SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th May 2021, 14:36

Default If you passed yourself in the street, what would you think?

I mean, as a third person who didn't know you.

I probably wouldn't give myself a second glance. I wouldn't think I was weird or anything, but I also wouldn't think of myself as memorable and wouldn't be able to pick myself out of a lineup later.

If I was serving myself in a shop then half the time I'd be thinking.. "he seems pleasant enough", the other half of the time I'd be thinking "he's pretty aloof.. seems like he just wants to get out of here as soon as he can".
Old 26th May 2021, 16:46

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: If you passed yourself in the street, what would you think?

Probably the same as that to be honest.
Old 26th May 2021, 17:26

Mood
Cynical

I'd probably think, oh she looks a bit nervous.
Old 26th May 2021, 18:37

I think I'd be terrified. I'd think I was someone with obvious "issues" and I'd be very wary. I'd definitely keep my distance, and not just because of the covid laws.

Does this make me a horrible, judgemental person? I'd definitely be very cautious if I met someone like me. Sadly there are plenty of horrible individuals about who you probably wouldn't want to associate with. I think it's understandable to be on your guard if someone makes you feel threatened. I think most people would feel a bit uneasy if some big, angry looking lump came marching past them.
Old 26th May 2021, 19:08

Did she just fart?

(Probably. I’m a gassy lassy.)
Old 26th May 2021, 19:36

I’d think “hasn’t she got a stupid bouncy walk” “what’s she looking at off in the sky?” Also “I like her shoes”.
Old 27th May 2021, 12:29

Mood
Lucky

Do you think you could be a subjective judge of yourself though?
Old 27th May 2021, 13:25

Mood
Lonely

Why does this lady look so scared? ...I've had people literally say that to me
Old 28th May 2021, 00:08

Mood
Bored

Blah blah blah...
Old 28th May 2021, 01:01

I think about how I must come across and even ask people sometimes because I get so frustrated getting into situations I do, or some ways I'm treated.

A brief passing on the street though is slightly different. If I'm struggling which I usually am I think I probably come across bit fed up, no nonsense and possibly bit up myself. Not how I really feel and struggle.
Old 28th May 2021, 02:34

The sort of things I might have thought about myself if I'd passed myself on the street when I was younger would be quite different to what I would think now. In the past I would have focused on appearance and if it was my reflection I'd spotted in a shop window I would have immediately thought what a hideous fat so and so when in fact I was a good few stone lighter back then and much less hideous. Now my reflection doesn't even catch my eye because I'm just not interested in it, and that's how I think other people react to me too.

One of the only positives I have found about getting older is that I have become less and less visible. I no longer scurry across the road if I spot a bunch of teenagers up ahead and if I see a group of younger women or men I know that they won't even notice me let alone pass judgement or comment. No one is interested in the middle aged me and I've finally been let off the hook. It no longer matters that I'm not fashion conscious. Elasticated leggings and comfy flat shoes are what all women with a bit of middle aged spread wear right?

So, if I passed myself in the street now I would think nothing or at the very most briefly glance at the boring rather timid looking woman going upon her way.
Old 28th May 2021, 03:04

She seems well mannered, which they couldn't say about many people.. but she seems very nervous, has low self confidence and needs to lose some weight but I like her flowery backpack lol.
Old 28th May 2021, 22:31

I had to watch myself on CCTV a while back and it was horrifying. As ridiculous as I think I am, I didn't realise I was quite as bad as I appeared on there. I looked like a shaved ape, and it's also given me a complex about how I walk. I used to think I walked normally but on the footage I saw I had a very distinct waddle. So now every time I walk I feel really self conscious about waddling, which probably makes my walk even weirder. A sort of nervous half-waddle.

All these CBT techniques always backfire for me as I always seem to come across as worse than what I think in my head.
Old 29th May 2021, 08:48

Mood
Alienated

Grumpy Twat

As I storm down the street with my head aimed at the floor with a "don't interact with me" face, and hoodie up unless its boiling.
Old 29th May 2021, 11:27

Maybe this is just in my imagination but I think I have a certain 'look' which I could only describe as the look of a confused simpleton. I feel like someone once expressed it in a painting called the village idiot. Very occasionally I see someone else with my look and I think "there's another one of my tribe!" I never make eye contact with these people but I feel sure that they've recognised me too.