SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th December 2016, 02:10

Default Lasting effects of anti-depressants

Hi,

I was on a SSRI from Feb 2014 to July 2016. I did have a few months off it from April 15 to June/July 15.

I don't feel I need to go back on it, however, I did gain weight, more so when my dose was at its max.

I am struggling to lose it and I feel my body has 'slowed down' as a result of the meds, even though I no longer take them. I can lose weight, but I have to eat very little and exercise, whereas previously I lost weight just by adding exercise and reducing sugar. I have Googled it and there are others left with the same problem, was wondering if anyone here can relate?

Another problem is I stopped them because I had no sex drive and felt quite flat moodwise and both these persist, too. I would think it is just depression however in the past I never lost sex drive or felt flat, it was more a problem of mood fluctuation from very happy-very anxious-very sad.

Certainly not up for trying a new anti-depressant as functioning quite well.
Old 12th December 2016, 02:32

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Lasting effects of anti-depressants

Thanks for mentionaing the negative side effects of medications. You need to find out what's making your situation so awful and why you feel the way you do. Nobody should need anti-depressants if they know their situation and ways to cope and ways to get their needs met. What is it that's difficult that you;ve been given this medication for? I mean specific thoughts and feelings that go through your head rather than 'conditions' and 'disorders'.
Old 12th December 2016, 04:09

I have felt pretty ok since July, which is why I stopped the medication along with the bit about the side effects. I was prescribed it for anxiety and depression.
Old 12th December 2016, 08:02

Mood
Crappy

I came off sertraline last year after experiencing loss of sex drive and worsening panic attacks. My panic attacks subsided very quickly and my sex drive returned after a month or two. Maybe you should consider seeing a doctor about this?
Old 13th December 2016, 00:55

Hi,

I will if it continues into next year. I have also considered stress might be a factor, currently in Australia, will be applying for a partner visa year around March time. No guarantee the visa will be granted so a lot of uncertainty. The only stability in my life is my life, which I am grateful for.
Old 14th December 2016, 20:13

Mood
Bashful

Yeah I lost sex drive and couldn't get a "stiffy" a while after stopping its gone alright now though
Old 14th December 2016, 20:14

Mood
Bashful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbeam
In a rational moment I've just re-read the side-effects of my SSRI and incredulously I noted that bone fractures are a side effect! That's after an inept family GP telling me that when I'm in any 'ill' episode I get into physical accidents. I think I'll throw this one back at her in Jan and mention it to my Dad on the side during the holidays.
Yes weakening of bones isn't a side effect of all antidepressants
Old 14th December 2016, 20:25
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConverseCody
I came off sertraline last year after experiencing loss of sex drive and worsening panic attacks. My panic attacks subsided very quickly and my sex drive returned after a month or two. Maybe you should consider seeing a doctor about this?
It's funny how you mention the panic attacks, I found that mine went away when I reduced my dosage of Sertraline, my sex drive has never been diminished by antidepressants if anything I want it more
Old 14th December 2016, 20:33

Mood
Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1662
It's funny how you mention the panic attacks, I found that mine went away when I reduced my dosage of Sertraline, my sex drive has never been diminished by antidepressants if anything I want it more
I felt that sertraline generally sped me up and made my anxiety a lot worse. Also I slept far less on them than I did normally. It also seemed to cloud my mind a bit. I ended up coming off it and having to get beta blockers from the doctor as well. Yes it completely shut off things between my legs haha. But I guess thats not neccessarily a bad thing
Old 20th December 2016, 20:59

I don't think I am ever going to go back on meds.