Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 3rd April 2011, 23:56
Banned

Mood
Lonely

Default memory problem ?

Is this place just for problems you have with your PC in relation to SA UK or are general problems included.

I have a PC that I've been having problems with. Since I got it it has had a windows media player XP problem as it crashes at times.

It's gottten worse though as I had a folder with some video clips I'd made and they wer ok and they are still ok as I checked them on another Vista PC and they are fine.

Every time I went into this folder though as soon as I tried to start a clip the Pc would crah and all the icons and the tasbar would dissapear for about three seconds then appear again.

Then Dr Watson I noticed had come on it said there was a media player error. But it would say that as media player was the application that crashed. Also though I kept getting a box saying a memory reference wasn't able to be read so I think my memory is screwed.

How do you check if your memory is rubbish and needs replaced ?
Old 4th April 2011, 10:39

Default Re: memory problem ?

There is this:

Windows Memory Diagnostic

I'd also check that it isn't just Windows Media Player being shitty, if that's the only program you get problems with. Try VLC and see if that works any better.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:45
Banned

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA
There is this:

Windows Memory Diagnostic

I'd also check that it isn't just Windows Media Player being shitty, if that's the only program you get problems with. Try VLC and see if that works any better.
I've got VLC it's great it plays all the files windows media player turns it's nose up at but I still prefer their media player because it looks better and has more knobs on it Lol.

It was still having a shut down though as it was this particular folder that was causing the problem, a file within that folder it didn't seem to like when I opened the folder. I tracked down the particular file in that one that it did not like and cut it out and have it sitting on my desktop in case it can be repaired as VLC will still play it but only if I open it from VLC's file menu. Click on the file itself and it won't play and all the icons disappear. So that seemed to cure it when I removed it form the file all the files in the folder would then play but then the problem cropped up in another folder and that folder was fine up until then ???

I was thinking of installing linux and just scrubbing xp but even the trial installation of linux was giving me odd messages about it's applet not loading properly and other messages like that.

I was thinkking maybe if part of the memory is ruined maybe it's to do with that or maybe it's just that XP is damaged as I got the PC well used and secopnd hand soI don't have an installation disk.

That's why I'm going to go for Linux eventually as nobody wants to share their XP disc's which is odd as they have no problem when it comes to pirate DVD's or CD's but when you ask for a copy of a Windows XP disc it's quite a different reaction. They act all mean likes it's the crime of the century ? I can't understand this except maybe it's based on some kind of PC snobbery.

Anyway thanks for the link.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:55
Banned

Mood
Lonely

Hey thanks that does look really easy to use and very helpful I thought I would be on one of those long goose chases to find something and end up with a program that took half a day to do it's job like last time. Thanks very much
Closed Thread