SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd July 2018, 21:31

Default Sitting next to strangers

Hi, I was at the cinema with my fiancee this afternoon. The cinema had reserved seating. There were 5 seats on our side of the aisle and my girlfriend sat on the second seat and I sat on the third so there were 2 seats between me and the aisle. Shortly after we sat down a guy and his girlfriend walked in. He immediately sat down beside me and his girlfriend sat on the other side beside the aisle. He obviously didn’t want his girlfriend sitting beside me. I think it was because of how I look.

Would any of you guys let your girlfriends sit beside other men (e.g. - in the cinema) or would you tend to sit beside them yourself and let your girlfriend sit on the other side?

Thanks
Old 22nd July 2018, 21:44

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Sitting next to strangers

I hope it wasn't that this guy didn't want his girlfriend sitting next to another man at the cinema because that would point towards some pretty paranoid and controlling behaviour! Especially as you were there with your partner anyway. Perhaps his girlfriend just prefers the aisle seat.

(My partner doesn't 'let' me do things, I make my own decisions.)
Old 22nd July 2018, 22:06

Mood
Blah

in my own experience my partner would sit next to the guy no matter of looks etc
Also i used to go to football matches with family & my dad/cousins would make it so i wouldnt have to sit next to a random man. And if there was ever a situation where just a couple of us sat together i found a woman would automatically sit next to me over a guy.
I dont know if its just so it feels less awkward? maybe an old fashioned protective kind of thing. Thats just how its always been in my world
Old 22nd July 2018, 22:14

Mood
Shoveit

Guy was Probably just being protective and a Little paranoid( though in this day and age you can't blame him really) , but doubt it was because of your looks.
Old 22nd July 2018, 22:23

Mood
Sneaky

i bet theres posts on here like "i was at the cinema and my leg touched the girl next to me!!! :0"

...and i probably posted some of them
Old 22nd July 2018, 22:37

I can***8217;t imagine it would have anything to do with you or how you look. I think my boyfriend would naturally do the same and sit next to the person and let me have the aisle seat but only because I***8217;m less comfortable around strangers than he is.
Old 23rd July 2018, 07:43

Ok, thanks for your opinions. My social anxiety is mainly caused by an insecurity about how I look, so I automatically assumed it was related to my looks so took it personally.