SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Is Ricky Gervais a genius or charlatan?
Genius 5 9.80%
Talented 22 43.14%
Very small bag of tricks 16 31.37%
Charlatan 8 15.69%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 30th September 2006, 03:22

Default Ricky Gervais- scrapping the barrel?

I must admit to finding the latest series of "extras" increasingly desperate. The gags seem to now involve the disabled, dwarves and adolescents playing with johnies. What is most distressing is the way that Gervais (the writer) gets other characters to use no-pc expressions (ie mongoloids) then half-heartedly feigns outrage.
While there was a certain amount of this in the Office, he seems to be going rather too far.
Old 30th September 2006, 03:29
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Ricky Gervais- scrapping the barrel?

I voted 'very small bag of tricks'.

In all honesty, I just don't see what the appeal is. All I see is a chubby bloke with slicked-back hair, trying to be funny.

I didn't even think that the Office was particularly great. In fact, I don't remember being made to laugh out loud while watching it.

Big thumbs down, I'm afraid.
Old 30th September 2006, 03:39

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehoven
The gags seem to now involve the disabled, dwarves and adolescents playing with johnies. What is most distressing is the way that Gervais (the writer) gets other characters to use no-pc expressions (ie mongoloids) then half-heartedly feigns outrage.
When Gervais started out on The 11 o' Clock Show, his material mainly consisted of that type of stuff. Basically, when it comes to the core of him, he's a stealth Bernard Manning (but with amusing and likeable qualities.)

I like Extras, especially the new series, but don't hold it on a pedestal so its importance to me is limited. It's quite funny, not as good as The Office, but is shiteloads better than The Green Green Grass. It's just another way to piddle off half an hour from one's life and I can think of worse ways to do so.
Old 30th September 2006, 08:46

I can't stand this bloke, i find him REALLY annoying regardless of what he does
Old 30th September 2006, 09:25

Perhaps that's why the BBc follow Extras with the appalling Mitchell and Webb, which has got to be one of the most excruciatingly unfunny sketch shows ever (and it has a lot of competition)- to make the overhyped Gervais seem more amusing.
I've never understood the attraction of M&W; one's an irksome little nerd, and the others an even more annoying bloke WHO SHOUTS A LOT.
Old 30th September 2006, 12:47

Mood
Dreaming

I am really, really sick to death of the sight of the man. He thinks he's so great just because he made ONE successful show. A show he could only come up with enough ideas to make 2 series of (although he claims that by stopping it so early he's creative or some rubbish).
I watched the first series of Extras. It was possibly the worst show I have ever seen. Not funny, same jokes from the Office. All it was was getting a few celebrities, embarrassing them, and that's it. It was a show about celebrities, nothing more. His character may as well have not been in it.
Even in the Office I preffered the parts with him not in it. Like between Tim and Gareth. All he can do is embarrassing humour, which is more uncomfortable than funny.

And if anyone was unlucky enough to watch Sky One around the time time that 'his' Simpsons episode was on.... God it killed me. EVERY advert break for weeks his stupid face came on screen and said the stupid line "ha! I'm on the Simpsons". I didn't bother watching it but apparently it was crap.

And has there ever been a Jonathan Ross show he HASN'T been on?
Old 30th September 2006, 13:55

Mood
Torn

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
I watched the first series of Extras. It was possibly the worst show I have ever seen.
Worst show you've ever seen....and yet you watched the whole series? :D

I voted talented but yes i agree he is living off past success. The second series of the office was nowhere near as good as the first and while i do watch extras i'm not that impressed. (It's still better than 99% of the other comedies on TV though)

He is funny, but in a smug way.
Old 30th September 2006, 13:56

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattty
Worst show you've ever seen....and yet you watched the whole series? :D
My brother and mother watch it. I was in the room whilst they went through the DVD.
Also, I like to give things a fair chance. You can't judge a show until you've seen a bit and know the characters.
Old 30th September 2006, 13:59

Mood
Blah

I voted Talented.

I think Ricky Gervais 'understands' comedy.
He knows what works and what doesnt, i think the 3 episodes of extras ive seen so far, have been very good.

I didnt rate him on the 11 o' clock show, but the Office was brilliant.
His stand up show 'animals' is hysterical but 'Politics' was abysmal. He isnt a genius, but is definitely capable.

I think he's innovative, he isnt afraid to try something to see if it works or not...
Old 30th September 2006, 14:00

Mood
Torn

OK! I was just having a bit of fun
Old 30th September 2006, 14:11

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattty
OK! I was just having a bit of fun
hehe, I know.
Old 30th September 2006, 15:09

Mood
Shoveit

I don't recall seeing any other comedy that makes me cringe and laugh at the same time. Well, apart from Ali G and his friends.

Gervais does have a really annoying laugh though...
Old 30th September 2006, 17:03
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

I didn't find the Office even mildly amusing, but I liked the first series of extras. I've liked small bits of this series, but it's definitely too focused on Gervais and Merchant.

However his radio shows with Karl Pilkington are hilarious.

ren
Old 30th September 2006, 20:09

I dont like him. I did watch the office a bit but got bored with it very quickly. I remember seeing him on Room 101 and thinking something along the lines of "oh hes an irritating arse in real life too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehoven
Perhaps that's why the BBc follow Extras with the appalling Mitchell and Webb, which has got to be one of the most excruciatingly unfunny sketch shows ever (and it has a lot of competition)- to make the overhyped Gervais seem more amusing.
I've never understood the attraction of M&W; one's an irksome little nerd, and the others an even more annoying bloke WHO SHOUTS A LOT.
I find Mitchell and Webb absolutely hilarious, its the best sketch show I've seen for a long long time.
Old 1st October 2006, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthequiet
I find Mitchell and Webb absolutely hilarious, its the best sketch show I've seen for a long long time.
It's good, good choice Paul. It's not a touch on Peep Show (Channel 4 comedy they did before), but it's still funny. Those two are funnier than anything Ricky Gervais did... (that's not saying Ricky is bad... just that those two are ace ). I don't laugh out loud at Extra's (except for maybe the bit Picard did :P) or the Office but I have at Peep Show because it's well funny.
Old 1st October 2006, 01:57

Mood
Blah

Some other guys write Peep show though, those 2 just star in it
Old 1st October 2006, 02:48
d

To be honest, I don't give a f**k.
Old 1st October 2006, 12:44

Mood
Lucky

Re: that statement by Gervais:

Are you avin' a laugh?

E's avin' a laugh!

I wonder if Ricky Gervais has ever read The Emperor's New Clothes?

He's often a funny guy but milks bad taste like there's no tomorrow, despite his protestations.
Old 1st October 2006, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
You see,he is trying to expose pretension and ignorance.It's just that some people dont get it.:D
I get it, I just dont find it particularly funny either
Old 1st October 2006, 19:18

I thought the new series of extras was excellent, some of his funniest stuff. I don’t get what the problem is with this ‘controversy’, if it was a cartoon nobody would bad an eyelid.
Old 1st October 2006, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul

I thought the new series of extras was excellent, some of his funniest stuff. I don***8217;t get what the problem is with this ***8216;controversy***8217;, if it was a cartoon nobody would bad an eyelid.
I personally dont care about the controversy. I'll laugh at controversial stuff, unfortunately I dont find Rickys brand of it funny.
Old 1st October 2006, 21:07

Mood
Thinking

I have never really gotten Extras. I have really really tried as every review I ever read of it is like ooh yeah its so funny and genius etc etc but I dont think it has ever made me laugh. I liked The Office never really loved it but it did have some really funny bits in it. I think Ricky Gervais is talented but he should have quit while he was ahead and never made Extras cos it stinks!!
Old 1st October 2006, 22:36

Hm I used to think I might be mentally deficient or had a weird sense of humour because I never got the Office bug at all, when everyone was raving about it, so I didn’t bother to see if Extras was any good. I don’t think he’s much to write home about. I'd rather see Phoenix Nights, Blackadder, loads of other stuff which will literally have me in hysterics.
I remember watching him on Jonathan Ross a few weeks ago and actually finding Pete & Nikki from Big Brother far more entertaining ; I was giggling through most of their interview whereas I only managed one or two half hearted laughs when Ricky Gervais was on.
Closed Thread