Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th June 2006, 23:41

Mood
Sleepy

Default Ordering from Amazon - be very careful

I just ordered a webcam from Amazon for £36. The postage was free so I thought "hey, what the hell - might as well get a few other things as well". So I got a couple of bluetooth adapters for £3.55 each, a 4 port USB hub for £3.72 and a 1GB flash drive for £17.99. When I'd ordered this stuff I then get an email saying it will come in three parts and I have to pay £9.00 postage on one and £4.50 postage on another. I'd never in a million years have ordered the stuff if I've known I was going to get whacked for £13.50 . I would have bought everything from Misco and the postage would only have been about a fiver.
£9 postage for a couple of things the size of my thumb. They don't make that clear at Amazon. I deliberately chose to get the stuff in five days (rather than immediately) so I wasn't paying the postage charges. F**king ripoff merchants. Last time I buy stuff from them.

Last edited by Intro Guy; 28th June 2006 at 21:44. Reason: Swearing
Old 27th June 2006, 23:48
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Ordering from Amazon - be very careful

They've started to have the lowest price showed instead of the price from amazon. The trick is to find the one that says "our price" and not just "price". Did you do the one click thing? I've never done that, but the other way it shows you the postage before you commit to paying.

ren
Old 27th June 2006, 23:54

Mood
Sleepy

I thought I was buying everything from Amazon because I ordered it on their website. It turns out I am buying the stuff from two other different people as well as Amazon. They don't make that clear.
Old 28th June 2006, 00:06

Mood
Spooky

You have to keep an eye on the writing above "add to basket" when picking the item, it will either say amazon, or <insert company name>.

And I agree, it is not made clear enough.
Old 28th June 2006, 00:36

Mood
Sleepy

UPDATE :
In order to prove how much a rip-off this was for the two bluetooth things I have chopped off my thumbs and put them in an envelope. No - I'm not that stupid. Of course I didn't put them straight inside the envelope. The blood would seep out. So I put them inside a bag you use for coins at the bank. I'll go to the post office tomorrow and see just how much the postage will be. Then I'm posting them to Amazon.
Old 28th June 2006, 00:50

Just to offer another view, i have used amazon a lot to order books, dvds and games and have never had any problems at all. So long as you read everything carefully, i would recommend the site to anyone. I have not used the amazon marketplace featutre though, i just stick to buying off amazon.
*Im not saying that anyone else is wrong, just wanted to give another point of view*
Old 28th June 2006, 01:16

Mood
Sleepy

I didn't know I was ordering from someone else until I got the email. I assumed that because I was searching via Amazon it was them I was buying from. I have saw the second hand links on items - but I've never bothered with that. the point I am making is they do noit make it clear enough you are buying from a third party until it is too late. Of course if I went back and scrutinised everything then it probably is labeled in the small print. But something as important as this should be in bold print so you can't miss it.
Old 28th June 2006, 01:32

I have only used Amazon for books (& always bought from marketplace cos it's always been cheaper) but when you click on the item it shows 'used and new' then a listing of the items and price. It then does show 'Seller info' which says per item if it's ABC Merchants or Amazon.co.uk, where they're located, customer ratings etc b4 u select which one you're going for.

Then when I've bought books it goes to a page which shows cost, P&P separately then total. Maybe it works differently for non-books, I dunno but it's worked ok except an item from the States that's taking ages 2 get here at the moment..
Old 28th June 2006, 02:31

Mood
Blah

www.play.com > amazon
Old 28th June 2006, 03:03

Mood
Notamused

£9.00 postage!!! ****

Computer gear I usually get from ebuyer, the postage isn't too bad.
DVD's and Games from Play.com (which most of the time is cheaper and doesn't charge postage), sometimes CDWOW who can post all the way from Hong Kong without charging postage.

Amazon is overpriced on top of which you pay postage. I hope people stop buying from them in droves so they rethink their pricing and postage policy.
Closed Thread