SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th December 2023, 18:52

Default Vulnerable Narcissism

Not all narcissists are grandiose – the ‘vulnerable’ type can be just as dangerous

This fits me like a glove. It's different to grandiose narcissism, which is the much more common interpretation of the word which wouldn't really describe me at all.

I think people easily see though my act though. I think I must come across as a very insecure and troubled individual. I try far too hard to prove myself, but I feel like I have to.

I dispute the idea that I deliberately set out to hurt people though. I admit I upset a hell of a lot of people, but I don't feel like it's intentional. My behaviour is all down to my own insecurities.

I can't work out how I'm supposed to "get better" though. But maybe that's a part of the condition? I feel like I'm massively persecuted and everyone wants me to fail. There's an element of truth to it though as understandably few have much sympathy for people like me and most advice out there is about how people like me should be avoided.

It's a vicious circle. I wallow in self-pity thinking what a horrible person I am, but I actually am a horrible person for that very reason.
Old 10th December 2023, 19:33

Default Re: Vulnerable Narcissism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise
Not all narcissists are grandiose – the ‘vulnerable’ type can be just as dangerous

This fits me like a glove. It's different to grandiose narcissism, which is the much more common interpretation of the word which wouldn't really describe me at all.

I think people easily see though my act though. I think I must come across as a very insecure and troubled individual. I try far too hard to prove myself, but I feel like I have to.

I dispute the idea that I deliberately set out to hurt people though. I admit I upset a hell of a lot of people, but I don't feel like it's intentional. My behaviour is all down to my own insecurities.

I can't work out how I'm supposed to "get better" though. But maybe that's a part of the condition? I feel like I'm massively persecuted and everyone wants me to fail. There's an element of truth to it though as understandably few have much sympathy for people like me and most advice out there is about how people like me should be avoided.

It's a vicious circle. I wallow in self-pity thinking what a horrible person Ian, but I actually am a horrible person for that very reason.

I had a friend who fits this. Thank you for posting, Sunrise.