SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st April 2018, 21:42

Mood
Lurking

Default Anxiety about eating in front of someone.

I went out for lunch yesterday with someone who I don't know very well. I ordered a wrap which was full of soft things like humous and avocado and I found myself feeling really awkward about eating it as she was talking to me and looking at me and I was aware it was going all over my mouth and chin.

Does anyone else have a problem with eating in front of someone you don't know too well?

I was making such a mess and ended up trying to put my hand over my mouth as I was eating, and it seemed like each time I took a bite, she would ask me something and wait for my reply whilst looking at me and I had to make 'mmmm' noises and point at my mouth. She only ate a little of her food so was finished long before me. Maybe something to eat using a fork would have been easier, but I just couldn't bite this damn thing without the contents squirting out everywhere. I was pretty hungry too, but in the end just left most of it from embarrassment.

Thank god I didn't order spaghetti.
Old 1st April 2018, 21:53

Default Re: Anxiety about eating in front of someone.

I've always been incredibly anxious about eating in front of others, which has only begun to change since I've been going for meals with meetup (although it's still embarrassing when people comment on how much food I eat, especially at something like an all-you-can-eat buffet).

If I were anywhere alone, for instance on holiday, I would have to get a takeaway and eat it in my hire car or take it back to the hotel (or if that isn't possible, eat it whilst walking along the street or find a secluded bench); it's only in the very recent past that I've been able to eat alone in public. It doesn't help that I am a messy eater and almost always get food on my clothes (at least indoors I can eat naked!).
Old 2nd April 2018, 07:41

Yes.
Old 2nd April 2018, 08:59

It doesn't really bother me eating in front of others.
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:16

Yes this has been a problem for me. It's not the actual eating process that embarrasses me, it's my shaky hands!
Old 2nd April 2018, 13:39

Yes this is a big problem for me. Fear of people seeing my hands shaking when eating/drinking in public was the start of my problems... This got a lot better when I regularly ate lunch at work with a good friend, but unfortunately have relapsed after she left. Strangely I can eat at my desk OK, but eating at a table and chatting now terrifies me!!
Old 2nd April 2018, 13:49

If I'm anxious around someone usually my throats gets tight so eating is very difficult. I'll eat little bites and not finish my food. So the anxiety exists before the worry about eating. This happens at every staff meeting I go to.
When I'm comfortable with someone I'll eat loads and have sauce all over my face and not care.
Old 2nd April 2018, 13:56
Banned

I am quite anxious eating with people I don't know.
I remember first eating at my fella's parents , I was really nervous, was almost shaking.
But now I've done a few times it's gets easier.
I think what you eat helps too, nothing with sauces or tough meat you have to cut with peas flying everywhere lol
Old 2nd April 2018, 19:09

Mood
Lurking

Yes I get nervous eating in front of strangers. I really hate those self service buffets, or carrying a tray through the restaurant. I feel that every one is looking at me.
Old 2nd April 2018, 21:29

Mood
Bashful

Always stare at a woman when she***8217;s eating a banana it puts them right off
Old 2nd April 2018, 22:12
Banned

^ I find it really difficult licking an ice cream in public