SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 13th August 2008, 19:37

Default Rhodiola Rosea

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has ever used rhodiola rosea or had any experiences of it??.

I have read dozens of testimonies on various forums saying how amazing it is for depression/energy/moral and to a point anxiety.

I ordered some because of all the good things i have read about it and took my first dose today. I did actually feel more energised for a time and more confident (went for a walk down the high street which is a big deal for me (always assume people are looking at me from passing cars)).

Im combining it with 5-htp and niacinamide at the moment (was taking inositol but it made me angry for some reason at higher doses).

If you havent heard of it, do a search on google!
Old 13th August 2008, 19:53

Default Re: Rhodiola Rosea

Its something I meant to try a while ago. Its speculated to be part MAOI (anti depressant) and part dopamine stimulator (ecstacy like).

I have read very good stuff about it.

You got to be careful taking 5htp (a serotonin agonist) and rosea (a serotonin antagonist), an excess of serotonin can cause serotonin syndrome. Its potentially deadly, and from my laymans knowledge, a possible consequence of the combination of the stuff your taking.

Some of the most important discoveries I have made about myself, the nature of my personality, and my outlook on the world and my part in it, have been made by 'mixing and matching' herbs/drugs like you seem to be doing. Hence I would never say DONT BE AN ARMCHAIR ALCHEMIST, but I would say tread carefully mate
Old 13th August 2008, 23:19

cheers Ben for the reply .

Yeh im concerned about the seretonin syndrome. niacinimide is meant to work in this way as well (i think). im going to give the rhodiola a chance to build up for a week or two and see how it goes. i think from my glimpse into its effects today (more confidence and happiness for a few hours this afternoon) and from what other people have said, it has the potential to be more effective than 5-htp.

i also have OCD so dont want it to aggrevate it. will let you know how im going on with it!
Old 14th August 2008, 17:23

OMG this is the second day of taking Rhodiola Rosea (with nothing else) and today has been the best day of my life ever, seriously. Ive been on effexor, 5-HTP, Niacinamide and for me this stuff is in a whole new league.

I cant believe how i feel, its not me basically. I've been much happier, much more confident, much more sociable (talked to someone didnt know very well for ages, and it was easy (and that is total opposite to what i would normally be like). Been to a number of shops on my own, been unbelievably motivated and had soooo much energy. my OCD has gone down sooo much as well.

I really hope the good feelings continue...basically all the amazing things ive read about this stuff are coming true.

i can actually see this stuff giving me a new life..kinda excited about the future if can feel like this. And if it builds up in the system things can only get better.

Not saying it will do this for everyone, but check it out!!
Old 14th August 2008, 17:24

And oh yeh, my anxiety has gone right down, felt very calm today and unphased by stuff
Old 14th August 2008, 18:53

simply supplements.heres the link:

http://www.simplysupplements.net/pro...a-tablets-thr/

lots of different brands and apparently they can work to different degrees. Dunno if this is a good make or not, but seems to be doing the trick and the price is right. gonna do more research into the best brands available, but they can be 4 times more expensive than these. Then again if these carry on working, wont need to change over
Old 14th August 2008, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro111
OMG this is the second day of taking Rhodiola Rosea (with nothing else) and today has been the best day of my life ever, seriously. Ive been on effexor, 5-HTP, Niacinamide and for me this stuff is in a whole new league.

I cant believe how i feel, its not me basically. I've been much happier, much more confident, much more sociable (talked to someone didnt know very well for ages, and it was easy (and that is total opposite to what i would normally be like). Been to a number of shops on my own, been unbelievably motivated and had soooo much energy. my OCD has gone down sooo much as well.

I really hope the good feelings continue...basically all the amazing things ive read about this stuff are coming true.

i can actually see this stuff giving me a new life..kinda excited about the future if can feel like this. And if it builds up in the system things can only get better.

Not saying it will do this for everyone, but check it out!!
Make a mental note Maro... drugs be it booze/rosea/coke don't make you sociable, drugs only (potentially) help to unleash the real you. Even if the effects wear off after a while, that sociable confident maro will still exist. SA merely subdues your personality mate, it is not the definition of your personality.

Enjoy it, feeling freed from the shitty lousy horrid SA thoughts is the most liberating thing you will ever feel, the word joyous don't give the sensation justice at all in my book. I hope the effects last a long long time, but if they don't, remember they don't create potential, they merely enable you to realise your own potential.

Good on ya
Old 14th August 2008, 21:45

Meh, I just bought some of it myself.

Any other supplements, herbs, etc, anyone would recommend for SA? Never tried them before, so worth a shot.
Old 14th August 2008, 23:41
Banned

L-DOPA is something worth looking into. its used for people with parkinson's to increase dopamine.
there seems to be a link between dopamine and being sociable and motivated.
Old 15th August 2008, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
Make a mental note Maro... drugs be it booze/rosea/coke don't make you sociable, drugs only (potentially) help to unleash the real you. Even if the effects wear off after a while, that sociable confident maro will still exist. SA merely subdues your personality mate, it is not the definition of your personality.

Enjoy it, feeling freed from the shitty lousy horrid SA thoughts is the most liberating thing you will ever feel, the word joyous don't give the sensation justice at all in my book. I hope the effects last a long long time, but if they don't, remember they don't create potential, they merely enable you to realise your own potential.

Good on ya
Cheers Ben, i totally agree and couldnt have put it better..things like this do allow you to be your real self and unleash your potential. I often think of the things i could and would like to do when im daydreaming at home in a safe environment, but when it comes to doing it the SA kicks in and makes it impossible. The fact that i and mabye most people with SA dream of better things, shows us that those better things are within us and they are what we would naturally strive for if we didnt have this negative blockade in front of us.

Things like these allow us to become the person we really are.

I dont want to raise peoples hopes, but i thought it was the right things to do to report to people my (so far) positive response, so that they can look into it further for themselves. I think for me as well the social aspect a very important part of a website like this is to share experiences and advice/recommendations so that we can help each other through this.
Old 16th August 2008, 13:00

Man this stuff is awesome...sooo much energy and feel really happy today!! feel more confident and less concerned about what other people think.
Old 18th August 2008, 14:53

Been on 5 days now. If you take a low dose apparently it helps with energy and motivation, and if take higher doses it meant to calm you down.

With this i increased my dose and have felt more relaxed in social situations than i have ever felt before, without being spaced out at all. I know people are around me but they dont bother me. Im not worried about other stuff as much as well (have always had OCD). In fact im even looking to get myself back into work, which is a huge step for me. Things dont seem so daunting anymore.

I still have increased energy and am less depressed on the higher doses as well.

Im playing round with the doses but this last few days have been some of the best i have had
Old 18th August 2008, 15:10

That's great news Thanks for the heads-up, I'm going to give it a whirl to see if it helps with chronic fatigue
cheers
Old 18th August 2008, 15:14

Hi Pantini, no probs!

yeh when i take a lower dose it gives me soo much energy, lasts a long time as well. Less energy at higher doses but more calming.

Just make sure the brand you get is siberian and not chinese rhodiola. From what ive read, siberian rhodiola is the only one which contains rosavins which is the active ingredient.

Good luck with it!!
Old 19th August 2008, 21:33

I'd never heard of this before and had a look in Holland and Barrett in town but they didnt have any However after doing some reading up on it online it sounds really good so I've ordered some too!
Old 19th August 2008, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysbabe
I'd never heard of this before and had a look in Holland and Barrett in town but they didnt have any However after doing some reading up on it online it sounds really good so I've ordered some too!
holland & barrett have literally just started selling rhodiola rosea on line, although no product info about it is given at the mo. tbh as im completely new to it as well i dont know what the best brand is (and from what ive read it can make a big difference), but the simply supplements one seems to work very well and contains the main ingredient of rosavins.

Id be interested if people buy any other brands, their experiences with them. simply supplements is a great price as well..especially with the BOGOF.
Old 19th August 2008, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guacamole!
I've ordered some for my other half. Thanks for the heads up

No probs Guacamole! Hope it works well for your other half!
Old 21st August 2008, 15:15

Mood
Lucky

Hows it going with the Rhodiola Rosea?? I have just ordered some...sounds promising!
Old 21st August 2008, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtbythefuzz
??????
Old 21st August 2008, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnt
Hows it going with the Rhodiola Rosea?? I have just ordered some...sounds promising!
Hi egnt,

its going really well ta,

Can alter the dosage depending on if want energy or feel calmer (low dose for energy, higher for calmer). Been using it for calming last few days, and it really works so well. Kinda spaces you out but not that much..can still concentrate on things. I find im aware of people around me but dont care as much if their there. And the energy dose certainly gets you moving!

hope it goes well for you!!
Old 21st August 2008, 19:47

Quote:
I have a couple of negative comments on this site and tbh its enough to put me off. Im only trying to offer friendly advice for anyone thats intersted and i get called a nerd. On another occasion i was accused of trying to pull the girls on here because by mistake i included my diploma certificate in a picture i put in the photo section (was accussed of trying to show im clever, hell i would have included my degree certificate if wanted that).

I probably am over-sensitive, but thats my nature, but what is the point of comments like this. especially on a website like this where people have little confidence in themselves anyway, i sure as hell have none. Really dont know if cant be bothered with this site anymore...just trying to be friendly and offer advice when i can!!
Old 21st August 2008, 20:01

Don't let a few idiots spoil things. There's many more who appreciate your input.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:01

Mood
Lucky

I wouldn't worry to much about that. We can't be sure of caughtbythefuzz's intentions...perhaps he could explain for us?? Maybe innocent we dunno..

Mate, i'm glad your on here giving advice...after all thats the spirit of this forum. We are all in it together to help each other out as we can empethise with each other and know how crappy life can be with SA.

Please dont give up on the forum you are making a valuable contribution.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:13

Mood
Lucky

oops sorry:embarass:

Are you going to try it then?
Old 21st August 2008, 20:14

Quote:
No no no's! I wasn't calling you a nerd. The smily means 'thinking' - as in thinking about whether the Rhodiola stuff and is really any good.

Soz for the misunderstanding.

hey, sorry got bit jumpy, like you say misunderstanding. Am naturally over-sensitive, guess it all part of the fun of SA. just because when i ran my mouse over the pic it said nerd :rolleyes:

Old 21st August 2008, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoan
Don't let a few idiots spoil things. There's many more who appreciate your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by egnt
I wouldn't worry to much about that. We can't be sure of caughtbythefuzz's intentions...perhaps he could explain for us?? Maybe innocent we dunno..

Mate, i'm glad your on here giving advice...after all thats the spirit of this forum. We are all in it together to help each other out as we can empethise with each other and know how crappy life can be with SA.

Please dont give up on the forum you are making a valuable contribution.
Thanks guys really means alot!! for me personally i have learnt alot from this website, i.e. i signed onto incapacity today which will allow me to get on the pathways to work scheme (which i didnt know about apart from people telling me on here). Was only thinking before what a godsend this site has been

Thanks again you two!!
Old 21st August 2008, 20:25

Quote:
That's nice of you, sorry again.
No probs!!
Old 21st August 2008, 20:26
Banned (at own request)

Mood
Innocent

hey maro,
thanks for the tip with this stuff, I've written down the name of this stuff for the future as at the moment the only social interaction I'm getting is with my dog.
Old 21st August 2008, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverain
hey maro,
thanks for the tip with this stuff, I've written down the name of this stuff for the future as at the moment the only social interaction I'm getting is with my dog.
Hi iloverain,

no probs. I find when i wake up first thing the nerves are there and i cant see myself going out all day feeling like that. Then i take some of them and literally within 20 mins i have no problem with going out..In fact it makes you want to go out, which is totally strange for me! i was thinking the other day when was on it, that its wierd as for me, it vastly reduces the social anxiety without doing anything else, like making me liek a zombie or sapping energy. its like it was designed just to target the SA.

Do want to say though that i am only reporting my experiences so in no way saying it will happen for everyone.

Oh yeh and when you take it, take it with food...takes about a week for your stomach to get used to it!
Old 21st August 2008, 20:34

An example would be that there would be noway i would have bothered to start this incapacity, pathways to work before i started taking it (mainly because of depression i guess).
Closed Thread