SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th January 2020, 04:24
Banned

Default Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
^ One of the many reasons everyone should delete their Facebook accounts.
Twitters popularity has been taking a dive for the past 6 months. Facebook stats also took a temp dive, altho their stats have gone back up, I'm wondering how many other non-facebook services use their domain (like portal)

I dunno. maybe people are realising it becomes extremely tedious just arguing about things....
Old 25th January 2020, 06:48

Angry Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbander
Twitters popularity has been taking a dive for the past 6 months. Facebook stats also took a temp dive, altho their stats have gone back up, I'm wondering how many other non-facebook services use their domain (like portal)

I dunno. maybe people are realising it becomes extremely tedious just arguing about things....
Maybe Twitter use went down last year after they started suspending accounts more frequently.

People who don't want to delete their Facebook accounts often say "It's the only way I can stay in touch with my family!" but people kept in touch with their families before Facebook existed, probably even more so. It seems more to do with enjoying being nosy at what people on there are posting (even though it often makes them feel bad about themselves). Why would anyone want to see the holiday photos of someone they went to primary school with?

I've never heard anyone saying they enjoy Facebook, only that they hate it... yet they never do anything about it. Happy to just scroll through an endless feed of **** every day.
Old 25th January 2020, 10:58

Mood
Cynical

^ I don't really engage with the posting every life event stuff on Facebook, I don't even have my picture up, but I am in a few Facebook groups for things which I find really interesting. And ofcourse there's the politics which I like to know about! I'm not on twitter though, I know I would get myself into trouble on there.
Old 25th January 2020, 12:05
Banned

re Jen ,it's easy to open a twitter account...there are loads of accounts with single-number followers (eg, new accounts). I've never had a twitter acct suspended. I've had FB accounts suspended for "not using my real details" (ie, Zucks doesn't have accurate info to sell). I think there are other reasons for twitter diving...

Dougella, FB wants to know it's you (verify identity). twitter doesn't "confirm your identity", so if you want one account for flower arranging, or politix, and another account for machine gun monthly magazine, you can

will check that later herman
Old 25th January 2020, 19:35
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

It's all a load of bollocks really.
Old 25th January 2020, 22:56

Saturday nights are so depressing, doesn't matter what I do.
Old 25th January 2020, 23:15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1662
It's all a load of bollocks really.
+1
Old 26th January 2020, 12:27

Quote:
^ One of the many reasons everyone should delete their Facebook accounts.
If only it was that simple though

It's true that seeing extrovert Facebook 'friends' living their socially active non SA lives can leave me feeling like a depressed loser when I invariably start to compare my hermit like existence to theirs BUT, I've found support on Facebook too. Not through my 'friends' (apart from one or two who also happen to suffer with SA) but through various Facebook groups. Until I read other women's comments where they suffer with identical physical symptoms to me I feared I had some serious illness. Another Facebook Art group cheers my day up.

Also, if I deleted Facebook I'd lose the only tiny amount of contact I have with my birth half sister who I didn't know existed until a couple of years ago. Also a half brother who doesn't even know I exist and I haven't had the courage to contact but maybe someday.

I think a lot of people have a love - hate relationship with Facebook and other types of social media too but once the genie is out of the bottle it's hard to shut the lid again

Anyway....

I've been thinking about a recent appointment...

I went to see my shrink on Friday.
After 15 minutes of small talk (Did you have a nice holiday last year, what's your son studying at college etc) I was more forceful than usual because I was all too aware that my 30 minute appointment was ticking away and interrupted "Can we talk about ME now please?" I felt kind of rude doing this but this was a private appointment and every second costs.

I told him how physically rubbish I've been feeling lately and he insisted that I was suffering with Depression. He said I should try E citalopram that he had obviously forgotten I'd tried months ago but stopped taking because it was causing me to suffer with suicidal ideation. I said I wasn't actually Depressed (I know what Depression feels like!) but peri-menopausal. He sounded genuinely shocked that his client of so many years was middle aged and reminisced, like he always does, about the first time I started seeing him at the age of 21. He chuckles and says I'm more like a daughter than a client. He also chuckled that he chose to deal with peoples heads because the other end is 'too messy' and advised me to see a private Gynaecologist. I said I can't afford to do that, but not having a bottomless pit of money appears to be an alien concept to him. The appointment ends with him writing out a prescription for Lorazepam, something he's been doing for over 20 years. I'm trying to wean myself off the mother*******, before he retires or dies, but it's incredibly hard. A nightmare in fact. Perhaps I'll die first - problem solved!! :

He will send me the £180 bill in the next day or two (because that's what father type figures do isn't it )
Old 26th January 2020, 12:50

^
I've had that too, especially after taking a break for a while. I tried to make a joke of it after it happened a couple of times just so it didn't feel too awkward forcefully changing the subject, although it was still annoying. I'm not paying her a pound a minute to ask about my holiday.
Old 26th January 2020, 12:53

I think with regards to Facebook, if you're going to use it (and I don't mean you Consolida specifically) it is worth taking the time to filter what you see and what fills your newsfeed. Do not follow or like groups or be 'friends' with people who you know will post stuff which could cause anxiety, distress, etc.
Old 26th January 2020, 13:02

Mood
Cynical

^^^ And you are paying to see this guy?! Might be time to seek a second opinion, he doesn't sound like he's actually being very helpful to you.
Old 26th January 2020, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Huntsbach
My life isn’t so bad these days so I don’t like to get too negative but for all the progress I’ve made in some areas I’ve been stuck in barely more than minimum wage jobs for my entire adult life and don’t really know if there’s a way forward for me. I’ve dealt with people who I felt I was on a level with in terms common sense and work ethic (and a fair few lazy people with no common sense) who had somehow managed to get and pass an interview to get ahead while I’m lucky to get a ‘thanks but no thanks’ email for any job I apply for.

In the past it was all about pride. I wanted to have a respectable answer to give whenever anyone asks ‘What do you do?’ but I’ve let go of that nonsense, these days it’s all about money (and the back injury I’m likely to give myself if I’m still doing manual labour 10 years from now).
Can identify with a lot of this! I actually did get an injury from too much manual labour. I'm just too old for badly paid, intensive stuff done full time. It was a real wake-up call!
Old 27th January 2020, 19:44
Banned

Old 27th January 2020, 19:47

Why every recipe that includes ginger requires a "thumb-sized amount", never half a thumb or two thumbs.
Old 27th January 2020, 19:59

^ I put two thumbs in anyway
Old 27th January 2020, 23:00

Quote:
Why every recipe that includes ginger requires a "thumb-sized amount", never half a thumb or two thumbs.
I love ginger so I always disregard how much the recipe says and just use as much as I think I can get away with.
Old 28th January 2020, 09:23

*waves at Freyja*
Old 29th January 2020, 19:11

Mood
Spooky

I know every time I look at Facebook, a little more of me dies inside
Old 29th January 2020, 20:43
Banned

teh fcuk? this product does not include a walnut

Beep....it often does that
Old 29th January 2020, 21:29

Mood
Spooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbander
teh fcuk? this product does not include a walnut

?
If you can’t handle the walnut, you don’t deserve the whip!
Old 30th January 2020, 10:22

^
Old 30th January 2020, 13:50

How terrible it would be if we had to do a sex CV. We would have to detail our sexual histories and try and come up with some special skills that set us apart from the crowd. I'm not sure what the point of it would be - people's CVs would be filled with outrageous claims, key omissions, fiddled dates and for some, a lot of padding. Mine would be worse than my actual CV. Mine would be very short. I wouldn't be able to make one page without it looking pitiable, and definitely no special skills. Then I'd have to listen to people whining about how they just can't condense it into two pages, what are they going to do-oo. Mine would look like the CV of someone, realistically, less than half my age.

I'm not sure what the point of this reverie is. I think it's a) my subconscious deciding I need to get back out there before I get too damn old, and b) yes, it's CV time again. I have reframed the 'but I hate doing this and it's stupid' block by being glad at least it's not my sex CV.
Old 30th January 2020, 17:33

Mood
Cynical

^ My sex CV would be better than my work CV, and i've only had two 'engagements'
Old 30th January 2020, 19:10

Mood
Alienated

I was able to pad my work CV out with a stint of self employment (Which was about 2 years longer than reality)

Would I be able to use self employment on a sex CV?

I do occasionally question that side of my life, I was informed the other week someone was clearly flirting with me (I never noticed it at the time but on reflection..a few things make sense now - not that it even matters I'll never see her again) ..when it happens once every 10 years you tend to forget the signs!
Old 30th January 2020, 19:35

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
No you haven't. Two participants. I'm sure actual engagements number in the thousands now. I'm tired of people implying they are on some sort of sexual breadline when in fact they have regular, readily available sex and have for most of their lives. (Though you were being humourous, obviously, and I lost my sense of humour).
Well you don't count the number of times you go to work do you, you just count each job. So I'm only counting the number of participants. I wasn't implying I was on the sexual breadline I was actually laughing at the lack of paid work I've had! (Also I did not have sexual contact available for most of my life, only from my mid twenties. And you have no idea whether it was regular or readily available) Anyway, the specifics aren't the point
Old 30th January 2020, 19:39

It's not me with the rich sexual past btw, post below mine has disappeared!
One would count engagements and participants I think on the sex CV. Sadly self-employment wouldn't count.
Old 30th January 2020, 20:17

Mood
Spooky

Would I have to provide references? :/
Old 30th January 2020, 20:19

Mood
Bookworm

^ available on request...
Old 31st January 2020, 12:41
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

Two confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the UK

I think it's time to hide away in a cave for a few months.
Old 31st January 2020, 14:11

Mood
Cynical

^ It's not really surprising, apparently the checks on people entering the UK from China have been woeful. People were just asked if they felt unwell and then told to see their GP, so they might have wandered into a doctor's surgery with a highly contagious virus!