SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th October 2012, 22:04

Mood
Hungover

Default Yoga

Anyone tried this to sort their mind out. I've read a bit about it and through stretching and meditation it's supposed to heal your mind and body from it's strain and make you a more confident person, providing you put the effort in I presume.

I'm gonna drop into one after work next week to see what they're like. The only problem is I'm a man and my mates at work will be give me grief for it ha ha.
Old 18th October 2012, 23:27
Banned

Mood
Scared

Default Re: Yoga

Ill be going to a yoga class next week... its at a leisure centre so i suspect it will be full of either fit
birds, old birds or big birds. Most probably a mix. Knowing my luck ill be directly behind the latter...plus flatulence

I found a new age spiritual place near where i live that does loads of crazy alternative stuff. Right up my street. The laughing yoga intrigues me.

Good luck with your session, let us know how you get on
Old 19th October 2012, 00:16

I tried it a while back. I was quite nervous going there but it did relax me so I ended up kind of back at square one.
I think a good teacher is important. Mine was very good, she pushed us quite hard so it ended up a pretty good work out too.
Old 19th October 2012, 06:18

Mood
Torn

I'm one of the older ones, but used to do Iyengar yoga decades ago, which I find more taxing, as it requires strength but effective. I've just posted that I meant to get up an hour earlier to do it by DVD but it is split into 25 minute sections: standing, twisting forwards, etc., etc.. For early morning yoga I would have thought a mixture might have been more appropriate. I'm not that flexible when I first get out of bed and breakfast won.

Some positions, the Bow, cause flatulence. I was told off for being inhibited when I went red on someone else's behalf. I think it keeps you flexible, especially necessary as you get older, and can distract you. Went to Body Balance. It is a mixture of Tai Chi, yoga and pilates all done at great speed, which defeats the object as far as yoga is concerned.
Old 19th October 2012, 07:32

Ive been doing yoga for quite some time now. Its a kind of interesting form of exercise and very spiritual. Next year I plan to do the foundation course with the BWY. It should be quite a challenge.

Once you go to a few lessons you can plan your own practice at home.
Old 19th October 2012, 12:50

Mood
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat

I'm gonna drop into one after work next week to see what they're like. The only problem is I'm a man and my mates at work will be give me grief for it ha ha.
My boss is a big fan of yoga and we don't give him grief for it at work - it was just a bit of a surprise initially as he mostly just plays rugby and the number of rugby-playing yogis is pretty small.

I would never take the piss out of anyone who did yoga because some of the things they do in ashtanga yoga look like you would have to be amazingly strong.
Old 19th October 2012, 13:33

Location: I grew up in sunny Cardiff and moved to Exeter in 2004.

Am i the only one who would just be way too shy and nervous (SA) to even think about going to a yoga class? I know im not the only one, so its a stupid question! But sometimes i read stuff on here and it makes me think my SA is really bad. Although having said that there are probably posts ive made talking about things ive done that have made others think my SA isnt bad. Why am i still writing words?
Old 19th October 2012, 14:04

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMouse
My boss is a big fan of yoga and we don't give him grief for it at work - it was just a bit of a surprise initially as he mostly just plays rugby and the number of rugby-playing yogis is pretty small.

I would never take the piss out of anyone who did yoga because some of the things they do in ashtanga yoga look like you would have to be amazingly strong.
Yoga is quite popular amongst professional sports people for its physical health benefits. If anyone follows football, Brad Friedel, the goalie, is still playing at the highest level despite being, I think, 41 (most will get to 36/37 at most) and he attributes a lot of it to yoga.

I would like to try yoga classes but haven't found the guts, as yet. Same old...
Old 19th October 2012, 14:05

^ what dvd have you got? Yoga is something i would want to try but just cant see myself having the guts to go to a class. Maybe a dvd at home is the way to go.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:41

Mood
Melancholy

Yoga is supposed to be super good for you, and it has really helped a couple of people I know with their physical ailments. I would probably give it a go if I was feeling up to it health-wise, but the classes can be a bit expensive and I'd prefer to go with someone else.

We own a Wii which has a yoga thing on it which I did for a bit, but I think it's difficult to know if you're doing it effectively if you do it from a DVD, or to know if your body is in the right position because you just can't see what you're doing. Unless you're surrounded by mirrors I suppose! I think that's why the classes are so good - the one my friend goes to involves the teacher spending time with each person getting you in the right position or adapting it to your injury/fitness level.

I think it's one of those things you have to bear with as well... I did Pilates and was so unimpressed for a few weeks but only started seeing the benefits further down the line.
Old 19th October 2012, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingped
Yoga is quite popular amongst professional sports people for its physical health benefits. If anyone follows football, Brad Friedel, the goalie, is still playing at the highest level despite being, I think, 41 (most will get to 36/37 at most) and he attributes a lot of it to yoga.

I would like to try yoga classes but haven't found the guts, as yet. Same old...
^^^Yeh my physio suggested I try pilates which is similar to yoga (I think?) as part of my treatment. It just looks a bit boring tho. Has anyone tried it?
Old 19th October 2012, 16:24
Banned

Mood
Scared

Ive tryed yoga from a couple of DVDs and didnt enjoy it. i just couldnt stick to it. As crazy as this sounds, I prefer exercising in groups.
I will be really nervous about going to this yoga group but I know someone who suffered from SA who is now a support worker who swears by yoga and relaxation exercises. She told me they were one of the major reasons behind her beating SA.
Its worth a try.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:29

Does it really matter that you're male? Just don't tell anyone.

I did it everyday for two months and people commented on my posture and shape, it makes a real difference if you keep it up.

Now I just do a round of salute to the sun if I can be bothered. I wouldn't go to class but if you can then do so. You can't go wrong.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:36

Mood
Torn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyStone
^^^Yeh my physio suggested I try pilates which is similar to yoga (I think?) as part of my treatment. It just looks a bit boring tho. Has anyone tried it?
Pilates is derived from yoga, by Joseph Pilates, and originally used by dancers. Pilates is usually constantly flowing while in yoga you tend to hold the positions.

I make the excuse that I'm saving money by using various DVD's, but in yoga, they usually correct the position and try and make sure you don't hurt yourself by over-stretching into a position. Even that can be competitive, if you are so inclined. Some of the Pilates 10 Minute Solutions are so fast, they wouldn't impress a professional Pilates teacher.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:50

Ive just ordered it off amazion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsky
have been using 'Barbara Currie's 7 Secrets of Yoga', prob sounds a bit naff, but is good for beginners i think, i've only ever gotten as far as doing the first 10 min workout, which is pretty straightforward, but def noticed difference just doing that. also started doing a 10 min workout that's in the current issue of Health & Fitness mag, think that's the one that's helped with abs cause one of positions is the plank, which is sposed to be good for that area, your core muscles and all that. not even been doing it that long and noticed difference already.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:52

Mood
Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyStone
I did about 6-8 weeks of Pilates. I found it disappointing to begin with, but I think you have to stick with it. By the end of the course, I had actually got in to it more and wanted to continue (there wasn't another course to carry on at that point). I think you kind of have to give it a long while, as at the start you think 'I'm really not doing anything!' but months later you are in the mindset more. In my opinion

Again, Pilates is expensive (round here at least), and I wanted a more energy-burning exercise class (aerobics or what have you) so I didn't continue with it.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo
Pilates is derived from yoga, by Joseph Pilates, and originally used by dancers. Pilates is usually constantly flowing while in yoga you tend to hold the positions.

I make the excuse that I'm saving money by using various DVD's, but in yoga, they usually correct the position and try and make sure you don't hurt yourself by over-stretching into a position. Even that can be competitive, if you are so inclined. Some of the Pilates 10 Minute Solutions are so fast, they wouldn't impress a professional Pilates teacher.
Cheers Yoga actually sounds like it would be more useful with the holding and stretching

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty
I did about 6-8 weeks of Pilates. I found it disappointing to begin with, but I think you have to stick with it. By the end of the course, I had actually got in to it more and wanted to continue (there wasn't another course to carry on at that point). I think you kind of have to give it a long while, as at the start you think 'I'm really not doing anything!' but months later you are in the mindset more. In my opinion

Again, Pilates is expensive (round here at least), and I wanted a more energy-burning exercise class (aerobics or what have you) so I didn't continue with it.
I'm the same. If I don't think something is helping straight away I get disillusioned quite quickly. Too impatient.
Old 20th October 2012, 11:22

Mood
Curious

I love yoga. I get really focused on it and forget about being anxious.

I don't see why being a man would be an issue. My yoga teacher is male and there are several guys who regularly go to the class; none of them are at all effeminate.
Old 21st October 2012, 13:31

Mood
Torn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetmenot
The only thing i like about yoga is the stretching because i think it helps relax the nervous system. What i can't get my head around are the strange positions you have to stand or sit in which don't involve much stretching. I can't see the point of it really. I understand that if you can hold a pose it might help with your concentration but there are other things which can distract your mind and help with concentration like doing a hobby.
I understand why anyone would find yoga boring, but it does stretch all the muscles in the body and enables you to be flexible all your life, which is no bad thing. My Iyengar teacher, by no means the only one out there, was male and you get male students.
Old 11th November 2012, 12:12

Found this 21 day course yesterday, seems like a good low cost introduction to yoga, I'm planning to have a go at it this week.
Old 11th November 2012, 16:38

Mood
Alienated

I went to yoga class and it was ace! really relaxing. Yes I was the only young male person there but so what. Sod what anyone else thinks, just do it! Its for you,not them and the guys at work laugh then it shows they are afraid to try out new things. Actually yoga can be be quite hard and can be slightly painful if not done the right way, so rather than feel embarrassed about it, challenge them to try it before they laugh about it. By the way I told both my karate teacher and the blokes at my work and they are all chefs so dont be worried what others think! Go for it!
Old 11th November 2012, 17:25

Mood
Alienated

try this link, I found this very good also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPr4g...eature=related