Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 15th April 2010, 12:34

Mood
Balanced

Smile Agorophobia progress

Hello all,

I know there are some other's on this forum who's primary problem is agoraphobia, fuels by fear of embarissment from panic and so on. Just wanted to share some things that have been helping me recently, which today has enabled my to walk up the main highstreets of Cardiff (from 3 days ago not being able to walk down my road!)

First of all the anxiety & phobia workbook has been amazing, especially the daily check list of things to do, which helps me actually do them (and keep track of what i have done)

Basically

No suger, alacahol, caffine, or cigerettes (gave up 6 weeks ago after 10 years )

Running every eve (or as much as pos) - luckily i live right next to a massive park so not too much trouble for me!

Sort of like cbt methods, keep a record of recurring thoughts i have when panicing outside, come home and write counters for them (and counters for the physical feelings also) and use these when in any trouble. Main ones being....

1) Worried I will have a panic / collapse -> Change to I WANT to have a panic attack so i can prove to myself i am not scared of them, if i collapse then i definatly will not die from it as never happened to anyone!
2) Worried will embarris myself by panicing - Realising that no-one including myself will be around in say 100 years time anyway, absolutly no reason to have even a passing thought about this, who cares what i do!!
3) Any physical feeling - just ACCEPT and let them pass over, i may not have control over the initial panic reaction but i have control over my reaction (with peace of mind given to me by 1 & 2)

Obviously i have to make sure i belive the above reasonings, which takes a little bit of thinking about them in the morning.....

Seems to be working so far.

Walking down the high street today released such a rush in my body, felt like MDMA, it was amazing!

Good luck to all!
Old 15th April 2010, 12:59

Default Re: Agorophobia progress

Good work so far you coming to the museum tommorow?
Old 15th April 2010, 13:47

Mood
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingButTheRain
Good work so far you coming to the museum tommorow?
I love museums .Can i come ?
Old 15th April 2010, 13:49

Ye if you want to come along then by all means come along
Old 15th April 2010, 13:53

Mood
Balanced

Possibly, maybe will pop my head in now and do a recon!

you have fridays off work?
Old 15th April 2010, 13:55

Nope, but I booked off the afternoon I could do with a break since I'm working Saturday.
Old 28th April 2010, 17:44

Mood
Blah

Well done rackha
Old 28th April 2010, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackha
No suger, alacahol, caffine, or cigerettes (gave up 6 weeks ago after 10 years )
Well done you . Just a question about giving up stimulants (something I agree that - in my case at least - definately helps). Do they need to be given up entirely? (well, obviously the fags should). I'm currently down to 3 cups of light green tea / day. I would really hate to go any lower than that unless I really had to. Plus I like the occasional small kit kat with lunch. What do you think? Is it all or nothing, or can we tolerate small amounts?
Old 29th April 2010, 10:34

Mood
Balanced

Hello.

Really i think it depends on the person. I get easily affected by small amounts of suger, could by psycosomatic but was happening before i was aware of it as well, which i now can see by looking back. For anxiety i think suger never helps, maybe for depression, but even that yesterday they said they think chocolate may cause depression!

Re green tea, i think that is fine to drink. Green tea contains high amounts of Theanine, which affects one of the neurotransmitters in the brain which reduces mental and physical stress, and improves cognition, which can counteract the effect of the caffine. As a side note, this was found as people wondered how monks could drink so much green tea without getting jittery, and it turns out its the theanine which enables them to do so. I actually got some free pure theanine from a health shop yesterday, does seem very relaxing!
Old 29th April 2010, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackha
Re green tea, i think that is fine to drink.
Huzzah I did try giving it up completely once, but, god, it was awful. Never been so depressed, worse than giving up smoking (something else I am yet to do, but working on).
Closed Thread