SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th October 2017, 11:13

Default Repeating anxiety

I’m 28 and had SA since my early teens, although I only actually learnt what SA is about 3-4 years ago. I’ve done CBT on NHS and it has helped me a lot. In the past it took me weeks of working myself up to do something as simple as going to the barbers or clothes shopping, but now I’m able to manage my anxiety, for the most part, in those situations. However, I’m still struggling with “bigger” tasks like speaking in a group or applying for jobs which cause me a lot of anxiety in the moment but more importantly that anxiety comes back again and again, dozens (sometimes hundreds) of times over the following days and often the anxiety afterwards is far stronger than in the original moment.

I’ve always avoided medications but I’m now considering them. If anyone has any advice on any particular medications or perhaps even other methods for dealing with this kind of “repeating anxiety” (is there a proper name?) I would be very grateful for any help.
Old 11th October 2017, 20:40

Default Re: Repeating anxiety

It's good that the CBT worked well for you and that you can cope with more social situations now.

Situations like speaking in public or interviews would probably get easier the more often you do them. Could you maybe join a speakers club? Do you know anyone you could practise interview situations with? Maybe even apply for a few jobs you don't want, just for the practice? There is a great sticky thread about public speaking from Black Mamba at the top of the Social Anxiety Room.

If you decide on medication you would need to talk to your GP about the pros and cons of different drugs. When you tell him/her about the anxiety you can explain how the feeling keeps coming back afterwards. Perhaps counselling would help with that, or maybe if you start to find ways of reducing the initial anxiety, those after-effects will gradually fade.

Personally I find slow release propranolol very helpful, it doesn't eliminate the anxiety but takes away some of the more embarrassing symptoms like shaking. Mindfulness and meditation can be helpful in giving you a bit of perspective.

Hope this is some help.
Old 12th October 2017, 12:28

Thanks for the advice.
I think your right about finding ways to expose myself to an interview scenario, I'm going to see what I can arrange. I'm also seeing my GP on Monday to discuss medication options and I'll bare in mind what you said.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
Old 12th October 2017, 12:51

I hope you get on OK, keep posting!
Old 12th October 2017, 20:18

Mood
Daring

Just wanted to say that, like Aelwyn, I too have had positive experiences on Propranolol. If I were you I'd avoid Benzos like the plague as they tend to be highly addictive and cause all sorts of damage, including actual physical damage to the brain. I know so because I've seen what those sort of drugs did to a close family member of mine after she suffered a relationship breakup.

Personally I avoid drugs and rely heavily on mindfulness, which I find to be very helpful. It requires a lot of work though.