SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th March 2018, 17:39

Default Hello all

New to this site and very happy to find it! I have struggled with SA for over 30 years. Mostly I can function, hold down a job although never fit in, married and a mother, no proper friends and pretty much disassociated from family due to SA. Not diagnosed or on any medication because my doctor just does not recognize the condition or that I have it because as I say, I seem to be functioning. I’m currently in a very bad way. One year into an 18 month contract in a job and I am making very stupid mistakes. This is only very recent but it is getting worse and I am worried I may be let go. I’ve been given a chance to fix it but I am now terrified of the job and feel that this anxiety will make me mess it up. Has anyone been in this situation? Could I gain any protection by declaring the SA? Any advice or thoughts would be most welcome. Thank you, Sickavit.
Old 14th March 2018, 17:57

Default Re: Hello all

Welcome - I hope you will find many supportive people here. I can't comment specifically on the employment issue as I'm self-employed, but I'm sure others here will be able to help you, and I wish you the best of luck!
I can relate to quite a lot of what you said.
Old 14th March 2018, 19:24

Hi Limey, thanks for the reply and the welcome. It’s happened on every single job I’ve had but this one is very intense and the pressure is constant. I’m not right for it, but can’t afford to leave. Don’t think I can fake this one! But thanks again...
Old 16th March 2018, 17:43

Hi GlasgowFilmTheatreFan
Thank you for taking the time to reply! I fear the worst but maybe it will work out. Work has always been the hardest thing for me, I do wonder if I should tell them i have SA. Though that could be disastrous too!! Thank you for the welcome though***55357;***56832;
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:06

Hi Rebka
Thank you for your welcome and for your reply. It***8217;s very kind of people to respond even just to say that they can***8217;t help, it***8217;s soothing to be acknowledged I guess! I am worried that they already suspect a mental illness because of some of the things that have been said, and I fear that I rill be given the boot which will be devastating. Don***8217;t know if I should just leave but without a job? Ok I***8217;m meandering, sorry, just wanted to say thank you!
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:42

Hi Jinny

Work is torture!! Up to now I***8217;ve been able to hold onto jobs though just never fit in and was no doubt the subject of many ***8220;weird woman, she***8217;s hard work***8221; chats. This time it is just too intense, and you can***8217;t do this job without 100% focus. I never realized before how living with SA zaps your brainpower, due to constant anxiety over how other people are seeing and judging you. Never mattered before but now I know, I shouldn***8217;t have taken this job. And knowing that means I will definitely fall apart again. Can***8217;t talk to anyone because of course I didn***8217;t disclose it. This is the most worried I have ever been. This site is fantastic as everybody gets it and understands. So thank you Jinny, for reading and responding***55357;***56396;
Old 22nd March 2018, 21:11

Mood
Relaxed

Welcome to the boards!

I'm sorry your doctor doesn't recognize your SA, but I think you should see another doctor because clearly you are suffering and doctors do realise how terrible anxiety can be. Get a second opinion. Better still, change your doctor to one who can really help you. Ask a the surgery's receptionist if they know of a sympathetic doctor.
Old 27th March 2018, 15:20

Hi Arpeggio, sorry for delay in replying. I***8217;ve been trying to get through this thing at work and it really zaps the energy for doing anything. I***8217;m more hopeful now, hopefully this episode is over and now I***8217;m going to start learning to cope with the SA. Instead of ignoring it and hoping it goes away! I***8217;m seeing a counselor later this week so maybe can diagnose me. Thanks for the welcome and the help. Cheers Sickavit
Old 27th March 2018, 17:25

Mood
Cheerful

No doubt you have SA and in my case as I got older it got worse when at work. You need to find a GP who understands or is willing to let you teach them. Then you need to build up medical evidence in case you need to claim ESA in future. When applying for future jobs come out of closet and request reasonable adjustments you have a disability. Good Luck.
Old 31st March 2018, 12:49

Mood
Bashful

I would change your doctor and seriously consider medication (antidepressants).
Old 8th April 2018, 10:02

Mood
Tired

welcome to the site sickavit,
glad to hear you are more hopeful now at work, and getting help,
yes, SA zaps your brainpower somehow,. too true,
I've struggled at work too, but seem to manage / stumble along

anyways, hope coming here helps you in your recovery / management of SA