SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th January 2017, 22:39

Mood
Tired

Default Reporting a colleague

Has anyone ever reported a colleague for not pulling their weight to management and, if so, how did it make you feel/what was the outcome?
Old 5th January 2017, 06:54

Default Re: Reporting a colleague

I supported another colleague who reported a member of her team. I had to give a statement which resulted in the reported colleague and her friends at work blanking me for a while. Made the whole working environment rather uncomfortable. In the end, there apparently wasn't enough evidence to prove what this colleague was doing and the original lady who raised her concerns had no choice but to quit. I felt the whole way it was dealt with was appalling
Old 5th January 2017, 07:22

Mood
Relaxed

The problem in our company is that the owners are unwilling to do anything as long as things are running, for example if a member of staff is an hour late opening the shop and still signs in to get paid that hour, they don't get fired, which is crazy as it's clearly theft.

I used to often bring things like this up with the owner and just general bitching about keeping incapable members of staff on (not being able to do the job you are paid to do is also theft), but I've realised they only sack people who actually steal goods or money, outside of this thry just keep anybody on regardless of how hopeless at life they are.

I've now stopped wasting my breath and on the odd occasion the owner bitches about staff, I just say 'you keep him/her on, so you must want this'.
Old 5th January 2017, 08:55

I understand that it must be extremely frustrating but in the one run it makes you life a complete misery than I don't think it's worth reporting your colleague for not pulling their weight.

I would just hope that things do not go unnoticed and eventually they get warned about their behaviour.
Old 5th January 2017, 09:54

I have. They were sacked, and it does make you feel pretty awful. It is hard but at the same time you have to keep reminding yourself it is was ultimately their own fault as they should have been doing their work.

However, it does make you aware that management do tend to know what goes on even if staff don't think they do. What they do about it is up to them, obviously
I mentioned it in a sort of casual way to the person above me so it was a private matter and if I was over reacting then there wouldn't be a fuss. Turned out they already knew what was going on but lacked the evidence to proceed with it further. My comment ended up giving them what they needed and he was shown the door half an hour later
Old 5th January 2017, 16:48

Mood
Tired

Thanks guys ***55357;***56397;***55356;***57339;. I reported a colleague to a manager the other day but then felt terrible afterwards! Although I know somebody else has also reported her. I told myself I was gonna be more assertive this year so I bit the bullet and reported her. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not though. Feel like a right grass!
Old 5th January 2017, 16:56

Mood
Bookworm

what did the person do wrong? Why not talk to the person first, and explain to them why you think their behaviour is a problem. If you feel up to it even say that you think it's a reportable problem.

I probably still wouldn't report on a colleague, and would feel like a right shit if I did.
Old 5th January 2017, 18:05

I think I would report someone who regularly was not pulling their weight. Maybe I'm just not as nice as you guys. It's very irritating when you are having to do more than you should because someone else you work with simply cannot be bothered. My view is that if you're not going to do your job properly, then you shouldn't be working said job.

I used to run myself ragged at work because my colleague would regularly turn up late, and in tears and generally do **** all throughout the day. Any work she did do was half-arsed and of poor quality.
Old 5th January 2017, 19:30

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Lily
I used to run myself ragged at work because my colleague would regularly turn up late, and in tears and generally do **** all throughout the day. Any work she did do was half-arsed and of poor quality.
This is very unfair and demotivating, especially if they are earning the same wage.
Old 5th January 2017, 19:52

Mood
Pensive

Yes I have whistleblown on someone who I suspected was abusing one of the vulnerable people we were caring for.
She was investigated and other evidence came to light that she was bullying and mistreating more than one person, including staff!
It was a really scary thing to do, as she was scary. I was told by management that it was confidential and she wouldnt be told who had reported her but it was pretty clear she knew who had gone against her. Fortunately other members of staff had reported her too!
When she got suspended I was delighted and even happier when she lost her job!
Its not an easy thing to do but if someone is deliberately not pulling their weight; is a bully or an abuser they deserve all they get as far as I'm concerned.