SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 5th October 2007, 20:17

Default Prozac

Result!! I got prescribed Prozac today. I just hope it works. He's put me on 20mg even though I practically begged him for the highest dose and said that the placebo effect wouldn't even work on me cos I didn't think 20mg would do anything! Eventually I relented though when he said most folk start off on 20mg.

Anyway, I'm pleased. I haven't tried this before so fingers crossed.

I dunno if this belongs here or not - it's just good news.
Old 5th October 2007, 20:20

Mood
Sneaky

Default Re: Prozac

lol, what can i say? enjoy!

hope it goes well for you. i'm finally starting to see that there might actually be a purpose for being on the citalopram i am on.

will you feel weird at first when you take em? did they say?
Old 5th October 2007, 20:21
Deepest Blue

Starla
Old 5th October 2007, 20:25

I feel stupid now for posting in this section, mind you, you could congratulate me on my perseverance. Oh and on my skill and manipulation for the way I casually dropped the word 'prozac' into the conversation so the psych thought it was all his idea...ha HA!

Aye he said there'd be special effects or something....but I never get these so I should be cool.

Wooooooooo!!!
Old 5th October 2007, 20:34
Deepest Blue

Don't say that ! If it's something you've been wanting then that's great for you ! We are just sharing in your joy !
Old 5th October 2007, 23:25

Mood
Pensive

I really hope it makes a difference *Starla*!
Old 6th October 2007, 13:53

Mood
Cool

Good news then, anti depressents are probably all that's keeping me from self harming at the moment so they should help take the edge off for you too.
Old 7th October 2007, 16:42

Hi Starla, hope the Prozac helps. My friend swears by it.
Old 7th October 2007, 18:13

Hope it works for you I was on prozac for a while and it did help me but for some stupid reason i just stopped taking it
Cant remember what dose it was though. Well, good luck
Old 7th October 2007, 19:48

thanks everyone for your replies
Old 9th October 2007, 02:09

Can prozac make you have problems getting to sleep because I've been lying in the dark over an hour and still nada.
Old 9th October 2007, 11:02

I am so glad you have made a post like this!, I tried 'citalopram' twice and it did nothing but make me go crazy!, seriously if that med disagrees with you stop taking it (after giving it a few weeks to settle the initial side effects of course!).

Anyway, back onto prozac,

I am feeling so low lately, and recent events in my care have made things worse, I do believe I may need an anti-depressant, as I am unable to shake the low points I experience and they hang around for weeks. Someone my sister knows took prozac, after a recommendation from another friend, they are a tried and well tested drug, and I believe could help, my sisters friend did not experience any side effects!, now that has to be worth a try I thought, then I saw this post and I think my mind is made up! .

The sleep problem you are having maybe just worry, you know, waiting for 'the effects' (as I do subconsiously), and believe it or not you may just be excited that this could work, and make all your dreams come true!, and I hope it does!
Old 11th October 2007, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Starla*
Can prozac make you have problems getting to sleep because I've been lying in the dark over an hour and still nada.
I think it does because last night and the night before I couldn't sleep either. I had a grand total of 5 hours sleep last night

I hope I get some sleep tonight.

This seems weird replying to myself!

Maybe I should have asked this as a seperate question in another room to get more replies

I'm tired
Old 11th October 2007, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Starla*
I think it does because last night and the night before I couldn't sleep either. I had a grand total of 5 hours sleep last night

I hope I get some sleep tonight.

This seems weird replying to myself!

Maybe I should have asked this as a seperate question in another room to get more replies

I'm tired

My top sleep tips didn't work then?
Old 11th October 2007, 20:01

No

I did try mentally getting up but I was forcing myself to think, focus and concentrate so much it was keeping me awake.

I am going to try and get to bed before 12 tonight and read a book and take a cup of horlicks with me. How lovely does that sound?!! I just hope I can do it.

Can we have a yawning smiley?
Old 11th October 2007, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz
No Starla I think it could be the medication. Ive got a prescription hanging on my pin board for an SSRI (not prozac) Its been there for 2 weeks because Ive been reading about the side effects and sleep disturbance was one of them (doesnt effect everyone though). I think some people said it only lasted short term whilst they were getting used to the drug and eventually settled down.....but ive read so much I cant be 100%.
Thanks Jazz

I've been on loads of other SSRIs before and I haven't had sleep disturbance as a side effect from any of them so this is quite new to me.

Don't be put off by the side effects though, like you say not everyone is affected by them. I never have been, until now.

I hope it is only short term or I'll end up going mad!
Old 11th October 2007, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz
^No its not just that, my cpn says she doesnt think I need take them, she thinks its more high anxiety than depression so we are trying the relaxation, anxiety control route first!

I think different SSRI work differently on each individual, I dunno perhaps the sleeplessness could be a good sign that theyre doing something in your body even if just adjusting your brain chemistry??

Fingers crossed anyhow
She sounds like a good CPN. She's right, there's no point taking unnecessary meds that may make your anxiety worse.

Good point re sleeplessness. I never thought of that. Hmm...if this is the only SSRI I've had a side effect from I wonder if that means it's going to be the one that works.

I'm quite optimistic now, thanks Jazz
Old 11th October 2007, 20:20

I'll try!
Old 26th October 2007, 15:00

Hi Starla, it's been nearly two weeks since you last posted here - how are you feeling now?
Old 26th October 2007, 20:03

Aw thanks Blue Skies for your concern

I'm feeling up and down still. Although I have been rather normal at work today and relaxed and just my real self rather than acting normal if you know what I mean.

I think they are having an effect definitely.

I was trying to work out how long I'd been on them as well today, so cheers for that too!
Closed Thread