SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 5th July 2005, 20:11

Default cycling

Any cyclists here? I've been thinking about taking it up to try and get me out the house a bit more trouble is I haven't riddin a bike for a fair few years and I'm a bit anxious out about being out there on the roads. How do you find cycling in terms of sa? Do you ever feel anxious whilst doing or do you find that you go into a sort of auto-pilot? Would you recommend cycling?
Old 5th July 2005, 21:20

Default Re: cycling

I cycle a bit. I'm not sure what I can say about it terms of SA, but if you have somewhere pleasant to cycle it may lift your mood. I have a canal near me (The Rochdale Canal) and it is wonderful to cycle along especailly this time of year with the ducklings, kingfishers etc. I even bumped into a deer on Monday morning, I was amazed!

Do you have anywhere nice to cycle?
Old 6th July 2005, 08:48

Poetry in motion... if only I could ride that fast!
Old 6th July 2005, 09:59

Cycling? Naa, what you need to get away from the masses is motorcycling. :D

But theres an affinity we bikers have with cyclists, the loner form of transport of course, and I tend to watch out for them (since they are even more vunerable than us).

It's true that a nice ride/cycle can lift your mood and get your heart racing (in a good way!). Defo worth a shot nerd boy.
Old 6th July 2005, 21:45

Thank you for the responses guys

"Do you have anywhere nice to cycle?"

I live in pretty much of an urban dwelling but it would be nice to go out and discover somewhere nice!
Old 6th July 2005, 21:53

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
Cycling? Naa, what you need to get away from the masses is motorcycling. :D

But theres an affinity we bikers have with cyclists, the loner form of transport of course, and I tend to watch out for them (since they are even more vunerable than us).

It's true that a nice ride/cycle can lift your mood and get your heart racing (in a good way!). Defo worth a shot nerd boy.
Yeah, I was thinking about getting a motorbike or moped of some kind but I'm too scared to do anything about it
Old 7th July 2005, 22:26

I used to go out cycling on a Sunday morning when there are very few people around. As the number of kids in my area has increased I've gone out less and less... definately, like all excercise, its a good thing to be doing, good for both the body and the mind, I always felt good for it. I cycled to and fro work for a while too but coping with school kids and traffic put me off that one big style.
Old 8th July 2005, 09:44

I'm lucky, the beach is half hour on the bike down quiet back roads through forest dodging horses. Am less anxious on a bike than walking and other cyclists always acknowledge especially on a Sunday morning. Find it exhilirating to be out in nice surroundings and de-stressing riding home from work.
Old 8th July 2005, 11:28
Banned

a few yrs ago i bought myself a bike so i could get myself out more and go places (before i had my car) . It was really good. I didnt have a job at the time so i had all day to go off riding ,altho i only rode around my town. Sa wise, i didnt think of it cos youre concentrating on other stuff, well i was abit sa at 1st cos i handt ridden a bike since i was 10!!
God there was one really embaressing thing, I rode out and silly me was getting carried away ,going too fast and i fell off the bike and crashed on the pavement! This was in town too!!! :embarass:
But I dont wanna put you off. All in all I think its a great idea.
Old 9th July 2005, 02:13
recluse

Post Re: cycling

Hi, luckily I live in North Wales(Anglesey) and there are dedicated routes along country lanes, which makes it easier, but as well as cycling, I find that walking really helps,I am a loner by nature, and I walk places like Offas dyke, Glyndwrs way etc, both are a break from the normal humdrum of lifes stresses. I will be walking Glyndwrs way shortly over a 9 day period, other walkers talk if you want, but its ok just to say hi and walk on. ideal if your feeling too vulnerable
Closed Thread