SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st April 2020, 19:44

Default Re: How is everyone holding up?

to everyone who needs them!

This situation is not causing my issues but it's definitely not helping,the nightmares and waking up in a panic attack are back,fun times
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:50

If anyone is particularly bored and wants my eternal thankfulness, I'm looking for volunteers to pilot a study I've put together that I'll be running soon for ma course. Your responses to the items won't be used - I just need to get an idea of the time it takes people to complete (you don't need to time it yourself - it's recorded automatically) and get some more eyes on the text for typos etc.

It should take about 20 minutes, so if you're interested, see the link below. If you spot anything odd or don't understand something make a note and let me know. It's best done on desktop or on a tablet turned on its side - it just makes the response options easier to view and select.

(I think this is alright for me to post, mods, as it's not actual research.)
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:12

Blissfully happy at how quiet everywhere now is. I went for a jog yesterday evening and barely saw a car. This lockdown makes you realise how insanely overcrowded and noisy our world has become. I felt so much calmer not having cars constantly zooming past me. When things return to normal, we are going to find it overwhelming.
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
Blissfully happy at how quiet everywhere now is. I went for a jog yesterday evening and barely saw a car. This lockdown makes you realise how insanely overcrowded and noisy our world has become. I felt so much calmer not having cars constantly zooming past me. When things return to normal, we are going to find it overwhelming.
Yeah I've noticed this...the world has become so quiet, and it's quite calming, especially given the reduction in road traffic and the noise and pollution that comes with it. I have noticed more people out and about in the local countryside however, and trying to maintain a 2m distance has been occasionally difficult! It will definitely be strange when we do get back to normal.
Old 2nd April 2020, 18:25

Ok I know there are already a lot of deaths, but it will keep growing exponentially, unless we contimue to do the social distancing. The numbers will eventually start to decrease again. We can expect between 20k deaths this year in the UK. The death rate appears to eventually slow down, which is good, because obviously if it keeps growing exponentially it will eventually kill everyone, but from looking at Italy, it seems that it starts to decrease once peoples immune systems have a chance to fight the infection quicker than it can infect new people.

Most of the deaths will be concentrated over the next 3-4 weeks, but it will improve. If we don't have a vaccine by next year, we could have another season, like the flu, but hopefully not.
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:35

Mood
Musical

Well its finally happened i've been furloughed from work for three weeks and maybe more weeks from today so things are going to be alot different for me in the coming weeks as i can't work from home... i'm going to draw up a routine of things to do each day and hopefully stick to it... gonna go for a run first thing to keep active.. i've already started this yesturday just gonna go round the block at first its only a mile so not to far and just to build up to a bigger route when i'm comfortable in doing so... gotta lot of stuff to do round the house n sort things out that i don't need any longer.. also got stuff to do in the garden so hopefully won't get bored but but but i need to keep motivated to do these things and sometimes that hard to do!
Old 14th April 2020, 22:46
Banned

hardly any jet trails in the sky.
Old 16th April 2020, 13:43

Mood
Cynical

Nanuq, I hope you feel better soon
Old 16th April 2020, 17:01

My son is the only thing keeping me afloat.
Old 16th April 2020, 21:21
Banned

muted - pm'd x.

the rate of confirmed cases looks like this (bbc stats)
the red is Hampshire, the blue is where I am (about half total population of Hampshire). for perspective, the rate compared to the population is about 0.15%

we also did the clapping for the NHS at 8pm, which is apparently just as good substitute for paying them properly and giving them the right kit
Old 16th April 2020, 21:42

^Exactly the point I make when my mum complains that I'm not doing it. It does absolutely nothing to help the situation. Not that I'm criticising the people who are taking part. We're all feeling helpless right now and if clapping outside your front door makes you feel better then carry on.
Old 16th April 2020, 22:07
Banned

I have to say the first time it happened, it did give a sort of sense of 'community'. probably because it had never been done before. someone on chat pointed out, he thought it was kind of patronising, and they'd much rather have....."the equipment and £the-stuff for doing the job"....after a couple of days I found myself agreeing with him. I had a think about whether the clapping was "helping" the NHS, or 'helping' the people doing it at their front doors.

continuing to do it is sort of starting to feel like an obligation. I actually didnt know it was happening today before my dad said at 7:58 with "its that time of the week again". if I was an NHS worker....? part of me would be hoping that people didn't think they were "paying their dues" just by clapping. clapping is basically the equivalent of "thoughts and prayers". #clapforboris? you know where you can put that.

Matt Hancock said a few days ago "now is not the time to think about pay rises for NHS". after he said that.....my view of him is "you can f&ck right off mate----yes, it is". if I was an NHS worker, and someone told me I'd be getting a pay rise in 2 weeks time but no clapping, I'm sure I would be thinking "I dont have a massive problem with that".
Old 16th April 2020, 22:16
Banned

I'm sure the clapping is appreciated as part of a bigger plan, like staying indoors and a pay rise and PPE they won't say stop....even if they think it. if I was them, I would think "clapping is not a substitute for other things"
Old 16th April 2020, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ As far as it seems, they are very appreciative and touched by it. If people who work for the NHS say they don't like it then I will stop.
Old 16th April 2020, 23:23

I don't do the clapping because I hate stuff like that. It feels very silly and mawkish to me. I'd rather just show my appreciation by never voting for a party that is actively trying to destroy it as a service. The chances are a lot of those clapping have.

I know two people who work for the NHS and they don't participate in the clapping either. One has been having to make PPE visors seven days a week for the last month instead of doing his usual job because they can't get anything delivered (apparently they got several thousand this week from Rolls Royce and a local school and they were all unsuitable for use). He says the clapping makes him feel very uncomfortable.
Old 16th April 2020, 23:25

Mood
Alienated

I haven't done the clapping, as it would mean standing outside with the next-door neighbours who we've had a big falling out with (I like the other neighbours though).

I think the clapping is great, and it's probably great and moral-boosting for NHS workers to hear. It's good people are doing it.

I do wonder if the neighbours in my typically suburban area think I'm a dick now though - but I don't want to start clapping just to 'keep up with the Joneses'.
Old 16th April 2020, 23:46

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutedsoul
He seems heartless to me. I heard he confronted care workers asking about getting more PPE. I understand e is stressed but these people are fearing for there lives if worst comes to worst.

Apparently they are less entitled to it as they are ran privately or something. But then again this is an emergency. I think all key workers deserve adequate PPE. It's a pity that the world doesn't work that way though.
He's been awful, he tried to say that NHS staff were overusing PPE when it's been clear to everyone that they haven't had nearly enough to go round I don't know how someone can be so heartless in this situation, particularly the person who's supposed to be in charge of the NHS response.
Old 17th April 2020, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
I don't do the clapping because I hate stuff like that. It feels very silly and mawkish to me. I'd rather just show my appreciation by never voting for a party that is actively trying to destroy it as a service. The chances are a lot of those clapping have.

I know two people who work for the NHS and they don't participate in the clapping either. One has been having to make PPE visors seven days a week for the last month instead of doing his usual job because they can't get anything delivered (apparently they got several thousand this week from Rolls Royce and a local school and they were all unsuitable for use). He says the clapping makes him feel very uncomfortable.
That's interesting. I did wonder about the amount of PPE donations and their suitability for the NHS.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way about the clapping too.
Old 17th April 2020, 00:34

^^^^^^^^^^
Biscuits!

^^^^^
Rocket Spud!

It's that time I'm afraid. I finally gave in to HH's logic! God knows I tried my best to overcome it all! So it is with a heavy heart that I give my rubber chicken to Spud and my fluffy feather duster to biscuit! Oh and please give genovese my juggling balls. I know he's had his eyes on them for quite a while now!

Anyway, cheerio my friends!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^

HH, My Lord! Please be gentle with me!

Disclaimer:
Abstract, that's the best way of looking at this post
Old 17th April 2020, 11:47

Getting bored of all this now. Got an update email from work that gives the impression that we’ll be back at work in about three weeks so hopefully we will.
Old 17th April 2020, 13:02

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
An timely example of how to stop viral spread. Stand around in close knit groups and try to squash it between your hands. Of course, you won't catch anything yourself, because you've managed to find that old dust mask you used a decade ago when decorating the bathroom. And as long as you stay somewhat 2 metres apart (ack, that'll do) you'll be fine. Everyone knows viruses give up the game and fall to the floor with a whimper of defeat at the (somewhat, there abouts, that'll do) two metre mark. It's encoded, in their RNA.

See this is the thing, people are supposed to be on their own doorstep or at their window, not all out in the street!
Old 17th April 2020, 13:17

Mood
Alienated

^ unbelievably, the police had a mass gathering on Westminster Bridge in London last night, with members of the public gathering too, to clap for the NHS. So the police have set a bad example. It’s also showing the world how ‘seriously’ we are taking this. It’s embarrassing.
Old 17th April 2020, 13:32

I feel a bit useless at the moment, I need to kick up the bum to sort myself out and be a better daughter.
Old 17th April 2020, 14:12

A bit crap. Just saw people arguing at the supermarket over nothing much. Everything just seems to have an extra dash of tension. I need to let go of it.
Old 17th April 2020, 14:44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks
^ unbelievably, the police had a mass gathering on Westminster Bridge in London last night, with members of the public gathering too, to clap for the NHS. So the police have set a bad example. It’s also showing the world how ‘seriously’ we are taking this. It’s embarrassing.
it is actually well known knowledge that a policeman's hat is a barrier to infection
Old 17th April 2020, 15:01

Mood
Cynical

^ Isn't there an old law that a pregnant woman is allowed to wee in a policeman's hat if she can't find a toilet
Old 19th April 2020, 16:06

Despite the lockdown, the traffic in my area is murder.

Old 3rd May 2020, 13:11
Banned

lol Jam

lockdown tip . don't use hand sanitiser gel just before putting on disposable gloves. the gel leaves a residue (it's meant to?) but that makes your hands sticky, you'll rip the gloves
Old 7th May 2020, 02:55

I haven't been awake long and I keep worrying about the health of my parents, and if they will just pass away suddenly in the night and I should've helped. I hear a very loud yawn and I think I hope everything is okay.

Anxiety is horrible
Old 7th May 2020, 03:56

^ I think it's quite normal to be worrying excessively about the health of your parents amidst a Pandemic that has predominantly affected older people. However, it's incredibly rare for people to suddenly stop breathing in their sleep if they haven't shown any serious symptoms of illness beforehand. For the past couple of months the threat of catching the virus has taken over our lives and it's natural for your anxiety levels to be very high. But, in time, things will start getting back to normal, newbs, and I'm sure you, your mum and dad will be just fine x