SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st January 2017, 14:06
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Nonverbal immediacy

I scored 66.

http://personality-testing.info/tests/NIS/

The more we make use of immediacy behaviours the more people are likely to like us,evaluate us highly and prefer communicating with us.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0scale&f=false
Old 1st January 2017, 14:45

Default Re: Nonverbal immediacy

I scored 100.
Old 1st January 2017, 15:19

Your score for nonverbal immediacy was 124. Higher scores indicate more nonverbal immediacy. The average score for men was 93.8 and the average score for women was 102.0 in a sample of college students
Old 1st January 2017, 15:45

I got 90.
Old 1st January 2017, 15:48

Mood
Relaxed

This questionnaire is weird. Is it saying we should talk in a variety of tones, while sitting close to, keeping eye contact with and touching people, interspersed with waving our arms about? This is the description of someone I would keep well away from.

My voice is monotonous or dull when I talk to people.
I use a monotone or dull voice while talking to people.
Are these not the same questions.

I avoid touching people when I talk to them, is this a joke question, I don't avoid touching people, touching people is not part of talking, the question should be to you touch people while talking to them.

I found this very badly put together, far too many assumptions, like 'are you anxious, easly upset', well yes I'm anxious, but not easy upset, so whatis the answer?

I think I'll complain.

Your score for nonverbal immediacy was 59. Higher scores indicate more nonverbal immediacy. The average score for men was 93.8 and the average score for women was 102.0 in a sample of college students (Richmond et. al., 2003).
Old 1st January 2017, 17:33
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloneuntilidie
I found those questions tough to answer because, although I've been working on non-verbal communication, I still don't know how often I do what, or whether my appraisal of my own behaviour is correct.

Anyway, I'm delighted with my 93, considering that I admitted to never touching and rarely making eye contact.

Reading through the comments after the survey, I noticed that many were suggesting there should be a score adjustment for people on the autistic spectrum and/or suffering with anxiety, but perhaps it's better not to have that, so that our scores reflect the difficulties we face?
This was posted by someone else with a poll on the Wrong planet forum.

Results so far.

40-49(5) 50-59(5) 60-69(7) 70-79(6) 100+(1)

It's kind of disturbing that you could be a decent and kind person and yet not be liked because of your nonverbal communication. I do wonder how much such communication comes naturally to the,for want of a better word,neurotypicals ,and yet for those with ASD(or similar) it doesn't come naturally.

I guess it might explain why those on the spectrum often experience peer group rejection although they may be decent and good people.
Try telling a relatively young child though that he, or she, is being ostracised because he/she struggles with nonverbal communication.

I also wonder how much scores would differ when faced with people you know and are comfortable with
Old 2nd January 2017, 00:56

Mood
Fine

Old 2nd January 2017, 11:58

Mood
Asleep

I got 83
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:15

Mood
Pensive

95 but not sure what I think of this test though.
I feel I make an effort to get on with all people, even when I dont want to, if they reciprocate by not liking me based upon poor non verbal communication well quite frankly, f*ck them!
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:06

I got 78. I have a thing about eye contact. If I make eye contact I get the distinct impression it makes people uncomfortable, as if I am trying to hypnotise them. Then, due to my credulous nature, I start thinking, maybe I am trying to place them into mesmeric trance. I start to think I am a bad person. They pick up on this due to thought broadcasting. Within seconds a normal conversation has turned into a chat with the Gestapo, with none of us quite sure who the SS officer is in this situation. Seconds later the Gestapo gives way to a leery manner of demon, whose toungue unfurls and who sprouts horns, dislodging the peaked cap. No wonder I tend to avoid people. Who needs that sort of psychic tennis?

Apart from that I got a hundred.
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:15

I got 83.

I think my voice is pretty monotoned with people I don't know and situations I'm not relaxed with, but I'm very animated when I'm relaxed. So my answers were a bit mixed. I tried to average things out between the different situations.
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:41

Mood
Lonely

"Nonverbal Immediacy is a term used to describe the behaviours used to signal positive feelings towards another person."

I scored 58 No wonder people don't like me lol, I haven't a clue.
Old 4th January 2017, 01:14

Mood
Lurking

Don't know it that's good or bad as I haven't read anything about the test yet.

EDIT: Just read the info about the test. I think my training in counselling cost me a few points there.
I tend not to use touch so much due to the personal boundaries aspect in counselling and how touch can sometimes be (mis)interpreted.
Old 4th January 2017, 02:19

Mood
Tired

Scored 90

The
'I look away from others' bit, and 'I move away when people touch me when I'm talking to them', why isn't there an 'it depends' option?

Regarding frowning, avoiding eye contact and having tense body language, there's not options to elaborate on situations when that's more or less true.

RE 'I am animated when I talk to people', if it's a passionate note, then absolutely.

RE I am stiff when I talk to people', it depends how exposed I feel and how much I feel people are looking at me and what other stress factors are present. Jeez this test is dumb.

RE 'I smile when talking to people'
Mainly because I think of how it would feel to have someone smiling and me and because I fear making a bad impression.

RE 'I avoid touching people when I talk to them'. Reason is the fear of making them creeped-out.

It did say that it was for educational purposes.
Old 4th January 2017, 09:02

Mood
Fine

58. I always think I am doing well until it comes to these tests

I avoid touching, which promised to fix. I avoid eye contact still though. I promise to start making more eye contact starrrtttttyyiiiiinnnnnggggggg now!
Old 10th January 2017, 22:17

Mood
Bored

47. Is that bad?