SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 13th June 2009, 12:33

Default Re: The give yourself a break from alcohol thread!

Thursday I had wine in the evening apart from that I stuck to my plan. Thursday I was absolutely shattered and felt a bit on edge and I thought what the hell I'm having a drink. I'm o.k with that. It's the regular habit which I've been breaking off from and so far I've been successful so as long as I don't start getting into a nightly habit again I'm fairly happy. Probably will have a drink tonight or tomorrow if I fancy one.

Well Done Miaddiction. All the best to everyone, don't give up. Any one noticed benefits when they stay off? I possibly feel a bit more alert.. Maybe feel a bit fresher in the mornings. Hopefully my brain will start behaving better, or maybe I've just got lots of lose wiring..
Old 13th June 2009, 13:10

Mood
Paranoid

Well done Willow for not going back to drinking nightly! I haven't had a drink since Monday and my friend came round on Wednesday night and asked if i wanted a bottle of wine and i really didn't fancy a drink so i said no and said that i didn't mind if she wanted to get one for herself. Still I got confronted with "Are you sure you don't want a drink?" and then when she came back from the shop she said "Are you sure you don't want any of my drink?" But i stuck to my guns and said no and sat there drinking coke and I was not uncomfortable about the fact that she was drinking and I wasn't drinking. I also have started a new job Thursday morning so drinking for me on a Wednesday night is now no longer an option.
Old 25th June 2009, 07:30

How is everyone doing?

I have been drinking a little more again just because I have been having a glass of my husbands lager in the evening quite often. I'm not having much and the alcohol content is a lot lower than having the wine but I will watch it.

The becks non alcoholic beer tastes quite convincing anyone else tried that one?

Best shoot off now, to work that is.
Old 25th June 2009, 07:58

Mood
Paranoid

Day 11 for me today of not drinking! I didn't go out last saturday and I went for a chiniese with my family on sunday but didn't bother drinking which i was proud of. I am going out this saturday night but i don't feel like drinking at the moment. I will see if i can beat day 13 this time!!!!!
Old 25th June 2009, 10:00

Mood
Spaced

Great thread. I have not touched a drop of alcohol for 3 weeks now. just started meds so it is more reason not to touch the stuff. Hopefully will not even feel i have to now, or at least feel i have to result to it.
Old 25th June 2009, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by W!llow
The becks non alcoholic beer tastes quite convincing anyone else tried that one?

I've had the alcohol free Becks and agree with you, it does taste quite convincing. Whenever I'm on the wagon & been tempted to drink I've bought some some bottles and it's helped me to keep going.

I've been off the wagon a little bit lately. Had three bottles of Stella last night & as a result I still feel a bit tired even though I only woke up 20 minutes ago. Thats one thing I really hate, the fact that even though I've wasted half the morning by having such a long lie in I haven't really benefitted from it.

I'm going to get back on the wagon & WILL have at least 14 days alcohol free . I find that after the first week there is a noticable improvement in my energy levels & I do seem to have more of a bounce in my step
Old 25th June 2009, 11:05

Quote:
How is everyone doing?
Pretty good! I have had only two nights of drinking since we started this, and even then it was much less (about half) than previously. I feel way better too.
Glad you're doing ok with this too Willow
Old 26th June 2009, 11:05

Im not managing many consecutive days off at the moment, drinking a couple of nights a week, but not gone back to every night drinking. I still really struggle some evenings between 5 and 9 oclock. I take the dog for a walk on dartmoor most evenings and by the time i get home the urge to drink has usually gone.
Old 26th June 2009, 11:43

Well Done Sandy, Skald, SeaW!

Quote:
Glad you're doing ok with this too Willow
Thanks SeaW. I am definitely drinking less which is good but I'm going to have to try a bit harder me thinks..

Tailgate, yes the Becks is definitely one of the better non-alcoholic drinks. If you feel like something that tastes a bit like the real thing.
Stella is quite a nasty one I think, I don't know if it is coincidence but in the past when I have had it it didn't seem to have a very good effect - a noticeable depressant for me. Good luck with getting back on the wagon. When you say 'off the wagon' have you been drinking most nights? If you are normally a heavy drinker even cutting down those days is worthy of congrats. I have to be careful too because it is easy to creep back up. I didn't really want to set hard and fast rules but if I do find myself getting too regular I may have to.
Quote:
I'm going to get back on the wagon & WILL have at least 14 days alcohol free .
Good for you!

Hackpen you sound like you are doing well, you've broken the habit. Just being aware that if you start creeping up that it might be good to bring the reigns in again. (well that's what I am thinking for myself anyway). I've found it hard because my husband has been drinking lager because he finds it refreshing after work and I have been having some of his because I've got a bit lazy in my attitude. Certainly not excessive but it is still creeping in too regularly so I am going to try to go back to the weekend (do weekends include Friday nights? I think I might allow myself two nights of alcohol consumption but in moderation (of course). For me I like the taste I enjoy it as a drink so I think the more frequently I have it I just feel like it more the next night so I think I am going to have to be tough.
Old 26th June 2009, 12:53

Quote:
Tailgate, yes the Becks is definitely one of the better non-alcoholic drinks. If you feel like something that tastes a bit like the real thing.
Stella is quite a nasty one I think, I don't know if it is coincidence but in the past when I have had it it didn't seem to have a very good effect - a noticeable depressant for me. Good luck with getting back on the wagon. When you say 'off the wagon' have you been drinking most nights? If you are normally a heavy drinker even cutting down those days is worthy of congrats.

The week before last I was drinking some home made wine and drank 4 nights in a row. This week there was only 2 nights when I drank shop bought alcohol. I'm not a heavy drinker and so am not really concerned with the amount that I drink, I just think that the frequency with which I drink is a bit too high at times & so I just like to have a break every now & again
Old 26th June 2009, 13:12

mmm! home made wine sounds good! My step-dad used to make elderflower wine and rose wine. Last year he made Sloe gin.
You sound similar to me as being more concerned with the frequency, I don't binge drink either but the regularity was worrying me .
Old 26th June 2009, 15:17

Quote:
Last year he made Sloe gin.

I've made sloe gin the last couple of years & absolutely love it. I can't wait till the sloes are ready this year. I'm also looking forward to making some quince wine as well later on this year. I'm very fortunate to have a couple of quince bushes in the back garden. Last year I made some quince wine and quince jam
Old 7th July 2009, 15:57

Mood
Paranoid

Hi i will no longer be posting on this site but just to let you all know well done for those of you who have managed to take a break or cut down on alcohol. Just thought i would give you an update before i go - I am on day 24 today and cannot believe i have lasted this long. I have been out twice to a disco and a gig and i didn't bother drinking. I am proud of myself and shows i do not need to have alcohol to have a good time. I am hoping to last now till day 36 when i am going to a christening and we are all going out for drinks after so will have a few drinks then. This will also include not drinking at the sauk portsmouth meet which is the day before which will probably be hard but im sure i will do it.
Old 7th July 2009, 16:05

Mood
Angelic

I'm off the booze
Old 7th July 2009, 16:09

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andist
I'm off the booze
Well done,

for how long? If you dont mind me asking.
Old 7th July 2009, 16:13

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyjw
Hi i will no longer be posting on this site but just to let you all know well done for those of you who have managed to take a break or cut down on alcohol. Just thought i would give you an update before i go - I am on day 24 today and cannot believe i have lasted this long. I have been out twice to a disco and a gig and i didn't bother drinking. I am proud of myself and shows i do not need to have alcohol to have a good time. I am hoping to last now till day 36 when i am going to a christening and we are all going out for drinks after so will have a few drinks then. This will also include not drinking at the sauk portsmouth meet which is the day before which will probably be hard but im sure i will do it.
Another well done,

I have cut down drinking dramatically but still have problems when I am out. It takes a lot less for me to get drunk now and when I am out I get nervous and resort to trying to get merry to let go a bit. It doesn't work and I always end up regretting it the next day.
Closed Thread