SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th December 2016, 15:39
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default ASD and schizotypal,similar or not?

Had my 6 monthly review with my nurse practitioner. Really opened up for the first time re aspergers/autistic traits. She said there is not much available in the area but didn't dismiss me out of hand as she gave me a print out to an Aspergers site.
What she did say however was that several things could also be explained by schizotypal.

I was wondering what other posters views were on the ASD vs schizotypal connection.
Old 7th December 2016, 17:17
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: ASD and schizotypal,similar or not?

^ Thanks. It is hard for me to tell. One of the problems for me is the artificial exclusion criteria of the DSM/ICD whereby you can't have one disorder if a certain other one is present. Yet I have come across quite a few people who fit the criteria for both diagnoses.

I know that social anxiety can be a part of both ASD and schizotypal. Mine developed as a reaction to bullying as a teenager due to being physically and socially awkward. It seems the ASD symptoms(traits?) came first and the paranoia and social anxiety was a reaction to negative peer responses stemming from that .