SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th December 2017, 02:38

Mood
Tired

Default Imagine kareoke nights where yu can play along?

If any of you have been to a kareoke, you'll notice that there is a screen displaying the lyrics of a song in time with th music.

Now, I've had an idea, what about fusing the format of folk sessions with the format kareoke? Have the screens and guidance of kareoke with the instruments of folk sessions? You know how people can sing along, what about a setting where people can play along as well?

The thing I like about folk sessions is that if it's someone's turn, and the other people with instruments know the song, they'll start strumming along with the chords. People join in with kareoke, but with the voices only. Imagine a night where people can not only sing along, but play along too. A hybrid between a kareoke and folk session.

Could you imagine somewhere that allows people to turn up with their instruments, that displays chords on a screen, where people can sit at the tables with their guitars, accordions, penny whistles and fiddles and can join in if they know the song?

The thing about anything where people accompany you is that you feel more at ease performing, both in folk sessions and kareoke; JOINING IN. The great thing about folk sessions is that when someone does a song that a lot of people know, and that others join in, it makes the lead performer feel more at ease, and everyone enjoys the song more. The thing about folk sessions is that it's not just singing along, there's the option to play along too. Imagine a kareoke session where you can play along as well as sing along?

The other great thing about the folk sessions, in common with kareoke, is that no-one feel it's a competition. There are people of all musical abilities.

I don't know what the rationale is against such an idea. People who want music to be something to one-up people over rather than something for everyone to participate in?

I'll post this idea on many other forums, but would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:41

Default Re: Imagine kareoke nights where yu can play along?

I can imagine it might sound a bit like that bit in The Beatles 'A Day in the Life'. But in folk music nights, it sounds like music is more of a group thing, rather than 'now is my chance to do my star turn' as with pop kareoke. Nowt wrong with either I suppose, but the latter is for extroverts, experts and children.