SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th June 2018, 21:54

Mood
Lurking

Default Someone at work blanking me

There's a woman who works one day a week where I work. I've noticed that it's always me that says hello to her or initiates a brief conversation. I thought I'd leave it to her to see if she'd speak to me when I saw her at the photocopier the other day. She didn't say anything and I ended up saying hi as I walked past. She made it clear she didn't want to have a conversation as she just said hi back then looked away. I saw her again today and she just looked through me. Should I just not bother saying hello again to her? It's a small place I work in and I don't want a bad atmosphere. She's really loud and chatty to everyone else. I can't figure it out at all.
Old 19th June 2018, 22:07

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Someone at work blanking me

You should try my work, you say hello to people and many of them blank you,
People often have things on their mind so I wouldn't give it much thought,
People can have lots going on and won't always be available for chatting,
I'm sure it's not personal,
I have a few people who always blank me, but you know what? It's their loss
You can only be who you are, if people dont want to speak, you can't force them,
But you haven't done anything wrong, and it sounds like you still have most people talking to you, that's more than a lot of people have, so you must be doing something right and get on with the majority
So it sounds like it's more of this person just being a bit different, maybe because they only work 1 day a week they're coming from a different perspective and don't see you the way the other full-time staff do?
Old 19th June 2018, 22:21

Mood
Lurking

[QUOTE=vaxjo;2389024]I find it strange thst people on an SA site complain about being blanked. Maybe their just shy/sicially anxious!!!

Being blanked makes my SA worse as it makes me feel like I must be odd or too weird for this person to want to say hello to me. She's definitely not socially anxious as I hear her talk and laugh almost nonstop with the others. It shouldn't bother me, but it does.
Old 20th June 2018, 11:47

Mood
Lurking

Jinny I think you've probably hit the nail on the head, ha ha!

Thousandmiles, the only reason that I can think of (and it's a pathetic one at that) is that before I worked there, she was the only female with a load of guys and she is very flirtatious from what I overheard once when my door was open. Maybe she sees me as some sort of threat, even though she knows I'm married and wouldn't touch any of the guys at work with a bargepole. How sad if that is the reason.....
Old 20th June 2018, 19:49

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxjo
I once sat next to guy for two years and we never spoke to each other., and there was another guy I sat next to who would only communicate through emails.
SAUK headquarters?
Old 24th June 2018, 20:37

Mood
Creative

I hear you on this and I've experienced similar in past workplaces. And usually these people are always so social with everyone else.
Old 27th June 2018, 20:03

Mood
Sad

I've experienced the same in various places I've worked. I wish I could offer some constructive advice but I'm struggling with this myself. Just ignoring them is easier said than done.