SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st March 2021, 13:21

Unhappy My scratched up legs :(

Hi,
I havent been sure where to post about this online, but remembered this forum being very supportive and it seems an appropriate enough place given that this is anxiety related.
What on earth can I do about this problem. It's been an issue since I was a child but never bothered me as much back then. Its not a problem in the winter as obviously I can cover up but come spring/summer it's so difficult constantly having to hide my legs. This photo doesnt even show the worst of it. I dont consciously scratch/pick.. it happens in my sleep or when I'm anxious and doing it compulsively. Besides forcing myself to wear tights all the time, I'm not sure what to do. Even if I can stop and heal the fresh scratches, there's still the awful scarring.
Has anyone else got dermatillomnia or a similar issue?

Edit: cant attach the photo unfortunately. Basically, my legs are throughly scratched to pieces.
Old 1st March 2021, 19:41

Default Re: My scratched up legs :(

Perhaps you could think of a repetitive action (clapping your hands, clapping your hands on your thighs three times) and thinking of a word/phrase to say out loud when you feel the urge to pick at your legs. You could make yourself a little lidded box with your chosen word/phrase written on the lid and inside the box you could put things like a stress ball, some slime, silly putty to roll around in your hands and stretch, some wool to plait, a pad of paper and some pens to scribble with, paper and hole punch. Things that you can do repetitively with your hands. Then you could select something from the box to do for ten minutes.

You could also have self-care activities written on little pieces of folded up paper in a jar that you could do after the box activity e.g. have a foot bath with a little bath bomb, paint my nails, go for a walk in nature, follow a yoga YouTube video, have an extra bath/shower just for relaxation, dance to a really cheesy song.

As for night time, I think you can get some special little mittens to wear in bed, so if you do scratch then it might protect your legs. A bit like how people who grind their teeth wear a mouth guard at night.

It might also be worth contacting MIND to see if they can point you in the direction of support. Also your GP might be able to prescribe some cream to help with the scarring.

Hope this helps a little bit. (It's not something that I have experience of so I'm sorry if these ideas are rubbish!) It's really good that you're recognising that you'd like to find coping strategies to replace this one.

p.s. your username makes me think of this really nice warm apple drink they use to give free samples of in Whittards. mmmm.
Old 1st March 2021, 20:40

Mood
Cynical

Keeping your nails short is probably a good idea, to limit the damage you can do. I struggle ith this too so I'm sorry I don't have any further advice!
Old 2nd March 2021, 11:21

Mood
Breezy

Biscuits is back *bounds around the room like a very excited person*
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:38

Mood
Cynical

^ There are creams and oils that can help somewhat with healing and fading scars. But I don't think anyone should feel ashamed of like they have to cover up if they do have scars.
Old 10th March 2021, 15:11

I suffer from this too and am covered in scars. Tiny little insect bites or scalds from an iron have become huge marks all over my body. Sometimes I don't realise I'm even skin-picking. Other times I do it when I'm anxious or deliberately to punish/hurt myself. Fortunately no one sees the scars, or is ever likely to, as I never go bare legged or wear swimming costumes on holiday and I will never have a physical relationship with anyone.