. Then, six months or so before I turned 40, I shaved it all off (initially for charity, but I decided to keep the look).

It was more than a decade before I allowed any hair to grow back (I used to shave it twice a day) and I've gone completely grey at some point; this year, I've stopped trimming it and allowed my hair to grow back properly, so now I look like a very grey, very decrepit old man, but only on the outside.
Old 6th April 2018, 18:20
Co-Administrator

I've just dyed mine dark brown with some bright pink/purple running through it
Old 6th April 2018, 20:00

^ That sounds so cool! I want to do something colourful with mine for the summer.

Did you put the colour in yourself? Did you bleach it first, or just put the colour in? (I need tips!)
Old 6th April 2018, 20:18

Also I haven't died my hair in yeaaaaaaaars. I used to dye it all the time - usually different shades of red.
Old 6th April 2018, 21:10
Banned at own request

I used to have deep red streaks in it when I was about 16 - 18 or so, when I was a hippy.
Old 7th April 2018, 10:39
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ That sounds so cool! I want to do something colourful with mine for the summer.

Did you put the colour in yourself? Did you bleach it first, or just put the colour in? (I need tips!)
I went to a salon. I've never been able to box dye my hair myself as my hair is too long and I can't see what I'm doing The stylist bleached the areas she put the pink/purple on first