Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th August 2013, 00:50
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Default What did you do before the internet?

I'm 32. I first got the internet 13 years ago. I've always had insomnia and depression/SA etc and often spent many lonely nights and days before the internet either talking to myself (I used to make up stories) or watch the same things on vhs over and over. Sometimes just tv. 24hr tv wasn't up to much then. BBC went off at 1am and ch4 and itv had crap on all night.

So, what did you do before the internet?
Old 19th August 2013, 01:08

Default Re: What did you do before the internet?

Watch shite telly like Eurotrash or manga (a rare treat!) on late night Channel 4. Read books. Play video games. Draw things. Listen to my walkman under the duvet.

Sometimes, god forbid, surf Ceefax!
Old 19th August 2013, 01:11

Before I had the internet I was a child. Now I am an unhappy, solitary middle-aged man. Clearly the internet has aged and destroyed me.
Old 19th August 2013, 01:23
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
Watch shite telly like Eurotrash or manga (a rare treat!) on late night Channel 4. Read books. Play video games. Draw things. Listen to my walkman under the duvet.

blimey, that all sounds very familiar!

I can remember reading the letters pages on Ceefax and the quiz on teletext/oracle.
Old 19th August 2013, 02:54

exercise, bike rides, swimming, play sports. the internet has kinda made me lazy and unhealthy cos i mostly sit on my bum now.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:04

I first got the internet at home 4 years ago, so I went through most of my teenage years without the internet, when literally everyone else my age had it. I'd play games, I still play them like there's no tomorrow, but I find that I play them a lot less now. Most of the reason I played them so much was because I wanted to, but part of the reason was also that there simply was nothing else to do, which wasn't a problem until I realized how amazing the internet is.

Quote:

I remember both of those things. Boredom drives people to weird things.
Old 19th August 2013, 10:09

Watch TV mostly I think.
Actually, now I think about it I used to get out for quite a few evenings then, things like squash, badminton and ice skating. I really ought to do a bit more like that again.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:06
Global Moderator

I watched loads of the old British crime b-movies they used to show on tv, rent horror vids from blockbuster and drank heavily
Old 19th August 2013, 11:10

I used to do more things before the internet.Watching tv, reading, listening to music, playing musical instruments, playing games.I'm an indoors type, but I'd also do some cycling and I've always loved ball games so even into my twenties I'd find a wall to play with where nobody could see me, I'd still be doing it now if I could.Playing ball against a wall seems to be socially unacceptable beyond the age of about ten.
My old dog used to love the ball against the wall game.She was extremely quick and it was fast enough to be a challenge for her as well as for me.If she couldn't get the ball for a few minutes she'd get so frustrated that she'd literally stamp her feet.When she finally made an interception her pride and joy was unmistakable.Happy days.
Old 19th August 2013, 11:39
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboo
Masturbated furiously using my imagination or 'inspiration' from TV, a magazine or catalogue. (Sorry)
Old 19th August 2013, 13:54

As a kid - was quite social, went to brownies, ballet, tap and swimming lessons. Watched a lot of tv as well

As a teenager - watched TV 90% of the time (but then tv was soo good back in the 90s ), went swimming, roller blading (was quite popular back in the 90s...they even had a rollerskating rink in the park), read trashy teen magazines and went on cycle rides. If I was really bored, I used to read my mums slimming magazines haha

Ps just remembered - Ceefax and teletext were a god send if you were bored back in the day :-) I could spend hours reading about pointless stuff, check flight times, look at the weather etc. I was really into the soaps when I was a teenager so would read all the soap magazines and all the reviews/previews on teletext/ceefax
Old 19th August 2013, 14:13
Banned at own request

I had internet since 06/07

At first I use to use YA! a lot

Before the net my family was more social but I didn't go out much. I drew and watched TV from what I can remember. But I use to have a few friends I played with, especially during the holidays. I cant remember pre net times much.
Old 19th August 2013, 14:15
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Ps just remembered - Ceefax and teletext were a god send if you were bored back in the day :-) I could spend hours reading about pointless stuff, check flight times, look at the weather etc. I was really into the soaps when I was a teenager so would read all the soap magazines and all the reviews/previews on teletext/ceefax
I wonder if teletext played music, Im sure it played unknown songs
Old 19th August 2013, 14:16
Banned at own request

Quote:
^To be fair I spend a lot of time online now, easily as much as I used to spend watching telly, and it's not always productive. The SAUK Basement is my favourite soap (although it's not as dramatic as it used to be).
Yeah, nowadays ppl be moaning the internet is unproductive but back in 2000, watching too much tv was seen as lazy and unproductive.
Old 19th August 2013, 14:22
Banned at own request

I wonder how the internet affects our mental state, I'm sure being connected, especially to social media, probably affects our mental state abit.
Just imagine how different it feels to not have daily internet youtube, fb or SAUK, I'm sure it would especially affect how socially isolated or introverted people see the world.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:10

Late night TV, anyone remember haunted fishtank, BPM, that student cookery program Get stuffed and In bed with medinner.

Lol at ceefax, teletext was much better, bamboozle ftw!

Seriously though I used to read computer magazines, I would cycle 6 miles in the cold and rain just to get particular publications, fun times.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:24

I remember Get Stuffed! Oh god you reminded me of The Word! I still have nightmares of a bloke being forced to eat a pube sandwich.

I thought Ceefax was the same as Teletex?
Old 19th August 2013, 15:34

Quote:
I don't think he was forced, if I remember correctly it was part of the 'I'd Do Anything To Get On TV' segment? He ate his own pubes on a cracker I think. I also remember some lad having a disgustingly awkward snog with an elderly lady. I'm cringing now just thinking about it.
Eww that's put me right off my food thanks.

Hmm I wonder where pube eating man and OAP snogging man are now. We should do a follow-up documentary.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:42

Trying my best to not think about the current topic

Before the internet I was more isolated and it was much harder to find out things,silly things. Like when you wake up at 3am wondering "who was the bloke who played thingy in that episode of >insert obscure crappy TV show here< ???". Maybe that`s just me,but it is an amazingly useful tool that I`d be lost without now (not just for random nocturnal trivia).
Old 19th August 2013, 15:44

Watch TV, read, listen to music, play video games, play guitar.

I actually found it easier to keep myself entertained before I had a social life than I do now for some reason. I think I was so used to being a recluse that I just didn't think about it unless I was in a bad spell of depression.
Old 19th August 2013, 15:53

Quote:
Haha yeah 'Things People Did Before The Internet', definitely sounds like an award-winning documentary in the making. Pube eating man can be on the cover of the DVD.

I like your thinking! Already thinking ahead I see....any thoughts to the soundtrack? Maybe some nonchalant 90s indie rock?
Old 19th August 2013, 16:51
Banned at own request

Quote:
I remember Get Stuffed! Oh god you reminded me of The Word! I still have nightmares of a bloke being forced to eat a pube sandwich.
I thought Ceefax was the same as Teletex?
Mixed with cream I suppose
Old 19th August 2013, 17:00

I'm pretty sure it was just fresh pubes on white bread. No mayo (hehe). I must go find the clip now!

Ahahaha! Don't look if squeamish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1vFZyVskso
Old 19th August 2013, 17:11

^I don't want to watch it, don't make me! I saw a similar show one time, one guy had to do something so gross that I almost threw up from seeing it, and I never throw up from stuff I see on TV. Needless to say, I don't want to describe it.
Old 19th August 2013, 17:21

Mood
Balanced

For me it was the radio and the best radio station for through the night was and still is LBC radio.
Old 19th August 2013, 17:46
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by les
For me it was the radio and the best radio station for through the night was and still is LBC radio.
Nick Aboot
Old 24th August 2013, 00:47

Mood
Sad

Read books (hid naughty ones under mattress), watch TV, play a game called pocket scramble and ride my bike.
Old 24th August 2013, 06:22

I think I was 19 when I first got the internet so before that I was out with college friends going to pubs,clubs,go karting,ice skating,laser quest,cinema,theatre and when I wasn't doing any of that I was probably working one of my part time jobs in a restaurant/pub/video shop or at college where I was meant to be studying but was probably with my friends or boyfriend. I think I had more of a social life before the internet.
Old 13th September 2013, 19:58

Mood
Creative

Prior to the internet, I used to penpal with people from all over the world and along the way, made some friendships, which was fantastic. In some senses, I wish I could bring those days back and discover new people who enjoy handwritten letters but online it appears to be harder. Both with finding penpals who'll keep up the exchange (or even write back) or connecting with other females generally.
Old 14th October 2013, 10:17

I got the Internet around 1998 (dial-up connection on my Amiga). Before that I was playing Amiga games (and C64, etc. before that), reading computer mags, watching TV (The Word, as mentioned above, was one of many). Lots of Science Fiction TV and Films. Playing with friends (I remember playing things like Heroquest quite a bit).