SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 29th August 2011, 19:44

Mood
Happy

Default You can heal your life

Has anyone read this book by Louise L. Hay ? I have found it very helpful.
Old 29th August 2011, 20:18

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: You can heal your life

the first half i thought was useful somewhat, but the appendix of illnesses and "cures".. i've tried a few and i don't think it did much for me. acne is apparently because i don't like myself and don't approve of myself
Old 29th August 2011, 21:16
Banned at own request

it's bollocks.

"In addition to promoting delusions about the ability of people to cure others and themselves of horrible diseases by the power of thought, the New Thought movement encourages delusions in other areas of life. Outside of the healing arena, New Thought beliefs contribute to what might be called the empowerment delusion: the false belief that feeling empowered, or believing you are empowered, is the same as being empowered. The empowerment delusion leads people to believe that they can create health or wealth or anything material by willing it or asking God to will it. A corollary is the delusion that poverty or sickness is their own fault: their bad thoughts, stinkin' thinkin', negative ideas, lack of faith, etc., cause all misery. The empowerment delusion is fed by appeals to nonsense like the law of attraction, to nonsensical appeals to quantum physics (Deepak Chopra, Rhonda Byrne, & a host of others), or to faith in faith (like all faith healers and prosperity preachers like Reverend Ike or Joel Osteen). The billion-dollar self-help industry is largely driven by the empowerment delusion. "

http://www.skepdic.com/newthought.html
Old 30th August 2011, 09:41

^ Lol that was funny, and being the sceptic that I am it tends to concur with my thinking. That said, I do feel bad about raining on friends' parade who seem to derive benefit from self-empowerment books and conferences. I have a friend who was really into the Landmark Forum for a while, which I think is just a slick money-making machine to be honest, but it seemed to make her happy. If it works for some people, fair enough. I think as with most anything in life, you take from it the bits you find useful and discard the rest.
Closed Thread